Female tourist gets robbed in Salvador, Brazil

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Female tourist gets robbed in Salvador, Brazil

Post by skateboardstephen »

http://wornoutsoles.blogspot.com.br/201 ... l?spref=fb

It is a interesting story...and a good example..Brazilians got offended by the blog but i don't blame the girl one bit for writing the things she wrote.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Female tourist gets robbed in Salvador,Brazil.

Post by djfourmoney »

skateboardstephen wrote:http://wornoutsoles.blogspot.com.br/201 ... l?spref=fb

It is a interesting story...and a good example..Brazilians got offended by the blog but i don't blame the girl one bit for writing the things she wrote.
I've heard about people getting mugged and robbed all over - http://www.southamericaliving.com/the-b ... h-america/

I don't see the need to highlight such things, such a low amount of the population will ever leave the police state known as America.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

She stood out too much, ... I always try to blend in when I go somewhere & I do until I speak. Tourists need to be street smart. That's one thing you do not do, especially if you're a girl; draw attention to yourself when abroad.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I agree you need to try to not stand out too much and also try to have a reliable guide/friend (if available).
polya
Junior Poster

Re: Female tourist gets robbed in Salvador, Brazil

Post by polya »

skateboardstephen wrote:http://wornoutsoles.blogspot.com.br/201 ... l?spref=fb

Well, she doesn't NEED a man, so tough luck bitch.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Sounds like another ditsy bobblehead who didn't do her research. Crime rates in many Latin American cities are beyond that of Detroit or south Chicago. When you walk around town looking like a goofy western pack mule you will get jacked by the local banditos if the opportunity presents itself.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

I feel bad for this tourist girl. Brazil is f***ed-up! Bad guys partially run the show and regular people are way to passive and accepting. You have no recourse. Once in Rio, certain Favela bosses issued an edict to shop owners, shut-down today or else. They obeyed, even in prosperous coastal tourist filled beach areas.

If it weren't for the crime problem, I would have moved there long ago cus some of the girls are off-the-chart. Even many of the street smart locals I knew in Rio had experience of being robbed or jacked (as in car jacked). Rio implemented a law that stop lights could be treated as 4 way stop signs and slowly cruised through after 10 pm. And I think many ATMs also shut-down after 10 pm. That's how bad it is. My Brazilian American friend and his local girlfriend had their apartment robbed while they were in it. Bandits held first floor guard at gunpoint and hit the occupied apartments upstairs.

As for Salvador, I think it's even worse. I've only been there once. But it looks rough and is predominantly populated by black Brazilians (former slave port). There's even less security for tourists than in places like Rio.

Best policy for traveling around in Brazil, take things you can part with. If money is an issue for you, use your back-up (second string) gadgets (phone, laptop, camera). Back-up your photos and vids on a near daily basis to either a hard-drive separated from your gadgets (left in your room) or upload things to an offsite location such as Yahoo or some offsite storage service.

I remember I once had to take equivalent of about US$2,000 out of wire transfer place to my room temporarily which was located in an exceptionally secure building literally 10 feet away (just one storefront down). I tipped a couple of the armed guards of wire transfer place handsomely to briskly walk me those 10 feet and deliver me to guards of my building and didn't let tht cash stay in my room for anymore than a couple hours lol. That's how paranoid I felt there.