Has US foreign policy ruined Russia for us?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Has US foreign policy ruined Russia for us?

Post by Boxman »

As someone who plans to become a real-life HA'er in the next year, and an American smitten with the idea of going to Russia, I've been wondering:

How would I be treated in Russia? I want to go there but wonder if the aggressive foreign policy of my govt has completely ruined Russia for Americans. I'd consider it a miracle if the average Russian doesn't f*cking hate our guts by now. Would I be ostracized or even in physical danger for being an American there?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Re: Has US foreign policy ruined Russia for us?

Post by MatureDJ »

I live there for about 8 months a year. I typically tell anyone who asks and who doesn't speak English that I am from Canada instead of my true country, the USA. Certainly the political tension makes me feel a bit of unease, but it seems that so long as the bilateral visa agreement continues, Americans wanting to go there will be very welcome as there certainly must be more Russians who want to visit the USA, and any requested visa by an American allows Russia to add to its tally of how many Americans want to visit Russia, earning Russia brownie points.

It seems that the political tension is part to make the people more accepting of economic depravity due to the collapse of the price of oil and business interruption due to the sanctions, but also as a bit of a troll against the West to remind them that Russia can't be pushed around.