Living (working) in South America

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
prawn_86
Freshman Poster

Living (working) in South America

Post by prawn_86 »

So i have read through a few threads here and it seems as though Bogota looks a good place to live. We are looking at travelling through South America and possibly just renting an aprtment for a couple months in one city

Does anyone else have any reco's as to other SA cities that will be good for a couple of Gringos to live? Our budget would be around 1k per month for a 2 bed apartment.

Also, what is your experience in picking up work as a gringo? We will have enough money to not work, but obviously will want to do a bit if possible just to meet other expats (and local girls). Aside from teaching English is there much around? Bar work at expat bars?

Any info greatly appreciated
Australian Travel Forum - www.AussieTravellersForum.com.au

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

I was in Bogota in May 2010. My friend and I rented an apartment for US$100 a night in the northen part of the city (Calle 104) He went there to move there and met his girlfriend. I used RomaceLatina and LatinAmericanCupid to meet local women. I had many nice dates. Two women I met ended up spending the night with me. I met some pretty women at local stores but I was a little shy to talk to them. But they are very friendly and like meeting Angelos.
I am not sure what jobs there are for foreigners besides teaching English. There is s small but growing expat community. But I here that Medlillin is more popular for expats.
I will contact one of my girlfriends (she is a realtor in Bogota) and good place for rent. I will post it later. Free feel to ask more questions
Mark
prawn_86
Freshman Poster

Post by prawn_86 »

Thanks Mark.

We are in the very early stages of looking into it, so no massive need for rental places yet, but i will def ask closer to when we go.

Originally we were just planning on travelling through SA, but thought if we can afford to live in one place for a month or 2 to immerse ourselves in the culture then why not :)
Australian Travel Forum - www.AussieTravellersForum.com.au