Afro-Latinas?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Iawesome60
Freshman Poster

Afro-Latinas?

Post by Iawesome60 »

This is a question dedicated to members who traveled to Latin America and/or has been around Afro-Latinas. Is it true that Afro-Latinas do not like dating men of African descent? I heard from a youtube member that they'll act hostile towards you if they're darker than you. I'm aware that there is a color problem in Latin America. The Spaniards and Portuguese are responsible for this color issue.
There aren't many attractive women (inside and outside) in America. A man wants a physically attractive woman with attractive personality traits. American women usually don't have that combination.

Ever since I found Winston's website and read the information on there, my life has been much easier and I've been a MUCH more happier person!

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap. ~Author Unknown (Quote about women)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Black American men usually find themselves well accepted in the Caribbean and in Brazil. Not sure about Colombia and Panama. I know that Dominicans generally don't like Haitians. So I guess in the Dominican Republic, if you're far darker than them like the Haitians are, then there would probably be a greater chance of that happening. But if you're well-mannered and considerate, I don't think skin color should be way too much of a problem.

Brazil is supposed to be the most racially tolerant country in Latin America.

I'm of Chinese descent, and the Afro-Latinas I've met were all super friendly and even flirty with me.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Falcon wrote:Black American men usually find themselves well accepted in the Caribbean and in Brazil. Not sure about Colombia and Panama. I know that Dominicans generally don't like Haitians. So I guess in the Dominican Republic, if you're far darker than them like the Haitians are, then there would probably be a greater chance of that happening. But if you're well-mannered and considerate, I don't think skin color should be way too much of a problem.

Brazil is supposed to be the most racially tolerant country in Latin America.

I'm of Chinese descent, and the Afro-Latinas I've met were all super friendly and even flirty with me.
What about African American men? How are they received in Mexico?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Honestly, not very well. Afro-Mexicans from the Costa Chica of southern Mexico say that they're socially stigmatized. I did see a Haitian guy with his Mexican girlfriend in Mexico City, but they'd stick out a lot. The government of Peru has also recently apologized to its Afro-Peruvians for centuries of discrimination.

Nonetheless, don't be discouraged. If people are racist, they're not worth your time anyways. Think of it this way: it's their loss, since they're missing out on a lot of things just by judging a person by his skin color. :D
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Falcon wrote:
Honestly, not very well. Afro-Mexicans from the Costa Chica of southern Mexico say that they're socially stigmatized. I did see a Haitian guy with his Mexican girlfriend in Mexico City, but they'd stick out a lot. The government of Peru has also recently apologized to its Afro-Peruvians for centuries of discrimination.

Nonetheless, don't be discouraged. If people are racist, they're not worth your time anyways. Think of it this way: it's their loss, since they're missing out on a lot of things just by judging a person by his skin color. :D
I was asking since I am African American myself, and I just want to know all the possible pitfalls before doing something so i know what to expect.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Falcon wrote:

Uh fuckin' haw! I knew Perú was on some bullshit. Where is Contrarian Expatriate? He should read this.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Uh fuckin' haw! I knew Perú was on some bullshit. Where is Contrarian Expatriate? He should read this.
Check out this blog. http://peruanista.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... es-to.html

Plus, here's a news article about it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8384853.stm

Peru apologises for abuse of African-origin citizens

Peru has apologised for the first time to its citizens of African origin for centuries of "abuse, exclusion and discrimination".

The government said racially-motivated harassment still hindered the social and professional development of many African-Peruvians.

A public ceremony will be held to apologise to African-Peruvians, who make up 5-10% of the population.

Their ancestors were brought as slaves to the region by Spanish colonisers.

Women's and Social Development Minister Nidia Vilchez said the government wanted the apology to promote the "true integration of all Peru's multicultural population," Associated Press news agency reported.

The time of the ceremony was not mentioned in the declaration published in the official newspaper El Peruano.

Years of denial

Peru is not the first Latin American country to apologise to its black population, but it went a step further in recognising that racist exclusion continues to this day.

Some human rights groups have said the recognition is an important political gesture after years of denial that discrimination existed.

But other experts have criticised the fact that the apology did not refer to slavery and say it makes no concrete promise to change the status quo for African-Peruvians in the present day.

The first Africans arrived in Peru in the 16th Century as slaves of the Spanish conquistadors.

Slavery was abolished in Peru in 1854.

Since then African-Peruvians have made an extremely important contribution to Peruvian culture, particularly in the arts, cuisine and sport, says the BBC's Dan Collyns in Lima.

Observers have pointed out that while the apology is significant, Afro-Peruvians are not the only ethnic group to face discrimination in Peru.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This is the most candid and accurate discussion of Peru I have encountered yet. My experience in Peru in the 1980's was similar to what is described in the blog.

I was somewhat protected from the blatant discrimination since back then, my dollars were very valuable back then. However, Peru and people who like Peru have the tendency to claim that it is not racist when in fact it is one of the most race-obsessed cultures in the world.

If I hear another black man claim that Peru is great for black men just because he had a memorable experience with a prostitute there, I will blow my stack. That is not to say that some women in Peru might give the time of day to a black man. However, the best looking, middle class and above women there will look upon the black man with disdain.

I'm glad I learned early that that country and region was not for me.

Trust me, it gets way better than Peru for black men. White men, however, can run the table there without a doubt. Blonde white men can have a new girl each night!
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Falcon wrote:

I believe that a lot of the tension with Mexican and African-American communities in states like CA is due to some of this imported racism. There are a couple videos that talk about the root causes of the tension. Mexicans still come from a colonial hierarchy after all.

Falcon, you've talked at length about your positive experiences in Mexico did you ever receive any negative experiences due to race?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Surprisingly, no. I do sometimes stand out and friendly people warmly call me "chino" all the time, at least in northern Mexico, but that's not a derogatory term. People in southern Mexico would rarely blurt out "chino" the first time they meet me. (Northern Mexicans are more strongly conscious of race.) But unlike in the US, where people don't say anything about your race, I don't feel there's any covert racism. They're point out that I'm "chino" right in my face, but that's all part of their exuberant friendliness and curiosity. On the other hand, Americans usually wouldn't say anything, but often hold much more judgments and stereotypes on the inside. For instance, I would know that they've already preconceived me as nerdy, or what not.

The only stereotype they seemed to have about East Asians was the martial arts one. I get confronted with that a lot. They also know that China is a world power, and would often compliment me by saying my (supposed) intelligence and open-mindedness is evidence of China's being a great world power. Mexicans appeared to be completely unaware of the nerd, super-smart, asexual Asian male, and China doll stereotypes. In fact, most part Chinese people in Mexico have Chinese descent through their fathers' side. One common perception (or rather, joke) is that of Chinese as drug smugglers, because of the recent Zhenli Ye Gon incident. A few people had openly call me "chino narco" as a light joke, and I'd always laugh along with them.

Sinophobia did exist in some parts of northern Mexico in the early 1900's. For instance, sometime in the early 1900's, 300 Chinese were massacred by Maderista rebels in Torreon, Coahuila. Sonora and Sinaloa had brutal Chinese expulsion policies. Safe havens for Chinese included Mexicali and Chihuahua. But this is all a forgotten part of Mexican history, even more so than the similar sinophobia that occurred in the United States from the mid-1800's to the mid-1900's. In Mexico it was much shorter.

But today, Mexicans think of their country has multicultural and multiethnic, and today they're proud to tell you that the country has "muchos chinos." Even though every now and then people complain about how China is taking away their jobs, and their blatant discrimination towards Mexican travelers during the swine flu hype, Mexicans usually think positively of their resident Chinese as honest, hardworking businessmen, merchants, and restaurant owners. One guy told me that he thought very highly of chinos and always felt super safe around them ("se portan muy bien, son gente muy buena"), while he despises centroamericanos (Guatemalans, Salvadorans, Hondurans) because they always cause a lot of trouble.

I asked the local Chinese whether they feel prejudiced by other Mexicans. They all said no, and that they felt Mexicans are extraordinarily well-mannered and sincere. Some even said that they feel more prejudiced towards Mexicans than Mexicans are towards them!

The Chinese are also the second-largest non-Hispanic minority in Mexico, after the American expats.
Last edited by Falcon on November 11th, 2011, 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

So, Mexicans are highly conscious of your appearance and will not hesitate to comment about it. Among themselves, Mexicans would tend to like the whiter family members. For instance, if a child is born whiter, they will think of him/her as cuter. Nevertheless, some Mexicans would refuse to partake in that and would instead display "moreno" and "indigena" pride.

But Mexicans care far more about how you fit in culturally rather than racially. If you speak Spanish with a good accent, know a lot about Mexican geography and history, and try to put on as much Mexican culture as you can, you will really impress them and gain even more acceptance from them.
Jeygonza
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeygonza »

Think Falcon opinion is a littler hard about Dominican woman. I'm from Dominican Republic and i don't care if you are African, European or whatever, its true some Dominican women prefer white men, but what can we do is her problem. But me i don't care, we have a lot of tourist here and we always give our best as a country regardless of nationality .
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

jeinmy_paul wrote:Think Falcon opinion is a littler hard about Dominican woman. I'm from Dominican Republic and i don't care if you are African, European or whatever, its true some Dominican women prefer white men, but what can we do is her problem. But me i don't care, we have a lot of tourist here and we always give our best as a country regardless of nationality .
Que hay de nuevo, Jeinmy? I think you are right because it seems that primarily Dominicans in NYC have a bias towards Blacks because Dominicans don't want to come to America to be at the bottom of the nueva sociedad and don't want to be treated as Blacks because they see that Blacks are at the bottom of the American society. Sin embargo, en RD, there's more tolerance towards Blacks whom visit RD because they are seen as gringos and not as Haitianos, which Dominicans in RD usually have a problem with. Tengo razon? Me lo equivoco?
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

http://www.pacificpearl.com/archive/200 ... ature1.htm

Back in the early 1900's in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico:
He [Carlos Ley, a Chinese immigrant in Mexico] and his wife raised seven children, six boys and a girl. ... Eventually all the boys married local Mexican girls.
That could never happen in the U.S. in the early 1900's. 6 Chinese boys all marrying local American girls? No way. Segregation and the Jim Crow laws were in place back then!

In viewtopic.php?p=43841 adria2789 said,
I heard an old rhyme growing up. I didn't know its significance til recently "Chino, chino, japones come caca y no me des" (in English: "Chinese, Chinese, Japanese: eat shit and don't give me any"). It was an old rhyme that kids in Mexico would chant to their Asian classmates. It might of stem from the anti chinese movement during the Mexican revolution..
In the past, northern Mexico did have anti-Chinese sentiment, which had originally come from the United States. But in spite of this most Chinese men still married local Mexican women. Both the U.S. and Mexico were racist societies, but in different ways. Just look at how each nation had treated Native Americans.