Why location determines your success and happiness

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Winston
Site Admin

Why location determines your success and happiness

Post by Winston »

Check out this video by TheLogicJunkie where he explains why location is the key to your success and happiness in life. He also compares east coast vs. west coast Americans, and also people in the Pacific Northwest, which he describes as "cloak and dagger, private brooding types", which is so true. lol

Video description:

"I've just started reading a new book called "Who's Your City" by Richard Florida. It's all about the idea that where you live is the key to success and happiness, and that you have to find the place where you belong.

Where in the world would I fit in? Where should I live? I'm taking suggestions."

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

He talks about location being important, but never mentions any location outside the US. He has the awareness of a typical American.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

That's what i was wondering too, why is he only limiting him to the US.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

MarkDY wrote:World's happiest countries.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/14/world- ... table.html
Scandinavia, Switzerland and Australia/NZ are always on these sorts of list and way ahead of the US. One web site said that for Service and Convenience the US is king. If you want something in the middle of the night, New York is the city that never sleeps. You can get steak and eggs at 3am in Las Vegas. From that point of view the US is great for that. Also Europeans still don't get "Customer Service" yet so its always lacking. But for strictly measurements of happiness, its hard to beat those countries listed.

Scandinavia has high rates of suicide however (so does Iceland) but I think that has more to do with the extended darkness there.

Again this is a perfect place to say that you do pay higher taxes in these countries but you get more for your tax dollars. So the majority of the citizens don't moan and complain about taxes like Americans do but still want their social services intact.
AsiaBill
Freshman Poster

Post by AsiaBill »

A long time ago in my 20s I figured out that there are only 3 reasons one lives anywhere; 1 ) friends and family, 2 ) geography /climate & 3 ) career / financial livelihood and that it's nearly impossible to have all three so 2 ot of 3 is the best one can do. I chose the latter two as new friends can be found and family can be visited.
Life is Short! Traveling and the people you meet and experiences you have "on the road" will enhance your life forever so GO FOR IT! Feel FREE to ask me Questions about living and traveling in Asia & the Philippines.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why location determines your success and happiness

Post by Winston »

Article that explains why location is the biggest factor in happiness.

http://www.mavericktraveler.com/new-env ... ifference/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote:Article that explains why location is the biggest factor in happiness.

http://www.mavericktraveler.com/new-env ... ifference/
Here is an interesting quote from the article.

"I didn’t know that by moving to Rio, to Medellin, to Vilnius or to Kiev that I would finally understand that it wasn’t me who was off; it was the environment that was never compatible with me and my values. Environment affects everything. Changing the environment changed everything."

Just as in real estate, location means everything. :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

JAMESBOND

You are one of the most prominent posters and huge supporter of HA but have you actually traveled anywhere outside US?

How old are you and what countries have you visited so far ?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Yes Banano, I have been to Canada and Mexico. I have also traveled to 34 states in the US. Currently I am working three jobs and I am saving money to go to Europe as soon as I can afford to go.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."