What are the cheapest places to live in Eastern Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: What's the cheapest place to live in Eastern Europe?

Post by Voyager1 »

My gf tells me it's safer to buy an apartment than putting money in the bank. If you buy an apartment it will likely appreciate. If you put your money in a bank here you are likely to lose it.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Real estate should be an excellent long term investment in eastern Europe, PROVIDED it doesn't have major problems and you are a local who can fight in court if there are minor problems, like neighbor disputes. Problems would include things like shoddy construction, noise, bad title, property that oligarchs want for some reason and so will expropriate by fair means or foul (single family homes on acreage in the line of development fall into this category). Condos with good noise-proofing, where the building is inhabited by a wide mix of middle class locals, should be a safe and very good long term investment. But I would never buy real estate as a foreigner, no matter how cheap. The prospect of a lawsuit is just too awful when I am traveling most of the year, and lawsuits are always possible with real estate. Then there are corrupt or mismanaged condo associations, the same shit you have in the usa with real estate.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Wait_ are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING? I thought we were talking about buying the room- I suppose that the prospect of a "bail in" or some form of nationalization is possible with bank accounts. During the Great Depression, it seems there had to be an IRS agent present whenever someone opened their safety deposit boxes to take whatever gold they might have stored there.

Governments seem to make things up, adhere to them when they feel like, then act like someone would at the very least be causing the same things they do if they worked against it in a different situation. The concept of "strategic input" seems to be increasingly overvalued (just like how a bodyguard accomplishing THEIR actions isn't more important than the overall goal of generating a protective influence). I think a lot of people think they're Jason Bourne by doing something the government says- kind of like how they think they're part of the special forces team if they're a part of some terrorism-related response (wouldn't likely matter to them if they even if they were the ones getting shot).

Kind of an "at war high" that they get. You hear about this with soldiers, cops, and even biker gangs- there's this flood of "excitatory neurochemicals" & when they're in this state, they might be more likely to get all kinds of pissy & indignant when they get counterattacked than they are to think that they're the ones at fault. These people get a "contact high" from it, same as how they might get a high from other people's ego trip & that ego trip is frequently included in tyrannical bullshit. So someone acts like a tyrannical piece of shit & someone vicariously gets off on it, when they might be one of the victims.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Wolfeye wrote:are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING?
People asking questions. Lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problem. Only solutions.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Voyager1: Look, you've somewhat confused me. First it's $8000 for an apartment, then it's $100-$200, then it's different to buy than to rent (which I didn't think someone could do with an "apartment"), Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?). If you're just trying to go on an ego trip, you might try a drug trip instead.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Wolfeye wrote:Voyager1: Look, you've somewhat confused me. First it's $8000 for an apartment, then it's $100-$200, then it's different to buy than to rent (which I didn't think someone could do with an "apartment"), Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?). If you're just trying to go on an ego trip, you might try a drug trip instead.
An apartment is called a condo in the U.S. when it's privately owned property. You can buy single apartments in Europe, just like here, but they aren't called condos over there. You can buy them for as little as $8K in smaller cities in Ukraine, or you can rent them for $100-200/mo. I've got to admit that, like Voyager1, I thought your profession of confusion about this was just sort of a down-the-rabbit-hole bit of funning, and he responded with in-kind Wonderland riddles.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Voyager1 wrote:
Wolfeye wrote:are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING?
People asking questions. Lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problem. Only solutions.
Ha ha, Lennon seems to have coined a lot of popular quotations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da69-pu_pqc
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Wolfeye wrote:Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?).
If you solve the problem then the problem does not exist anymore and you can correctly say, there's no problem. Only solutions.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

gsjackson: Thanks, that makes sense.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

I'm the one that posted the $8K, and that was for the purchase of a single 1-room apartment, just the apartment.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Where else in Eastern Europe besides Ukraine is cheap to live in too? I heard Eurobrat say Romania is fairly cheap, even in the capitol city. I remember Lithuania was fairly low cost too. Not dirt cheap, but not expensive either. Any other ideas?

Is Poland considered part of Eastern Europe or Central Europe?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

Poland is clearly Central Europe for me.

Belgrade and Bucharest come to mind. They're maybe 10-20% more expensive while still being lively enough and with enough cute women around. Sofia, Bulgaria too but I heard that's properly boring. Of course, you can try a real "shithole country" like Albania, Moldova but I doubt you'll have a lot of fun with the post-Soviet vibe and super cliquey attitudes. There's a reason why these countries are cheap.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Well, Czechia (as it's now called), Slovakia, and Hungary aren't too expensive. They're similar to Spain & Portugal, in prices.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I was recently paying about $330/mo (230 euro plus utilities) for a satisfactory furnished efficiency apartment in Bucharest in what I thought was a good location. A monthly subway pass is $17, buses and trams another $13. Food -- you could easily fill up for $7/day. Ukraine apparently is even cheaper. Bulgaria and Moldova comparable. I think it would be a little harder to find a place that cheap in Belgrade, but maybe not.
Margo
Freshman Poster

Post by Margo »

I believe that Ukraine is not so cheap country to leave. If you want to feel comfortable you need about 2000-3000$ per month there. Thats sound pretty weird, especially when you know salary in this country. But there are a lot of people who earn there such money.