We Love Medellin

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

We Love Medellin

Post by MrPeabody »

An American living in Medellin has a facebook page and a youtube channel called "We love Medellin".

His videos show Medellin and provides some useful information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mspt-BLhoSE
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

That's a pretty low bar he's set for himself -- helping people rent places for less than $1,500 a month. Just based on what I've seen on Airbnb available for a variety of European cities, I wouldn't even think about getting a place in Medellin -- in a decent neighborhood -- for more than $500.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Look guys I'm not big on people "with their hand out". I have no issues networking with gringos, just not one's interested in my buck.

We all have the ability to research a community. Get a weekly rate someplace and then figure out what area you like best and move there. If this guy wants to be a real estate agent he should get connected and do that and market himself as that.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

I have friends in Medellin, you can get a place in a nice safe middle class neighborhood for about $300.00/mo
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

$300/mo is just about right for a country like Colombia. Do you need to sign 6 month/1 year contract ?

What about Cali and other smaller places? Medellin is like Phuket, too many westerners
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

Banano wrote:$300/mo is just about right for a country like Colombia. Do you need to sign 6 month/1 year contract ?

What about Cali and other smaller places? Medellin is like Phuket, too many westerners
I will contact my local friends in MDE. Yes, smaller towns and cities have cheaper rents. I have a friend in Pereria, he pays about $300/mo for a large apartment.

For now, I will post this.
http://medellinliving.com/room-rent-laureles-apartment/
Seduction Sebi
Freshman Poster

Post by Seduction Sebi »

Wow that sounds really decent, even if I got a place in Bangkok for under 200 dollars a month but I guess Colombia is a lot more expensive than Thailand... god knows why.
jmbPtforlife
Freshman Poster

Post by jmbPtforlife »

Furnished with a roomate in El Poblado 400 to 600 a month - month to month.
Furnished with a roomate in El Pobaldo is gonna be the same but can be a lot higher if you get something really fancy. This facebook group is a great place to start - Medellin Rooms, Apartments and Expat

If you want to do a year contract for an unfurnsihed apartment you can pretty much cut down costs by half from furnished month to month living in el Poblado but are almost always going to need a colombian co-signer who owns property. Its a huge pain in the ass but can be done.