Dominican Republic - A Good Place to Raise a Family?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Re: DR a Good Place to Raise Family?

Post by chibolo »

Jester wrote:
chibolo wrote:
Unfortunately this is pretty much the same in most of Latin America, except maybe Chile, Costa Rica and Uruguay. I lived in Peru and it is similar to what you describe as well. I love Latin America, but crime is a big problem there.
FWIW, there are no home invasions or kidnappings here in Baja California, at least south of Tijuana.

Are you sure about that? I hear Mexico is pretty bad right now, at least in some cities. Some of the most violent cities in Latin America are located in Mexico (Acapulco is number 2 on the list of the most violent cities in LA).

Here is a link (in Spanish)

http://www.rpp.com.pe/2013-11-29-las-di ... .html#foto

As I said before, I lived in Peru for 6 years and robberies (often armed) are extremely common there. My Peruvian ex-girlfriend was express-kidnapped in a taxi there once and robbed at gunpoint twice. From what I hear other countries in South America are similar (Ecuador, Colombia). Venezuela is even worse of course. Chile and Uruguay are supposed to be a lot safer, maybe Argentina as well.

I love Latin Amerca and its culture, music, food, women, etc. but crime in many of the countries there is a huge problem. And of course this doesn't mean that you can't visit or even live in any of these countries. It just means that you have to be careful there and take precautions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

It is like the Philippines, except the locals are even more determined to milk you for every penny, from the hotel staff to random guys on the street. In particular, women on dating websites are especially shameless, much worse than Filipinas.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

chibolo wrote:
Jester wrote:
chibolo wrote:
Unfortunately this is pretty much the same in most of Latin America, except maybe Chile, Costa Rica and Uruguay. I lived in Peru and it is similar to what you describe as well. I love Latin America, but crime is a big problem there.
FWIW, there are no home invasions or kidnappings here in Baja California, at least south of Tijuana.

Are you sure about that? I hear Mexico is pretty bad right now, at least in some cities. Some of the most violent cities in Latin America are located in Mexico (Acapulco is number 2 on the list of the most violent cities in LA).

Here is a link (in Spanish)

http://www.rpp.com.pe/2013-11-29-las-di ... .html#foto

As I said before, I lived in Peru for 6 years and robberies (often armed) are extremely common there. My Peruvian ex-girlfriend was express-kidnapped in a taxi there once and robbed at gunpoint twice. From what I hear other countries in South America are similar (Ecuador, Colombia). Venezuela is even worse of course. Chile and Uruguay are supposed to be a lot safer, maybe Argentina as well.

I love Latin Amerca and its culture, music, food, women, etc. but crime in many of the countries there is a huge problem. And of course this doesn't mean that you can't visit or even live in any of these countries. It just means that you have to be careful there and take precautions.
I know a couple of guys who left Mexico City behind because of armed robberies. One was a copy shop owner who was tied up during a robbery, he retired and came to the states. The other was a doctor, who was robbed at pistol point twice on the streets while leaving a hospital shift. He opened a practice here in Ensenada, and enjoys the tranguility.

Thanks for the reminder about cities in Mexico and LA.

It's easy as a single male tourist to forget how nervous local business owners are.

I am working on listing a shopping arcade in Zacatecas. The current owner doesn't want anyone to know he is the owner. He tells tenants he is the caretaker.

The Gulf Cartel has cleaned out the Zetas who were a scary bunch in that region, but he is still nervous.

There are no narcos (south of Tijuana) in Baja, so there are no drug-addicted ex-narcos to do the Acapulco style home invasions etc.

To put it in perspective, Ensenada is a little safer than Los Angeles, a little more dangerous than Glendale California. My opinion plus two others (who have each lived back and forth to both places for decades).
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:It is like the Philippines, except the locals are even more determined to milk you for every penny, from the hotel staff to random guys on the street. In particular, women on dating websites are especially shameless, much worse than Filipinas.
That does get tiresome up in Tijuana. I expect Cebu to be about like Tijuana.

That DR is worse than that (more beggars and touts than Tijuana) is inconceivable to me.

:shock:

Thanks for the comparison.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:
OutWest wrote:......the Philippines murder rate is skewed because it includes those killed in hot zones
involving the MILF or NPA.
The WHO?

:lol:

MILF= Moro Islamic Liberation Front and NPA is New People's Army- a communist revolution type group.

Bride raid? We have NOT given up our home in Mindanao and will be returning before too long.
I am eager to get back as I am homesick, though I am attending to family issues here.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Hero wrote:It is like the Philippines, except the locals are even more determined to milk you for every penny, from the hotel staff to random guys on the street. In particular, women on dating websites are especially shameless, much worse than Filipinas.
you done the ukraine thing. How doe ukraine compare to filipinas and DR? LOL