Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Legalization of marijuana takes major step forward Uruguay

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Legalization of marijuana takes major step forward Uruguay

Post by zboy1 » August 2nd, 2013, 12:04 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/p ... -1.1414395

Uruguay's lower house votes to legalize marijuana
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/world/ame ... index.html

How awesome is that! Maybe Uruguay can become the next Amsterdam?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester » August 2nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

More illegitimate babies and single moms...
More grinning idiots to deal with in bars...
More hyper-sensitive, touchy young men...
Even less economic growth...

It seems to me that a sleepy, stagnant country like Uruguay, with its young people leaving, needs to open free coffee stands, rather than legalize pot.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate » August 2nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

Jester wrote:Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

It seems to me that a sleepy, stagnant country like Uruguay, with its young people leaving, needs to open free coffee stands, rather than legalize pot.
You would have to do a lot to prove that these would be the effects of pot legalization. The drug war is basically all connected to the military industrial complex and corporate prison system. It has nothing to do with actually being more harmful than the existing legal drugs like alcohol or nicotine.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester » August 2nd, 2013, 9:03 pm

Repatriate wrote:
Jester wrote:Objectively speaking, for the non-potsmoker, I wonder what the effects would be...

You would have to do a lot to prove that these would be the effects of pot legalization. The drug war is basically all connected to the military industrial complex and corporate prison system. It has nothing to do with actually being more harmful than the existing legal drugs like alcohol or nicotine.
I don't disagree. I am aware that DEA routinely allows CIA-connected drug shipments through from Latin America, while unprotected shipments have to take their chances. The ongoing "war" is good business for many.

Still, do you think marijuana use by young men should be encouraged? There is a big difference between arms-length tolerance, and advocacy.

It's not very harmful in the short term. But I tell everyone that marijuana is one of the most addictive drugs. Not one of the most harmful, but one of the most addictive. How do I know this? Simple. It's the only drug that has passionate advocates. "Hemp will solve all problems and bring world peace", etc. Men are p***y-whipped by this subtle weed.