Has anyone here ever taught English in Eastern Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Has anyone here ever taught English in Eastern Europe?

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Has anyone here ever taught English in EE?

Post by gsjackson »

If memory serves, Jackal was doing it in Hungary for several years, and Think Different in Germany and Prague. But you'd have to PM them, as they haven't posted in a long time. Then there's your old buddy Yick, who I think did it in Russia, but I can understand if PMing him might be a bridge too far, unless it's to tell him to go f*ck himself.

And welcome back, Ghost.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 29th, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

I wrote a very extensive guide on that topic here: http://moscownightguide.com/teaching-en ... sia-guide/

Basic points:

-Don't do it for the money
-Don't do it if you haven't got another goal
-Don't do it for the girls
-Don't do it for a long time
-Don't do it if you're socially awkward
-Don't think you'll make good money if you don't put in the effort and haven't got a clue what you're doing

Do it if you're ready to hustle hard, be at it constantly, have a talent for communication and languages and are a self-starter.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

I think he means don't do it thinking you'll make a lot of money. I know a guy who does volunteer English teaching.
Last edited by TruthSeeker on August 11th, 2018, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

IvanMNG wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:32 pm
I wrote a very extensive guide on that topic here: http://moscownightguide.com/teaching-en ... sia-guide/

Basic points:

-Don't think you'll make good money if you don't put in the effort and haven't got a clue what you're doing

Do it if you're ready to hustle hard, be at it constantly, have a talent for communication and languages and are a self-starter.
Thanks for this. I'm planning on doing a CELTA in Moscow beginning in October, and all of this is very helpful. One question: How much are you using your voice during a typical one-hour lesson? My main concern is that mine would wear out easily over the course of a 24-hour work week (which is the most I would ever do -- I have a small passive income supplement).
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

IvanMNG wrote:
Or to summarise:
-Don't do it
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

To address the questions:

-I only do 1-on-1 tutoring and hence have to use my voice all the time. Needless to say that having 3-4 sessions a day is draining as hell. Class teaching isn't much different.
-Don't do it for the money as in don't think you'll start teaching English and live a good life. Uhm, no. Unless you work your butt off you're better off doing something at home in terms of standard of living.
-Don't do it for the girls as in don't take a shitty job in a foreign country only to chase tail. I cannot comment too much on how girls view English teachers, I speak a bunch of languages and they're impressed by that. It might be different for your run-of-the-mill teacher with bad to no local language skills.

I really cannot find a lot of reasons why you should do it. I got into it myself more out of necessity but I have a talent for languages and good social skills so I can carve something out. As a "regular teacher" you're a commodity, there are lots of them out there. Not a good niche to pick.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I taught English in Moscow once. I didn't have a degree or certificate. But it was a shady school that takes anyone willing to work. You don't need a work visa. But such schools are not accredited. They will pay you less and often pay you late too. So such schools exist. It's just that you will have to take lower pay and sometimes late payments too. It's a bit shady, but better than nothing.

On the other hand there are accredited English schools like English First, that are professional and high quality, but their standards or admittance are going to be higher. You will need a TEFL or TESOL certificate or something like that. I tried to apply there but never heard back from them.

I also worked for a business gazette too, writing business news articles. You can get those too, if you are a good writer. Or work as an editor in some English publication there. You get like 50 dollars per article. Not bad. But you gotta live on the outskirts of the city to get cheaper rent. Or stay in a hostel everyday. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Penguin
Freshman Poster

Re: Has anyone here ever taught English in Eastern Europe?

Post by The_Penguin »

IvanMNG wrote:

Basic points:

What do you mean by socially awkward? I think a large number of guys might be socially awkward if they go abroad to get a woman.
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Re: Has anyone here ever taught English in Eastern Europe?

Post by IvanMNG »

Well, then these exact guys should not be teaching English as well.

I was in Russia for other reasons before that (study,work) and that was the financially most viable route that opened up for me. As I said, it is not easy at all and I'm rather good with both languages and social skills. So I'd not recommend it to anyone really.

As far as resources go, I want to use that as content upgrade but haven't gotten around to implementing it yet. There are a ton of schools out there but most of them are trash and pay funny money. English First among them.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 29th, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.