Tijuana?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster

Tijuana?

Post by Tonitrus »

Is it safe to go to Tijuana right now?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Tijuana?

Post by momopi »

Tonitrus wrote:Is it safe to go to Tijuana right now?
If you intend to go there to party, you can call some of the clubs and they'd send a limo to fetch you at the border.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

If you have to ask you don't need to go.

But the answer is yes I went down during the start of some of the drug war spilling out in the streets, only IT WAS THE STREETS OF MEXICO CITY, NOT TJ!

The army and police are heavily armed in the Zona, I wouldn't worry.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Tijuana?

Post by Rock »

Tonitrus wrote:Is it safe to go to Tijuana right now?
I just left there 2 days ago. People seem nice and engaging (the way Winston likes), weather is fantastic, infrastructure is so much improved from a decade ago, food is great and available into late hours, and many of the girls look fantastic. It was so much cleaner, calmer, and quieter than Angeles City, seems almost first world. If you wanna improve the quality of experience, avoid downtown clubs at night (I didn't waste anytime there). Baja California going down to Ensenada and beyond is certainly worth exploring. You get SoCal weather and nice beaches combined with easy going Mexican culture.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I was there a month ago for some dental work. It is safe.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Absolutely yes, if you don't drink too much, do drugs, or get into anywhere near trouble. It's like any big city in America. I avoid the nightclubs, and instead visit friends, go to parks, visit museums, and hop around local stores in Tijuana.

The chances of running into narco violence are near zero. Tijuana's reputation is completely exaggerated these days. It is sort of messy, but not a war zone as the media would like you to believe.

Watch out for the deportees who recently got out of the California state prisons system, and they often around the pedestrian bridge that goes over the Tijuana River. Don't attract too much attention from the cops, because they could potentially shake you down for money. I would also recommend a money belt. Other than that, you should be safe.