Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

An American burns his passport, renounces citizenship.

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby polya » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 pm

I think legally, he is still an American citizen, now without a passport. To legally renounce US citizenship you have to pay over $400 at an Embassy. Maybe if you adopt another countries' citizenship you can automatically lose your US citizenship!
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
polya
Junior Poster

Postby Teal Lantern » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

polya wrote:I think legally, he is still an American citizen, now without a passport. To legally renounce US citizenship you have to pay over $400 at an Embassy. Maybe if you adopt another countries' citizenship you can automatically lose your US citizenship!

I was wondering when someone was going to point out that destroying a passport doesn't end citizenship. In most cases, you have to get a passport from the new country, and turn in (by appointment and fee) the American passport at an American embassy there.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Postby Rock » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Teal Lantern wrote:
polya wrote:I think legally, he is still an American citizen, now without a passport. To legally renounce US citizenship you have to pay over $400 at an Embassy. Maybe if you adopt another countries' citizenship you can automatically lose your US citizenship!

I was wondering when someone was going to point out that destroying a passport doesn't end citizenship. In most cases, you have to get a passport from the new country, and turn in (by appointment and fee) the American passport at an American embassy there.

You don't have to get a new passport, just be present overseas. You make an appointment with a US embassy or de-facto embassy overseas, fill in the paperwork, make your statement in front of an officer, then wait some weeks for your Certificate of Renunciation to arrive which makes it official. If you don't have any other citizenship, you become stateless. Also, renouncing does not eliminate previous US tax liabilities and if you meet certain asset and/or income thresholds, you will also be required to pay a (likely hefty) exit tax.

Here's a great source of related info on this topic:

http://renunciationguide.com/
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Teal Lantern » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks, Rock.
Looks like they keep changing the rules, to make it hard to follow them.

Check out this gem of an idea. :shock:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ ... e-the-irs/
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Why Go Abroad? Tell Your Story and Reasons