-----

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Cross Peru off the HA list...

Post by Yohan »

Men in future will merely ignore the presence of women.
However such laws are very open to misuse by malicious female liars and I am worried about false allegations.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Yeah this is true, however I don't think this law will have much of an effect in Peru. It is still a very machista country and catcalling women is part of the culture there. They aren't going to arrest the majority of the male population :D Also, nobody will enforce this. The police in Peru won't care, they don't even bother to catch most criminals (or they let them go if they pay a bribe).

That said, I can somewhat understand why they created this law (although sending someone to jail for catcalling is obviously insane). Some Peruvian guys can be very aggressive towards women (even underage ones) and rapes aren't uncommon either. Peru isn't the safest place to be a woman.

(I lived in Peru for 6 years)
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Ghost wrote: I thought about this, and with such laws on the books, this is probably the only element that would keep it from having any effect. The "third world effect" is powerful, and if the government is not rich/powerful/organized enough to enforce laws, then feminism doesn't have much of a chance. And outside of Lima, Arequipa, or other bigger cities, I doubt such a law would ever be used at all.
Yeah, I don't think it will have much of an effect, even in the bigger cities. Like I said they would have to arrest A LOT of people because guys catcalling women is SO common there. The police in Peru have better things to do and like I said they usually aren't very good at their job. When you call them they often don't even show up. And in the remote areas in the highlands or jungle people will probably not even be aware that this law exists.

Here is an article that talks about how difficult it will be to apply this law because the idea of sexual harassment is so subjective (in Spanish)

http://elcomercio.pe/lima/sucesos/acoso ... ia-1795712
“Será complicado sancionar a los acosadores. ¿Cómo se va a establecer que detrás de una mirada o un silbido existe una intención sexual?”
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

In an effort to "modernize", SouthAmerica mindlessly copy-cats a lot of American/Euro stuff, and more often than not it's the bad stuff.
Like importing femi-liberalism and "women-protecting" laws at the same time as new-york-rican stuff like reggeaton, 50-shades etc.

My local friend, who's showing me the ropes here, is a lawyer and he's telling me there's a lot of bullshit already regarding false-rape charges or whatnot, and that that's why he stays away from girls younger than 25. He even mentioned -although it's just anecdotal- a guy that got 4 years in the slammer for touching some chick's ass.

I'm not saying it's terrible, but there's some bad trends.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Signet
Freshman Poster

Post by Signet »

Yohan wrote:Men in future will merely ignore the presence of women.
Meanwhile, they will continue to write articles demanding to know where all the 'real' men are, and mourning the fact that nobody courts them anymore.
dreamofarakis
Freshman Poster

Post by dreamofarakis »

Harassment being a crime is very common in latin america. In the US we have right to free speech etc that's what keeps interacting with women legal as long as youre not being rude. In latin america you have no right the cops will take you in because they feel like it and its totally legal.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

what is considered harassment?
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com

Return to “Latin America, Mexico, Central America”