Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Living in Belize: 10 reasons savy experts pick Belize

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby zboy1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am

Good idea. I've thought about living there as a PT, without legal residency, just visit the police station to renew tourist visa every month. $50USD or so I think.

Advantage is the English language for banking and tech support.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Andrewww » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 am

Sounds good on paper but I imagine it's full of AW and old people.
Freshman Poster

Postby Jester » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 am

Andrewww wrote:Sounds good on paper but I imagine it's full of AW and old people.

You're right.

Damn good point.

Thank you.

Not a very nice thing to say, but you're right.

That was my experience when I visited the Punta Banda Peninsula near Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico. Beautiful place, but full of retired Americans trying to stay busy. Creepy.

You just gave me a new "criteria".

Sure, I like talking to older men, if they have had some life experience - retired business owners, spies, adventurers, etc - but I don't want to be around their AW wives, of any age, at all.

It makes me slightly nauseous when I read on or something about how you can get a dinner for two in Guyacquil, Ecuador for "only $xx !!" To me it means that that's all the old couple has to look forward to in life. Gaahhh!

Plus you get the emphasis on buying real estate and building a house. Like I am a hen or something, who is going to "settle down" somewhere.

There is another thread on HA about avoiding Jewish cultural influence. Never mind the Jews. I guess we should have a thread about avoiding retired American couples.

And even the interesting retired guys, with young local wives, might be a bad influence for me right now, if they are not building anything.

This is a tough one. If a guy goes to China, or Vietnam, sure all the other expats are working, noone is retired. That's good. Probably true in Jakarta as well. Also Brazil and Paraguay.

OK, rather than hijack this Belize thread any further, I am going to copy this to a new thread. ... 300#104300
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:08 am

Here are some more good reasons to retire and live in Belize. ... index.html

Belize Real Estate

Located in Central America, Belize is a third world country, but a very progressive third world country. Real estate prices in Belize are comparable to Costa Rica and more reasonable than real estate prices in other Caribbean Central American countries.

Real estate investment security is the main advantage that Belize has over any other country in Central America, Mexico or other Caribbean countries. The Belize government protects foreign investors.

Belize is an English speaking country and this is definitely an asset for foreign real estate investors. And the quality of life is by far the best in Central America and most other Caribbean countries.

Belize real estate prices, compared to other Caribbean countries, is by far the most inexpensive. Close proximity to North America is also another compelling factor in choosing Belize as a retirement or vacation real estate investment.

Most Caribbean counter parts have reached their real estate and property investment potential. Belize is the new hot spot and is now attracting the "baby boomer generation". Many savvy investors, seeing the immense potential Belize real estate offers, have decided to make their move now before prices catch up to real estate pricing in other tropical Caribbean destinations.

More About Belize

Belize is a land of unique contrasts with more to do and see than many countries 10 times it size. Belize was the British Honduras until the name was changed in 1973.

Belize is English speaking
You acquire full title to land and property in Belize
Easy access from North America - 2hrs from Houston or Miami
Belize Retirement Program for those 45 or older
Belize Residency Program
No Inheritance Tax in Belize
No Capital Gains Tax in Belize
Good standard of living in Belize
Stable government
Member of the British Commonwealth
Member of the United Nations
Fixed exchange rate - US$1 = BZ$2
Tropical climate in Belize
2nd largest barrier reef in the world
185 miles of unspoiled coastline
Virgin rainforest
Multi-cultural society in Belize
Good education system
N.A. electrical standard
Potable water in Belize
Peaceful nation
Friendly people in Belize
Breathtakingly beautiful scenery
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Site Admin

Postby IraqVet2003 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Zboy and Winston, I too agree that BELIZE to be a good place to go to when leaving America PERMANENTLY. The year-round warm weather and beaches that Belize has make for a nice environment. Not to mention Belize has some beautiful women as well!!!
Freshman Poster

Postby publicduende » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Very good thread. I'd better Belize it.
Veteran Poster

Postby OutWest » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 am

publicduende wrote:Very good thread. I'd better Belize it.

Belize does have some good things about its government policies, and very nice beaches.

>>> Time for a bit of a reality check for arm-chair retirement experts.
Have ANY of them really spent time in Belize City???
I have not been back for over 10 years, but at the time, Belize City was a very violent shithole
and we had business with a Chinese family that had been there for about 6 years. They had assets and their own lives to protect. At night, roving gangs took over the city. Murder, kidnap and rape were common place and they had to armor up to a ridiculous point to be safe.

Well since I left, I hear it has only gone downhill. The murder rate is zooming- to a level that puts
Belize in the top ten countries in the world for murder, with a rate of over 40 per year per
100,000 people- in perspective, that is about 500% the murder rate of the USA.
The Philippines has a high crime and murder rate, but the murder rate in Belize is about twice that of
the Philippines, and the Philippines is considered high.
The police will cook up criminal accusations in order to extort payment from the accused.

Most of this crap is the usual stream from International living and the Escape from America/Escape Artist publishers. As they say...buyer beware!

To compare: Portland Oregon, with over 600,000 people had 16 murders in 2013.
Belize, with a bit more than half the population of Portland, Oregon, had 99 murders
reported in 2013.

Veteran Poster

Postby Rocky Top » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:52 pm

What about John McAfee's disaster down there with the local government? That doesn't get anybody a little nervous?

Seems like the government there is more corrupt than anywhere else in Central America.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Postby In2dadark » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:32 am

Rocky Top wrote:What about John McAfee's disaster down there with the local government? That doesn't get anybody a little nervous?

Seems like the government there is more corrupt than anywhere else in Central America.

Saw much of that while watching Alex Jones (back when I thought he was legit). Mcaffe is one of them. So, how much of it is true a matter of speculation. I think it was a hoax.
Freshman Poster

Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America