Rio De Janeiro

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Rio De Janeiro

Post by Enishi »

I have decided that this winter I will (finally!) be taking a bachelor vacation to Rio De Janeiro. I had thought about visiting Russia or Ukraine, but decided I prefer the idea of Rio better. Hopefully I'll be able to get some fun in before the dollar collapses. I'll be posting updates on my preparations and experiences here in case anyone wants to learn from them.
icarus
Freshman Poster

Re: Rio De Janeiro

Post by icarus »

Enishi wrote:I have decided that this winter I will (finally!) be taking a bachelor vacation to Rio De Janeiro. I had thought about visiting Russia or Ukraine, but decided I prefer the idea of Rio better. Hopefully I'll be able to get some fun in before the dollar collapses. I'll be posting updates on my preparations and experiences here in case anyone wants to learn from them.
Stay safe in Rio man. I was in Sao Paulo last winter, will probably return to Brasil sometime in Feb., keep us posted.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- Albert Einstein
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I've been reading Rooshv, along with other stuff on Brazil. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about a 10-14 day stay automatically resulting in wondrous sexual bliss (hookers are an option I guess, but it's just not as emotionally and psychologically satisfying as being with a girl who wants to be with you for you). My main goal is to have fun and hopefully feel more relaxed and connected to others than I do in shithole Michigan.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I have a girlfriend now, so it looks like this trip will be put on indefinite hiatus for the moment. If I do go at some point, it will mostly likely be for business related purposes. (I am kinda glad, I had been turning over the idea for awhile in my head and was beginning to wonder if spending thousands of dollars on a vacation JUST to get laid was really even worth it...)
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Enishi wrote:I have a girlfriend now, so it looks like this trip will be put on indefinite hiatus for the moment. If I do go at some point, it will mostly likely be for business related purposes. (I am kinda glad, I had been turning over the idea for awhile in my head and was beginning to wonder if spending thousands of dollars on a vacation JUST to get laid was really even worth it...)
So having a brand new GF means you cant go to Brazil and get some more action?
centralamericavoyage
Freshman Poster

Post by centralamericavoyage »

Parabens (congrats en portugues),

Wow, Rio! Spent many a business trip and a coupe of vacations there. Many things to do and see. What month do you expect to be there? During Carnival or New Year's?

Anyway, Rio has plenty... Pau de Acucar (Sugar Loaf), Corcovado (bestowing Jesus), Sambodromo, the Copacabana, and various other beaches, etc. These are the magnets for tourists.

Personally, I prefer the culinary delights of Brasil... feijoada (typical portuguese/brazilian/african fare) a bean and pork stew topped with orange rind and farofa (ground mandioc root). Most brazilian restaurants serve their best feijoada on Fridays. Mau-Mau batida is the preferred after dinner drink/dessert.

A rodizio is a must. If you haven't experienced the brazilian dining ambience, this is the ultimate. Servers with skewers of select cuts of beef, pork and chicken constantly circulate through the restaurant seeking to replenish any parton's empty dish. Typically perpared in an open-harth wood-burning oven, the fleshy delectables are lighty salted and flame broiled to perfection. Fogo do Chao comes to mind (in fact a couple of US-cities have these fine eateries).

Too bad if you're a vegaterian, since most brazilian cusine hinges on boi, porco or frutas de mar. All exquisite.

Rio has a vibrant nightlife, but be selective. Avenida Atlantica (the Copa) is enticing, but it's loaded with tourists and petty thieves lurk in the shadows while streetwalkers line the strip. (I was personally assualted at knife-point by two pint-sized teens and held them off with my belt until I got to a well lit area.) Nonetheless, it sports fine dining and good nightclubs.

Given a chance to return to any city in Brazil I'd select Salvador hands down! The city isn't nearly as congested, polluted or fast-paced as Rio. Rio has the topographical splendor, but Salvador is the coracao e alma (heart and soul) of Brasil.

Like the Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the people are the essence. Provincial rivalries exist between paulistas-cariocas-baianos (Sao Paulo - Rio - Salvador); unsurprisingly playing on stereotypes. The plain reality remains, Baianos work to live and play. Compared to Salvador, paulistas and cariocas live to work and then play (and boy can they).

Diverte-se (enjoy yourself) e cuide-se (be careful, do your best not appear vulnerable or touristie).

All the best,

Woody
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

So having a brand new GF means you cant go to Brazil and get some more action?
Woops didn't see this reply until now, one year later!

I ended up breaking it off with the aforementioned girlfriend and seeing someone in Russia instead. :)