Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Legalization of marijuana takes major step forward Uruguay

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Legalization of marijuana takes major step forward Uruguay

Postby zboy1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:04 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/p ... -1.1414395

Uruguay's lower house votes to legalize marijuana
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/world/ame ... index.html

How awesome is that! Maybe Uruguay can become the next Amsterdam?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

More illegitimate babies and single moms...
More grinning idiots to deal with in bars...
More hyper-sensitive, touchy young men...
Even less economic growth...

It seems to me that a sleepy, stagnant country like Uruguay, with its young people leaving, needs to open free coffee stands, rather than legalize pot.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Repatriate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Jester wrote:Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

It seems to me that a sleepy, stagnant country like Uruguay, with its young people leaving, needs to open free coffee stands, rather than legalize pot.

You would have to do a lot to prove that these would be the effects of pot legalization. The drug war is basically all connected to the military industrial complex and corporate prison system. It has nothing to do with actually being more harmful than the existing legal drugs like alcohol or nicotine.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Repatriate wrote:
Jester wrote:Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

You would have to do a lot to prove that these would be the effects of pot legalization. The drug war is basically all connected to the military industrial complex and corporate prison system. It has nothing to do with actually being more harmful than the existing legal drugs like alcohol or nicotine.

I don't disagree. I am aware that DEA routinely allows CIA-connected drug shipments through from Latin America, while unprotected shipments have to take their chances. The ongoing "war" is good business for many.

Still, do you think marijuana use by young men should be encouraged? There is a big difference between arms-length tolerance, and advocacy.

It's not very harmful in the short term. But I tell everyone that marijuana is one of the most addictive drugs. Not one of the most harmful, but one of the most addictive. How do I know this? Simple. It's the only drug that has passionate advocates. "Hemp will solve all problems and bring world peace", etc. Men are pussy-whipped by this subtle weed.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America