Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Is Latin America Americanized? Should we look 4 alternatives

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Is Latin America Americanized? Should we look 4 alternatives

Postby diablo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Brazil is one of my favorite places in the world and i am so glad I visited, but it appears that the traditional family is corroding.

A few months ago I read of a case where a daugher sued her father $110,000 US in a liability suit she filed against her father for emotional distance. She sued her own father for not hugging her enough. This is something I'd expect to see in another country but not Brazil. Brazil seem to be getting high on this state feminism they got going on. I'm not sure if its a product of development or just inevitable change. There are debates about legalizing abortion, gay marriage etc. They’ve even added a fancy little law on divorce that says the woman gets the house 100% of the time regardless of the circumstances of divorce.
I'm sure this same problem will be spreading to the rest of Latin America but I hope its slower than whats happening in Brazil. I am glad that women are seeing more equality and Latin America has female leaders but at the same time I am worried of Latin America's continually shift to Americanization.
diablo
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 am
Location: London, UK







Re: Is Latin America Americanized? Should we look 4 alternat

Postby Teal Lantern » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:12 pm

diablo wrote:Brazil is one of my favorite places in the world and i am so glad I visited, but it appears that the traditional family is corroding.

A few months ago I read of a case where a daugher sued her father $110,000 US in a liability suit she filed against her father for emotional distance. She sued her own father for not hugging her enough. This is something I'd expect to see in another country but not Brazil. Brazil seem to be getting high on this state feminism they got going on. I'm not sure if its a product of development or just inevitable change. There are debates about legalizing abortion, gay marriage etc. They’ve even added a fancy little law on divorce that says the woman gets the house 100% of the time regardless of the circumstances of divorce.
I'm sure this same problem will be spreading to the rest of Latin America but I hope its slower than whats happening in Brazil. I am glad that women are seeing more equality and Latin America has female leaders but at the same time I am worried of Latin America's continually shift to Americanization.



No one's going to believe a thing like this if you don't provide any way to verify it. :wink:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-0 ... orces.html
http://www.in.gov.br/visualiza/index.js ... Arquivos=2

http://human-stupidity.com/stupid-dogma ... ff-a-woman



не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby publicduende » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 pm

It's a weird story. True, women can be more regretful and vindicative than most men, yet I tend to believe this case could have happened to a young son, too. The only objective reality is that Brazil has a middle class that is growing richer and many a disgruntled youngster could start treating their parents as golden egg geese. In my country (Italy) I can report the story of a young woman who had her parents' blessing to get married to a man of her choice. When things turned sour and her prince charming started to cheat on her, she turned against her parents accusing them of forcing her into marriage, and demanding for financial compensation. Then the story goes on to reveal that she had a vested interest in doing it anyway, as her father had some money stashed in Switzerland and had no intention to release it to her.

The path towards women gaining more rights in every aspect of social and personal life, including divorce, is part of the development of any modern society. It cannot be stopped. One can only hope countries rooted in more traditional woman/man roles and family values may provide some inertia and guidance on how this development may turn out as smoothly as possible.

After all, guys, if you feel the woman you love, or who says she loves you, may threaten you to leave you in a pot of blood, stolen kids and assets, the day after you get married to her, then the solution is quite simple. Don't get married :)
User avatar
publicduende
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Postby Teal Lantern » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 pm

publicduende wrote:It's a weird story. True, women can be more regretful and vindicative than most men, yet I tend to believe this case could have happened to a young son, too. The only objective reality is that Brazil has a middle class that is growing richer and many a disgruntled youngster could start treating their parents as golden egg geese. In my country (Italy) I can report the story of a young woman who had her parents' blessing to get married to a man of her choice. When things turned sour and her prince charming started to cheat on her, she turned against her parents accusing them of forcing her into marriage, and demanding for financial compensation. Then the story goes on to reveal that she had a vested interest in doing it anyway, as her father had some money stashed in Switzerland and had no intention to release it to her.

The path towards women gaining more rights in every aspect of social and personal life, including divorce, is part of the development of any modern society. It cannot be stopped. One can only hope countries rooted in more traditional woman/man roles and family values may provide some inertia and guidance on how this development may turn out as smoothly as possible.

After all, guys, if you feel the woman you love, or who says she loves you, may threaten you to leave you in a pot of blood, stolen kids and assets, the day after you get married to her, then the solution is quite simple. Don't get married :)


I don't follow how giving the woman possession of the man's property can be construed in any positive way as "development", unless one is trying to develop antipathy.

Your simple
"Don't get married" solution indicates that you missed this part "In the case of separation, divorce, or undoing of a stable long term relationship, the ownership title of the real estate acquired through "My House, My Life" will be given to the women, or transferred to her regardless of the marital property regime."

Today's "don't get married" quickly becomes tomorrow's "don't live together" and the following day's "don't work with" and "don't date".

The tyrant doesn't stay put. In the USA, when the screening process to fly was made much more invasive, the head bureaucrat said of people who didn't like it "then don't fly". So many of them stopped flying as much. Now, a similar screening process is being rolled out onto the highways, where it can't be avoided.

This Brazilian program is called "My House, My Life" and that's going to prove a very ironic name. There will be a "pot of blood", but it will contain many women who tried to take advantage and cash out the wrong men from the house that he bought.
Last edited by Teal Lantern on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby Rock » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:23 pm

publicduende wrote:It's a weird story. True, women can be more regretful and vindicative than most men, yet I tend to believe this case could have happened to a young son, too. The only objective reality is that Brazil has a middle class that is growing richer and many a disgruntled youngster could start treating their parents as golden egg geese. In my country (Italy) I can report the story of a young woman who had her parents' blessing to get married to a man of her choice. When things turned sour and her prince charming started to cheat on her, she turned against her parents accusing them of forcing her into marriage, and demanding for financial compensation. Then the story goes on to reveal that she had a vested interest in doing it anyway, as her father had some money stashed in Switzerland and had no intention to release it to her.

The path towards women gaining more rights in every aspect of social and personal life, including divorce, is part of the development of any modern society. It cannot be stopped. One can only hope countries rooted in more traditional woman/man roles and family values may provide some inertia and guidance on how this development may turn out as smoothly as possible.

After all, guys, if you feel the woman you love, or who says she loves you, may threaten you to leave you in a pot of blood, stolen kids and assets, the day after you get married to her, then the solution is quite simple. Don't get married :)


And don't have kids either!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Middle East and Africa

Postby diablo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Teal for providing the links.

I believe that the state feminism that is happening in brazil make actually make it similar to sweden one day.

We men may need to abandon brazil and latin american countries for middle east and africa as alternatives. Is the middle east in danger of becoming like this?
diablo
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 am
Location: London, UK

Postby publicduende » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Teal Lantern wrote:Your simple [/color]"Don't get married" solution indicates that you missed this part "In the case of separation, divorce, or undoing of a stable long term relationship, the ownership title of the real estate acquired through "My House, My Life" will be given to the women, or transferred to her regardless of the marital property regime."

Today's "don't get married" quickly becomes tomorrow's "don't live together" and the following day's "don't work with" and "don't date".

The tyrant doesn't stay put. In the USA, when the screening process to fly was made much more invasive, the head bureaucrat said of people who didn't like it "then don't fly". So many of them stopped flying as much. Now, a similar screening process is being rolled out onto the highways, where it can't be avoided.

This Brazilian program is called "My House, My Life" and that's going to prove a very ironic name. There will be a "pot of blood", but it will contain many women who tried to take advantage and cash out the wrong men from the house that he bought.


I admit I hadn't read the articles until replying here. It looks to me that:
1) the deal is only applicable to properties acquired via a recent government subsidy program meant for working class and perhaps lower-middle class families. I really don't think a middle class or wealthy person with one or more houses privately bought (via a standard mortgage) will be in fear of his casual dates claiming half of his assets any time soon;
2) the deal is still pending congressional approval; now I am curious to see if the vast majority of Brazilian politicians required to vote or veto are as open-minded and pro-women as Dilma Rousseff.

My previous "don't get married" remark was slightly ironic, though. Entering a stable relationship, then marriage, then becoming a father is a matter of loving your woman and knowing for sure that she loves you back and commitment is shared, not one-sided. Without these certainties I wouldn't feel comfortable at all to marry. My Monica is the most extraordinary woman I have ever met in my life, yet I kept her on the line for almost 2 years before I agreed to fly to Medellin to marry her. Call it winning the lottery, call it wisdom acquired via 10+ years of trials and errors, but my "thing" with her is working. I feel even happier and more in love now than I was when I first met of had sex with her.

Just like the most draconian screening processes won't completely quench human desire to travel and explore other cultures, no feminist measures against married men will put off a man's or woman's desire to fall in love and be loved back. Unfortunately, in the scenario you depict, I can see lots of people either gender falling into trapholes and suffering for that. It won't be an easy road. Yet, I always like to stick to the old saying, "know thyself and you will know what woman is right for you".

Falling in love is like jumping off a cliff holding hands with your partner, feeling absolutely certain that both of you will grow wings mid air and fly away, instead of the nasty crash that the laws of physics predict. It's a risk. This is what makes life interesting.
User avatar
publicduende
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:03 am

Teal Lantern wrote:Your simple [/color]"Don't get married" solution indicates that you missed this part "In the case of separation, divorce, or undoing of a stable long term relationship, the ownership title of the real estate acquired through "My House, My Life" will be given to the women, or transferred to her regardless of the marital property regime."

Today's "don't get married" quickly becomes tomorrow's "don't live together" and the following day's "don't work with" and "don't date".

The tyrant doesn't stay put. In the USA, when the screening process to fly was made much more invasive, the head bureaucrat said of people who didn't like it "then don't fly". So many of them stopped flying as much. Now, a similar screening process is being rolled out onto the highways, where it can't be avoided.


This Brazilian program is called "My House, My Life" and that's going to prove a very ironic name. There will be a "pot of blood", but it will contain many women who tried to take advantage and cash out the wrong men from the house that he bought.


Well put!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand


Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest