Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What's the cheapest place to live in Eastern Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: What's the cheapest place to live in Eastern Europe?

Postby Voyager1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:51 am

My gf tells me it's safer to buy an apartment than putting money in the bank. If you buy an apartment it will likely appreciate. If you put your money in a bank here you are likely to lose it.
Voyager1
Freshman Poster

Postby retiredfrank » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:06 am

Real estate should be an excellent long term investment in eastern Europe, PROVIDED it doesn't have major problems and you are a local who can fight in court if there are minor problems, like neighbor disputes. Problems would include things like shoddy construction, noise, bad title, property that oligarchs want for some reason and so will expropriate by fair means or foul (single family homes on acreage in the line of development fall into this category). Condos with good noise-proofing, where the building is inhabited by a wide mix of middle class locals, should be a safe and very good long term investment. But I would never buy real estate as a foreigner, no matter how cheap. The prospect of a lawsuit is just too awful when I am traveling most of the year, and lawsuits are always possible with real estate. Then there are corrupt or mismanaged condo associations, the same shit you have in the usa with real estate.
retiredfrank
Freshman Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 am

Wait_ are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING? I thought we were talking about buying the room- I suppose that the prospect of a "bail in" or some form of nationalization is possible with bank accounts. During the Great Depression, it seems there had to be an IRS agent present whenever someone opened their safety deposit boxes to take whatever gold they might have stored there.

Governments seem to make things up, adhere to them when they feel like, then act like someone would at the very least be causing the same things they do if they worked against it in a different situation. The concept of "strategic input" seems to be increasingly overvalued (just like how a bodyguard accomplishing THEIR actions isn't more important than the overall goal of generating a protective influence). I think a lot of people think they're Jason Bourne by doing something the government says- kind of like how they think they're part of the special forces team if they're a part of some terrorism-related response (wouldn't likely matter to them if they even if they were the ones getting shot).

Kind of an "at war high" that they get. You hear about this with soldiers, cops, and even biker gangs- there's this flood of "excitatory neurochemicals" & when they're in this state, they might be more likely to get all kinds of pissy & indignant when they get counterattacked than they are to think that they're the ones at fault. These people get a "contact high" from it, same as how they might get a high from other people's ego trip & that ego trip is frequently included in tyrannical bullshit. So someone acts like a tyrannical piece of shit & someone vicariously gets off on it, when they might be one of the victims.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby Voyager1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Wolfeye wrote:are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING?

People asking questions. Lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problem. Only solutions.
Voyager1
Freshman Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Voyager1: Look, you've somewhat confused me. First it's $8000 for an apartment, then it's $100-$200, then it's different to buy than to rent (which I didn't think someone could do with an "apartment"), Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?). If you're just trying to go on an ego trip, you might try a drug trip instead.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby gsjackson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:59 pm

Wolfeye wrote:Voyager1: Look, you've somewhat confused me. First it's $8000 for an apartment, then it's $100-$200, then it's different to buy than to rent (which I didn't think someone could do with an "apartment"), Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?). If you're just trying to go on an ego trip, you might try a drug trip instead.

An apartment is called a condo in the U.S. when it's privately owned property. You can buy single apartments in Europe, just like here, but they aren't called condos over there. You can buy them for as little as $8K in smaller cities in Ukraine, or you can rent them for $100-200/mo. I've got to admit that, like Voyager1, I thought your profession of confusion about this was just sort of a down-the-rabbit-hole bit of funning, and he responded with in-kind Wonderland riddles.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby Cornfed » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 pm

Voyager1 wrote:
Wolfeye wrote:are we talking about buying an apartment BUILDING?

People asking questions. Lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problem. Only solutions.

Ha ha, Lennon seems to have coined a lot of popular quotations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da69-pu_pqc
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Voyager1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:52 am

Wolfeye wrote:Telling me "there's no problem, only solutions" isn't helpful- point of fact, it's something that doesn't make sense (how are their solutions without problems?).

If you solve the problem then the problem does not exist anymore and you can correctly say, there's no problem. Only solutions.
Voyager1
Freshman Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 pm

gsjackson: Thanks, that makes sense.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby MatureDJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 am

I'm the one that posted the $8K, and that was for the purchase of a single 1-room apartment, just the apartment.
MatureDJ
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to Russia, Ukraine, Former Soviet Republics