Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Peru - Still a Little-Known Expat Paradise

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby navigator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 pm

rudder wrote:Mexican women actually seem somewhat abrasive to me. I like the easygoing, happy-go-lucky, bubbly, super-positive kind of female personality, and that seems to be more common in Peru.

I had the same impression of women in Mexico (in the large cities, rural areas, and tourist spots alike). They weren't nearly as warm and easy-going as I had expected them to be. Some of them had downright nasty facial expressions and attitudes. I was quite shocked. The men in Mexico seemed to be very helpful and outgoing, much more so than the women. Still, I do not want to rule out all of Latin America based on my experiences in one country. Peru sounds like it might be worth checking out. I will also be spending a good amount of time reading the Streets of Lima blog. The author tells it how it is and doesn't sugarcoat anything, which I appreciate.

As for going overseas for the women, it is certainly a primary reason. However, it is not the only reason. Being treated like a human being and not a second-class citizen is another major reason. As is the opportunity to have new experiences and live a more fulfilling life.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm

rudder wrote:
chibolo wrote:I spent 6 years in Peru with my Peruana ex (2 years in Chimbote, 4 in Trujillo). Is it a paradise? No, far from it. Don't get me wrong, I love Peru, but it is a country with a lot of problems, mainly INSANE crime levels. Apart from this, it IS a very cool place though. It has great food, places to visit, excellent nightlife and yes, beautiful women (although a lot of guys don't seem to like Peruanas).

What do you mean by "INSANE" crime levels? What makes it any worse than any other place in Latin America? I was there for two weeks travelling through various parts, and didn't witness any crime. Just don't walk around at night?

Thanks for letting me know about the streets of lima blog. I'll be spending hours on there now.

Ypu can't really know how dangerous a place is unless you spend a lot of time there. I don't know if it is any worse than other places in Latin America, but is certainly really, really bad. Here is why:

-Almost all Peruvians I know have been mugged or robbed at least once.
-I witnessed three muggings myself, one where the robbers were armed.
-My Peruvian ex was robbed at gunpoint twice. A couple of months ago she was express-kidnapped (held for an hour and the bastards beat her).
-Many of the businesses in my neigborhood were robbed at gunpoint while I lived there.

I could go on and on.

Again, Peru is a great country, and I wish I could say it was safer, but after everything I have experienced I just can't. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go there. You just need to be very careful and take precautions.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby rudder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 am

navigator wrote:
As for going overseas for the women, it is certainly a primary reason. However, it is not the only reason. Being treated like a human being and not a second-class citizen is another major reason. As is the opportunity to have new experiences and live a more fulfilling life.

This is quite an interesting dichotomy in the sense that many people in a place like Peru will treat you with a remarkable level of humanity, while others choose to view you as a walking ATM.

Anyway, I bit the bullet last night and bought a one-way ticket from LAX to lima for $330. I'm going to try life down there.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby rudder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:14 am

chibolo wrote:
Again, Peru is a great country, and I wish I could say it was safer, but after everything I have experienced I just can't. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go there. You just need to be very careful and take precautions.

So, how do you recommend avoiding crap like that? Is concealed carry legal in Peru? I can accept the horror stories as long as they are accompanied with sound advice.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 am

rudder wrote:
chibolo wrote:

So, how do you recommend avoiding crap like that? Is concealed carry legal in Peru? I can accept the horror stories as long as they are accompanied with sound advice.

Well, I didn't post these stories just to scare people. I am just sharing my experiences.

My advice would be the usual:

-Stay in safe areas. Miraflores in Lima is probably the safest neighborhood in Peru, but it is expensive. San Miguel is a cheaper area in Lima that is also relatively safe.
-Be very careful when taking taxis. Whenever possible have your hotel call a taxi or call one yourself. Taking a taxi is very risky in Peru.
-Learn Spanish (obviously)
-Take internal flights if you want to travel long distances. Buses get robbed a lot and have a lot of accidents.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby rudder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Don't they have official taxis in Lima like they do in Mexico City?

Long Distance buses are generally pretty good in Peru from what I've heard.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:23 pm

rudder wrote:Don't they have official taxis in Lima like they do in Mexico City?

Long Distance buses are generally pretty good in Peru from what I've heard.

Yes, there are reliable taxis in Lima, but it is always best to call one if you want to be safe. Robbers often steal taxis and pretend they are working for a reliable company.

There are good buses in Peru (Cruz del Sur is the most popular and reliable one). It is not that the quality isn't good, it is that the roads in Peru aren't very safe. Robbers often target these buses because they know they are full of wealthy tourists.
http://www.rpp.com.pe/2013-04-04-arequi ... 82352.html
If you want to travel by bus then companies like Cruz del Sur, Ittza, Via are all pretty good.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Young men in crisis come to Peru

Postby rudder » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 pm

rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby Halwick » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 am

For those who like Latin American women with an Asian flavor (or Asians with a Latin American flavor), Peru has a sizable Asian (mostly Japanese) community. Bolivia and Brazil, too.

Although their ancestry is asian, their temperament and social orientation is Latin American. Best of both worlds?

Here's an example of a Peruvian woman with an Asian flavor (Japanese?): http://loveme.com/women/info141434.htm
(note measurements; definitely Latin American influence)
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:50 am

Halwick wrote:For those who like Latin American women with an Asian flavor (or Asians with a Latin American flavor), Peru has a sizable Asian (mostly Japanese) community. Bolivia and Brazil, too.

Although their ancestry is asian, their temperament and social orientation is Latin American. Best of both worlds?

Here's an example of a Peruvian woman with an Asian flavor (Japanese?): http://loveme.com/women/info141434.htm

Asians aren't that common in Peru. You will see some here and there, mostly owners of Chinese restaurants (called chifas in Peru). They keep to themselves and often don't speak very good Spanish. I would say they are less than 1% of the population. The average Peruvian doesn't know anything about Asia or Asian culture.

Most Peruvians are mestizo (mixed race) or indian. There is also a very small black population, mostly concentrated in a few small cities south of Lima. The upper middle class and upper class are mostly white.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby Halwick » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am

chibolo wrote:
Halwick wrote:For those who like Latin American women with an Asian flavor (or Asians with a Latin American flavor), Peru has a sizable Asian (mostly Japanese) community. Bolivia and Brazil, too.

Asians aren't that common in Peru. You will see some here and there, mostly owners of Chinese restaurants (called chifas in Peru). They keep to themselves and often don't speak very good Spanish. I would say they are less than 1% of the population. The average Peruvian doesn't know anything about Asia or Asian culture.

Most Peruvians are mestizo (mixed race) or indian. There is also a very small black population, mostly concentrated in a few small cities south of Lima. The upper middle class and upper class are mostly white.

Actually, Asians (mostly Chinese and Japanese) makes up about 3-5% of the total Peruvian population. In fact, Peru has the second largest Japanese population of any Latin American country after Brazil. In the past decade or so, Peruvians of Asian ancestry have made significant inroads in business and politics. In order to make that kind of an impact you have to be able to speak fluent Spanish.

The average Peruvian is quite aware of the Asian population there. They even elected a man of Japanese ancestry, Alberto FUJIMORI, as President from 1990 to 2000.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 am

Halwick wrote:
chibolo wrote:

Actually, Asians (mostly Chinese and Japanese) makes up about 3-5% of the total Peruvian population. In fact, Peru has the second largest Japanese population of any Latin American country after Brazil. In the past decade or so, Peruvians of Asian ancestry have made significant inroads in business and politics.

The average Peruvian is quite aware of the Asian population there. They even elected a man of Japanese ancestry, Alberto FUJIMORI, as President from 1990 to 2000. In order to make that kind of an impact you have to be able to speak fluent Spanish.

All I can tell you is that during my 6 years in Peru the only Asians I saw were owners of Chinese restaurants. You almost never see Asians walking around. I don't know the exact percentages, but based on what I saw they are quite rare. Maybe in certain areas of Lima they are more common, I don't know. I know there is a barrio chino (China town) there.

Of course Peruvians know of "El Chino" (Fujimori), and he does speak perfect Spanish, but he is a very rare exception. I'm sure there are others like him (like his daughter Keiko), but they are a tiny minority. Also this doesn't mean that the average Peruvian knows anything about Japanese or Chinese culture.
[/i]
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby Teal Lantern » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:03 am

http://chiclayogringo.blogspot.com/
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Postby zacb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:07 am

rudder wrote:
chibolo wrote:

No, senor :( . I wish that at least long guns were not regulated. Damn commies XD.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America