Wandering Englishman in UA ( Lviv, Kiev, Kharkiv)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Wandering Englishman in UA ( Lviv, Kiev, Kharkiv)

Post by ladislav »

This guy does a great overview of these three cities:

A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Dating Dan
Freshman Poster

Re: Wandering Englishman in UA ( Lviv, Kiev, Kharkiv)

Post by Dating Dan »

Awesome videos, thanks for sharing. For those who have lots of experience in the Ukraine which city do you prefer most and why?
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

There is still a lot of Ukraine that I have not explored, but Kherson is a place I am considering retiring to. Nice people, low cost of living, huge shopping mall (Fabrika), international airport (a very small one) and easy to walk around the center of the city. Not a really exciting place, but I think it would be nice living there.
SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Post by SteveUKR »

The way to buy train tickets in Ukraine is not to stand in long queues. Go to this site:

https://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

Then purchase your ticket(s) online using your credit or debit card. Once your purchase is successful you will be given a QR code which will also be delivered to your email. Make sure to access the QR code on your smartphone. This works for the Express Routes, ie. Kiev <> Lvov, Kiev <> Kharkov, Kiev <> Odessa and some other routes but not all routes. Then when you board the train all you have to do is take your seat. The conductor will come around, usually after the train has left and scan your QR code. You're all set.

On the trains this method does not work on, you will still need a printed ticket. You can print off your ticket yourself or stand in the long queue and they will print it for you. You will need to have your reference number(s).

By the way I did travel in a train Nikolaev - Odessa in the luxe compartment. The luxe compartment has two beds. I noticed an Englishman in the same wagon as me. He purchased the whole room for himself as he did not want anyone else to be in his room. The luxe compartment is peanuts compared to the West so it's the only way to go (unless you are taking an Express train where 1rst or 2nd class is fine.)
Dating Dan
Freshman Poster

Post by Dating Dan »

snede wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 10:29 am
There is still a lot of Ukraine that I have not explored, but Kherson is a place I am considering retiring to. Nice people, low cost of living, huge shopping mall (Fabrika), international airport (a very small one) and easy to walk around the center of the city. Not a really exciting place, but I think it would be nice living there.
Is this a place you have been? Reading up on it and it does sound nice
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Dating Dan wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 8:27 pm
snede wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 10:29 am
Is this a place you have been? Reading up on it and it does sound nice
Yes, I spent almost 3 weeks in Kherson. It's not a 1st tier city and it would likely drive people who like L.A. or New York nuts, but I found it to be very pleasant. There's a lot of growth happening there.
rogers
Freshman Poster

Post by rogers »

I haven't been to many places in Ukraine, but the first city I visited was Kharkiv, and I enjoyed my stay there. I was there for a week and sicne everything was quite new to me and I wanted to experience the city to the fullest. I've stayed in Premier Aurora Hotel (https://www.phnr.com/en/our-hotels/kharkiv). To my surprise hospitality services there were up to the standard. And the food is tasty. Actually Ukrainian cuisine is simple but it's very delicious. Most of my time I spent walking, sightseeing and pubbing. The city itself reminds of all those soviet industrial cities. Nothing much special, but among those soviet apartment buildings you can spot interesting orthodox churches like Annunciation Cathedral (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunciat ... l,_Kharkiv). Also not far away from Kharkiv there's Krasnokutsk Arboretum -- a wonderful place, especially if it's spring
As to the bars and pubs, I liked Pivobar, Rot and Myata Lounge. And if you are a gourmet, visit Shoti (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... blast.html) and Sharikoff (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... blast.html) -- food there is delicious.
I also enjoyed my stay in Kiev. There's definitely more to see than in Kharkiv, but since Kharkiv was the first Ukrainian city I visited, it remains kind of special Ukrainian city to me