Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

Postby YourTrustedAdvisor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Winston wrote:My weight is the same. It refuses to change. If I go back to China I will lose some though. China is happier, Taiwan is miserable and repressed.

Winston, my main man :D

"Shoot for the moon. Because even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

~ YourTrustedAdvisor
YourTrustedAdvisor
Freshman Poster

Postby Kradmelder » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Winston wrote:
YourTrustedAdvisor wrote:
Winston wrote:This one is about the great and famous Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky, who wrote epics such as "War and Peace".

Winston! How's the weight loss program going?

Dostoyevsky never wrote "War and Peace"!

It was Tolstoy!

Take care, buddy! :D

~ YourTrustedAdvisor

Thanks. I fixed that. My weight is the same. It refuses to change. If I go back to China I will lose some though. China is happier, Taiwan is miserable and repressed.

Whose "trusted advisor" are you? And who are you anyway? You act like you know me and care about me. And you've appointed yourself someone's advisor too it seems. lol

Of course Taiwan would be repressed. They have 1.4 billion Chinamen trying to eradicate their existence as a nation and make them into just more Chinamen. Actually they don't even acknowledge their existence. Taiwan must feel like a big fat chick is sitting on your face and you are trying to breath. Like any nation acknowledges Taiwan and China will not acknowledge you.
Kradmelder
Junior Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:37 am

El_Caudillo wrote:Winston, the guy who makes these videos is Alan de Botton - a famous Swiss-English lecturer, author and TV presenter. I have been watching him for some time - this is one of my favourite vids of his

Have you seen his videos on relationships? They are very pessimistic and grim and narrow. He repeats the same thing over and over again. He assumes that all couples argue everyday and are unhappy and dissatisfied. Just because he's never had a peaceful relationship doesn't mean no one else has. There are couples that live together peacefully and happily without arguing everyday.

He also seems to have never left the West. He assumes all couples all over the world are the same. And that men and women are at equal fault for everything. He's obviously never been to the Philippines, where girls are simple and easygoing and do not argue about little things. I hate narrow guys who think western couples represent the whole world or that his experiences speak for everybody. That's very narrow and arrogant and untrue as well. He can only speak for himself, not for others.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby The_Adventurer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:09 am

Winston wrote:Have you seen his videos on relationships? They are very pessimistic and grim and narrow. He repeats the same thing over and over again. He assumes that all couples argue everyday and are unhappy and dissatisfied. Just because he's never had a peaceful relationship doesn't mean no one else has. There are couples that live together peacefully and happily without arguing everyday.

I've never seen these peaceful couples, perhaps, except in the Philippines. Nowhere else have I ever seen them. Being non confrontational is a huge part of their culture. Here in China there's no such thing. Not only do they argue all the time, but they are frakking loud!! I won't even get into the slapping each other around in the streets.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby El_Caudillo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 am

Have you seen his videos on relationships? They are very pessimistic and grim and narrow. He repeats the same thing over and over again. He assumes that all couples argue everyday and are unhappy and dissatisfied. Just because he's never had a peaceful relationship doesn't mean no one else has. There are couples that live together peacefully and happily without arguing everyday.

He also seems to have never left the West. He assumes all couples all over the world are the same. And that men and women are at equal fault for everything. He's obviously never been to the Philippines, where girls are simple and easygoing and do not argue about little things. I hate narrow guys who think western couples represent the whole world or that his experiences speak for everybody. That's very narrow and arrogant and untrue as well. He can only speak for himself, not for others.

In De Botton's case I'm not very interested in his original work, but I do think he is good at presenting the basic ideas of Western philosophers. Sure we can criticize him for being limited to the West in his viewpoints...although I'm sure he dabbles in some Eastern philosophy. I'm not sure that's a reason to hate him. No one man can give us all the wisdom we need of course. I have experience from many places in South America, Oceania and Asia for example. Perhaps I would make some breakthroughs in my knowledge, experience in the Philippines and Japan. But to be honest I think it could destroy me....I'm not suggesting I have much wisdom anyway.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Postby Jonny Law » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:09 am

The_Adventurer wrote:
Winston wrote:Have you seen his videos on relationships? They are very pessimistic and grim and narrow. He repeats the same thing over and over again. He assumes that all couples argue everyday and are unhappy and dissatisfied. Just because he's never had a peaceful relationship doesn't mean no one else has. There are couples that live together peacefully and happily without arguing everyday.

I've never seen these peaceful couples, perhaps, except in the Philippines. Nowhere else have I ever seen them. Being non confrontational is a huge part of their culture. Here in China there's no such thing. Not only do they argue all the time, but they are frakking loud!! I won't even get into the slapping each other around in the streets.

I AGREE!!!

Philippines is the one place I recommend for relationships.

Thailand women are only good for pump-and-dumps. I have been in Thailand for about 5 months. I cannot tell the difference a Thai prostitute and a regular Thai girl. They are still much better than American women. Just watch you money with a Thai woman.
Jonny Law
Junior Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 pm

For me it was resources- transportation, tickets for it, funds for that, passport (possibly VISA or citizenship & all the paperwork for that- even finding what is needed for that). That seems to be largely cleared away & now I'm just tying up some loose ends.

Going to try to get in better shape, learn some language of some form (I'll likely take some stuff with me & might even get into a language school), and get going. I have a little bit of an issue finding the "first steps." I had a problem with finding where to look for anything- nowhere to ask about the subject. I had some money issues that seem to be clearing up. Might leave this November.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Why Go Abroad? Tell Your Story and Reasons