Is Knowing Spanish Good Enough For Brazil

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Do I Need To Know Portuguese if I Already Know Spanish In Brazil?

No, people will understand you if you at least know Spanish
8%
Yes, your results will be much better if you also know Portuguese
92%

Total votes: 12
JamesSa
Freshman Poster

Is Knowing Spanish Good Enough For Brazil

Post by JamesSa »

After deciding on several countries to visit first (Dominican Republic, Philippines, Columbia, and Brazil), I've decided to stick to my original plan of first going to Brazil based on their women (my ideal woman is one with a combination of African and European features, which Brazil has), their beaches, and their cultural values. Also, people in Brazil appear to be friendly and like to dance and have fun, while also enjoying relaxation.

My question, is, will my conversational Spanish skills be enough to get me around Brazil for a 30 day visit? Or should I stop being lazy and learn Portuguese ASAP as well?
59 Days Left Before Leaving America For Brazil!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is Knowing Spanish Good Enough For Brazil

Post by ladislav »

If you are going to visit for only 30 days, I would just get a Portuguese phrase book and study up a bit. Many Americans go to places as tourists and enjoy there knowing only English ( and throwing money around) . If you plan on living in Brazil long term or want to get to know the locals very well, then you should learn the language. Like Americans, Brazilians are mostly children of immigrants and their language unites them. Spanish would be understood if spoken slowly, but you know what I mean. There is a language in the country, get a phrase book and just have a good time. Next time when you go there for a longer time, get a more serious course in Portuguese.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
icarus
Freshman Poster

Portuguese

Post by icarus »

If you want to offend a Brazilian, a good way is to assume they all speak Spanish. The next best way is to assume that speaking Spanish instead of Portuguese will be good enough in Brazil. Although they might possibly be able to understand you if you speak clearly enough, and you can probably read enough Portuguese by virtue of your Spanish, the sounds of Brazilian Portuguese will take some getting used to as it's a much softer and more nasal spoken tongue.
JamesSa
Freshman Poster

Post by JamesSa »

Thanks guys for the info. I ordered some software to learn basic Portuguese. Depending on how well my visit goes, I might learn to speak it fluently and stay there for a longer duration.
59 Days Left Before Leaving America For Brazil!
DonFrancisco
Freshman Poster

Re: Is Knowing Spanish Good Enough For Brazil

Post by DonFrancisco »

JamesSa wrote:After deciding on several countries to visit first (Dominican Republic, Philippines, Columbia, and Brazil), I've decided to stick to my original plan of first going to Brazil based on their women (my ideal woman is one with a combination of African and European features, which Brazil has), their beaches, and their cultural values. Also, people in Brazil appear to be friendly and like to dance and have fun, while also enjoying relaxation.

My question, is, will my conversational Spanish skills be enough to get me around Brazil for a 30 day visit? Or should I stop being lazy and learn Portuguese ASAP as well?

You do need portuguese. But the best way to learn the launguage is to go to Brazil!

I learned portuguese using B&B method. Beer & Bed.
Just mongering around, I found a hot chick who stayed with me a month and in the month I learned portuguese from nothing to solid internediary.

F.
Jeygonza
Freshman Poster

Talking about your trip to Brazil

Post by Jeygonza »

Well let me tell you something, I worked in a hotel in Dominican Republic, The hotel comes from Spain and the biggest users are from Europe including Portugal, I don't speak Portuguese, and although Spanish is similar but the conversation was not very productive. So my advice is you have to learn Portuguese!
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner