Long term visa to Russia virtually impossible now!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
polya
Junior Poster

Long term visa to Russia virtually impossible now!

Post by polya »

I've been going to Russia since 2007. Since August 2007 Russians have tightened up visas so much that it really is impossible to live there long term.

Theres so many impossible and contradictory laws that its impossible to meet them all, and you can get fined or barred from the country anytime for not meeting any one rule. For example having to register your visa at the address where you stay (the landlord has to do it & usually won't), having to carry passport 100% of the time (easy to forget, or you might leave it in another jacket's pocket)...

The worst is that they brought in a 90/180 rule - you must leave Russia for 90 days after you have lived there for 90 days. - This in itself make it impossible to live there as I can't pay rent on a flat when I leave it for 3 months and have to pay double rent to live somewhere else.

Also, you have to go back to your own country to get a visa - so you leave for 3 months, then have to go home (to New Zealand for me) to get visa, then return to Russia.

Not to mention having to get an invitation from a russian company to get a 3 month visa, have my own business in NZ to write a letter on letterhead paper to say my business will pay my expenses in Russia.

Not to mention how Moscow is the most expensive city in the world, the petty crime, the numerous "cons" and rip off taxi drivers, it really is impossible now.

Getting a working visa or permanent residence is also a bureaucratic nightmare. Marrying a Russian girl still doesn't guarantee residency!
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Russia has always been a paranoid , nationalistic state with problems to get into and get out of the country for many people. They used to make it nearly impossible to leave it, now they are making it impossible to stay there. As Americans, they see themselves as a promised land and often treat foreigners with scorn.

Unless you have supernatural powers to influence their politicians' mind or a lot of money, it is better to 'live' there as a PT- spend physical time there, get out, go someplace else and come back. This of course makes it hard to live a 'normal' life- get married, have a family, etc. But a PT's life is not normal, so one has to try and see advantages in one's status in other aspects of one's life. For one, life of unattachment is praised in many Eastern philosophies and is seen as a good thing. Who knows, maybe there are people who envy us. I know that many people in Ukraine think that I live a great life.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Are you sure? Have you gone to gotorussia.net? You can order long term visas there. You can get anything you want in Russia as long as you can pay for it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

Hasn't also the whole Schengen region imposed that annoying 90-day rule too for visitors from third countries where after the time you're alotted to stay, you must remain away for at least 90 days? What I wonder about is what prompted such a rule.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Why don't you just get a job teaching EFL in Russia? Many people live there like that, if I am not mistaken. Why not check out http://www.eslcafe.com and ask questions on the "international jobs forum?" You can get a DELTA/CELTA certificate- they have a boot camp class ( if you have a BA/BS) and I think you can live there as a teacher. Schools there are dying for a teacher every day and posting ads. Do you have a BA degree? If so, get the certificate and the way you go!
hamdizzel
Freshman Poster

Post by hamdizzel »

can i ask why you want to live in russia? i understand visiting a few times a year
i don't think thats too difficult. the woman are about the only
thing that it seems to have and a bit of culture and history but too many cons

1.most cities in russia is super expensive for the citizens
that live there. its probably double for everything when a foreigner
comes to town food,rent, clothes, taxes (if you decide to become a citizen)

2.the winters are like Minnesota x10 they don't get an inch of
sunlight for 6 months straight that also means snow which means
drivers driving in snow 6 months a year you would be lucky if you crossed
a street without your head falling off.

3> Russia does not seem at least the Russian government
to not want tourists and foreigners come to thier country and live
and work i say shit if they don't want you whats the point in going?
go somewhere that welcomes foreigners from other countries

again these are my thoughts do what you wish
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

hamdizzel wrote:can i ask why you want to live in russia? i understand visiting a few times a year
i don't think thats too difficult. the woman are about the only
thing that it seems to have and a bit of culture and history but too many cons

1.most cities in russia is super expensive for the citizens
that live there. its probably double for everything when a foreigner
comes to town food,rent, clothes, taxes (if you decide to become a citizen)

2.the winters are like Minnesota x10 they don't get an inch of
sunlight for 6 months straight that also means snow which means
drivers driving in snow 6 months a year you would be lucky if you crossed
a street without your head falling off.

3> Russia does not seem at least the Russian government
to not want tourists and foreigners come to thier country and live
and work i say shit if they don't want you whats the point in going?

again these are my thoughts do what you wish
The OP has his own reasons to live in Russia. I personally would not want to, but if he wants to do that, there are ways. One needs to do it outside of Moscow. Russia has immigration quotas by cities. Smaller towns give one year residencies and these are slowly converted to permanent and then to citizenship. Africans do it all the time. Moscow is tightly controlled for anyone coming in, including out of towners.
But if you really want to live there, why not get an ESL job? These will take care of your visa and you could stay there long term.
Last edited by ladislav on May 15th, 2010, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Ukraine is a case in point. It is full of Arabs, Africans and Indians running around with visas and girls and all. And Ukrainians do not have the messianic arrogance about their country. You got cash? Come on in!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I dont get the fascination with RWs. They have a different system of ethics over there. And my friend who married a Russian says their ethics are so bad that even Russians are highly suspicious of one another. My east European friends cant stand Russians.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

A very interesting topic for sure. How do they differ? Hmmm. Well, there everything is based on friendship. You have a friend and he will die for you. Friendship is very strong and lasts a lifetime. It is a country of men, not of laws. The good thing about it is that you will never be lonely or unprotected. The right connections are easy to form if you are a nice guy and people like you. The bad thing is that you are supposed to let people get away with dishonesty. As long as it seems a good thing even if it is shady, it is OK. And they will forgive you if you screw up or do something shady.

In America people stick to rules and friendships are short and for convenience's sake. Dirty tactics are OK as long as they are legal. Your best friend can report you and snitch on you. After all, it is not illegal. Rules and laws are treated as God given commandments. Friendship or anything based on it is rarely valued.

Just a few things. I did not live there long enough as an adult or done business there.
Last edited by ladislav on July 10th, 2010, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

We could use a very indepth and detailed post about Russian Ethics and what they are and how they differ.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

globetrotter wrote:We could use a very indepth and detailed post about Russian Ethics and what they are and how they differ.
JimP, if you remember him from Dontmarry, used to post every so often on this topic. Probably some posts of his archived over there. Look up "Easier to kill you than repay the debt they owe you," etc.