Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Why teaching English is probably the only option for most

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Why teaching English is probably the only option for mos

Postby sentinel89 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:38 am

Hero wrote:
sentinel89 wrote:
Hero wrote:
sentinel89 wrote:Hero, I'd strongly recommend getting a CELTA instead of a generic TEFL course. While in 90% of jobs it won't matter, there are some jobs that will strongly prefer CELTA over TEFL, but there are no jobs that prefer TEFL over CELTA.

I think that you need a letter of recommendation to get into CELTA, and I don't know who could write me one.

I wasn't aware of that. But if that is the case, dude, just get anyone to write it. Who cares? They probably don't even look at it.

OK, Sentinel. You can write me a letter :P

But seriously, when I was applying to graduate schools, letters of recommendation were the MOST important factor in deciding admission.

Applying for a CELTA program is very different from applying to a graduate school.. But uhh, what in the heck kind of graduate schools are you applying to? Based on my research of MBA programs, the ONLY thing that schools care about is GMAT score and GPA. Those are the only factors that are used to compare them with other schools. The letters of recommendation are just a check-in-box requirement.
sentinel89
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:18 am

sentinel89 wrote:Applying for a CELTA program is very different from applying to a graduate school.. But uhh, what in the heck kind of graduate schools are you applying to? Based on my research of MBA programs, the ONLY thing that schools care about is GMAT score and GPA. Those are the only factors that are used to compare them with other schools. The letters of recommendation are just a check-in-box requirement.

I applied to graduate schools in math, engineering and statistics. But maybe CELTA is different.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby Cornfed » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:40 am

Hero wrote:
sentinel89 wrote:Applying for a CELTA program is very different from applying to a graduate school.. But uhh, what in the heck kind of graduate schools are you applying to? Based on my research of MBA programs, the ONLY thing that schools care about is GMAT score and GPA. Those are the only factors that are used to compare them with other schools. The letters of recommendation are just a check-in-box requirement.

I applied to graduate schools in math, engineering and statistics. But maybe CELTA is different.

I only had to do a pre-course assignment. I imagine it is the same everywhere.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby nomadphilippines » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:05 am

work online
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to Latin America, Mexico, Central America