Everyday social culture in Guanajuato, Mexico

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Everyday social culture in Guanajuato, Mexico

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Falcon already discussed the daily social life in Mexico on here, but I wanted to add some things that I notice every day in Guanajuato City, where I currently live. Everything I see here confirms what Winston mentioned about life being much more free flowing abroad whereas it's compartmentalized in the U.S.

CALLEJONEADA

Every night there are Callejoneadas in Guanajuato. This event lasts about an hour and a half approximately, and consists of musicians dressed in 17th century style costumes performing songs about local legends. It starts just outside of Iglesia de San Diego and ends at Callejon del Beso. The event is called such because it goes through some of the callejones in Guanajuato. People attending this event retrieve a small vase to drink juice during one of the songs, either early or midway through the event. Then, the men and women separate but reunite in another callejón. The men often buy flowers and then give them to their women when a romantic instrumental song plays. Afterwards, a skit is sometimes performed right near the callejón del beso. And sometimes the event ends in Plaza Los Angeles after a few other songs (e.g. traditional Mexican ones).

MUSICIANS

And there are even musicians that play outside of restaurants, mostly in Jardín Union and Plaza de la Paz. Solo musicians perform from morning to early afternoon. And then mariachi bands and a few norteño bands play outside of restaurants for the people to enjoy. Sometimes the university concert band performs in the band stand in Jardín Union.

The photo with the mariachis, I'm friends with them by the way. And often one of them lets me play his vihuela (small 5-string guitar) with a bow like a violin :D