Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What do you think about Costa Rica, its people and culture?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

What do you think about Costa Rica, its people and culture?

Postby ll444 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 am

If you have been to Costa Rica, as a tourist or a resident, what do you think about that country and its people and culture?

Was CR what you expected it to be? Did it exceed your expectations or fail to measure up to other Latin American countries you have visited?
ll444
Freshman Poster

Re: Costa Rica vs Mexico

Postby Jester » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 pm

ll444 wrote:If you have been to Costa Rica, as a tourist or a resident, what do you think about that country and its people and culture?

Was CR what you expected it to be? Did it exceed your expectations or fail to measure up to other Latin American countries you have visited?

Bumping an old thread here.

CR vs Mexico.

Thoughts?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby fschmidt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I visited Costa Rica about 20 years ago and wasn't very impressed with the people. The women were less friendly than in most of Latin America and the food is tied with Chile as the worst food in Latin America. (It's interesting that good food correlates with good women.) The main reason to visit Costa Rica is for the landscape which is quite beautiful. For the people, Mexico is much better.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 am

fschmidt wrote:I visited Costa Rica about 20 years ago and wasn't very impressed with the people. The women were less friend than in most of Latin America and the food is tied with Chile as the worst food in Latin America.

Re Costa Rica, I take you at your word, thanks.

But CR was suggested to me not for women, but for business climate.

I was talking to a successful American in Rosarito who is developing some lots there. He said that life there in Northern Baja is very nice, but can be boring after a couple of months. American retirees everywhere. I asked him where a young man who wants to work should go. He said New Zealand. I said what about if we are restricting it to Latin America. He said Costa Rica. He said that the country has a lot of business opportunity, is on a roll, and go-getters are welcome.

What are your thoughts on this?

fschmidt wrote:(It's interesting that good food correlates with good women.

So you probably don't go for Filipinas?

:wink:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby fschmidt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Sorry, I don't know anything about the business climate in Costa Rica.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster

Postby OutWest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:47 pm

fschmidt wrote:I visited Costa Rica about 20 years ago and wasn't very impressed with the people. The women were less friend than in most of Latin America and the food is tied with Chile as the worst food in Latin America. (It's interesting that good food correlates with good women.) The main reason to visit Costa Rica is for the landscape which is quite beautiful. For the people, Mexico is much better.

Costa Rica...nice place to visit..would not live there on a bet. Real estate is overpriced, I can buy a good house in the US in some places for less. Women? You MIGHT find some hot ones there- usually they are from Colombia. If you are in business you will be the target of every con man and government shyster that exists...

Overall, it is a glorified banana republic, a "Democracy" controlled by just a few ruling families. Enjoy, visit, pay too much, then move on. For relocating it is far better to find a real country.

Outwest
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 am

OutWest wrote:
Overall, it is a glorified banana republic, a "Democracy" controlled by just a few ruling families. Enjoy, visit, pay too much, then move on. For relocating it is far better to find a real country.

Outwest

Such as?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby CannedHam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Jester wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Outwest

Such as?

If you're thinking Central/South America, Chile is the way to go.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Postby OutWest » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:57 pm

CannedHam wrote:
Jester wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Outwest

Such as?

If you're thinking Central/South America, Chile is the way to go.

+1

Chile is a far more advanced society, with the highest degree of economic and political freedom. Chile has very little public debt and is friendly to certain classes of immigration.

Though I am in the Philippines, I am in the process of beginning to establish residency in Chile and will spend more than half my year there in the future. In addition, if one becomes a Chilean citizen, a Chilean passport is actually useful as opposed to others from such countries as the Philippines and most of Latin America.

outwest
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby manly5000 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I thought I read that the women in Chile weren't all that great, kinda like Argentina/semi westernized behavior. If that's true and it's true that the food sucks, I don't think I'll be looking to go there to find a girl. :P
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Postby CannedHam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:46 pm

manly5000 wrote:I thought I read that the women in Chile weren't all that great, kinda like Argentina/semi westernized behavior. If that's true and it's true that the food sucks, I don't think I'll be looking to go there to find a girl. :P

Stop reading and go there and see for yourself. I assure you there are plenty of nice, traditional women in Chile. You may have to go to a smaller city since the urban areas do tend to be more liberal (much like here in the US.) The women in Chile, at least the ones I know/have met, tend to be quite religious, so keep that in mind.

The food in Chile, however, sucks ass.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Postby OutWest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 am

manly5000 wrote:I thought I read that the women in Chile weren't all that great, kinda like Argentina/semi westernized behavior. If that's true and it's true that the food sucks, I don't think I'll be looking to go there to find a girl. :P

Thanks for the boost...I showed the "bad place to find a girl" comment to my wife. Now she wants to move to Chile tomorrow! LOL
Really, I do not need to prowl for girls...I have a 20's nympho that does just fine.

The food? Yes, a lot of Chilean food is nothing special, but we are not helpless, we actually have something called a KITCHEN and the food at the Outwest cafe is splendid!

We like Chile because it is the least corrupt country in Latin America, rule of law, good property rights, and VERY LOW taxation.

Outwest
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby manly5000 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 am

Well in your case Outwest the circumstances are different, so I suppose you'd have other motives... that's cool.

Are you planning to "Live like a King in Patagonia"? Name that movie! :P
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America