Why USA is the best place in the world

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
woodwater
Freshman Poster

Why USA is the best place in the world

Post by woodwater »

It is not :twisted:
onezero4u
Freshman Poster

Post by onezero4u »

ditto....im american but have lived in or traveled to about 30-35 other countries and america is definately NOT the best....not even close unfortunately.

in fact ive enjoyed 3rd world countries much better than US....thats fuckin sad.
marriage is a 3 ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring and then suffering.
MUSTARDxTIGER
Freshman Poster

Post by MUSTARDxTIGER »

We were the best up until the 1950's or so. Now we cant even make a good toaster.lol
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

It's only the best country for bitchy AW. For men it's terrible - e.g. look at the economy or the misandric laws like 2 years in jail for getting behind on mommy/child support.
Last edited by polya on September 10th, 2012, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

I don't think it EVER was the best! For men, at least. Some people might respond ,"Well what about the 50's?" We need to remember that life in the 1950's movies was simply an idealized version of the real world. I really get annoyed when people talk about the 50's like it was some kind of golden age super-era for America. It wasn't. There was still racism, closed mindedness, a lack of technological devices which we all take for granted today. The medical care was not as good, people didn't live as long. I could go on.

To put it another way. Many of us here are social outcasts, whether we want to admit it or not. At least today we can all come to a forum like HA and be able to congregate with others who think like us. Imagine being a social outcast in the 50's. Without the internet's global reach, where would you be able to turn to find camaraderie in a society that hated you? Where would you go for companionship without all the foreign dating sites? In many ways, today really IS better than yesterday, we are simply clouded by our biases because we are not living through the hardships that existed back then. I think it's time we stop idealizing the past on here.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 23rd, 2013, 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

eurobrat wrote:Actually in the late 1900's things were great for men. There was no corporate machine so there was plenty of business opportunities, prostitution was legal (especially in the old wild wild west had Salons that were practically brothels) the quality was generally better except for healthcare.
No Corporate Machine? Even Eisenhower knew of the Military Industrial Complex at least as early as 1960, possibly much earlier.

As for prostitution being legal, my response is: Meh.

I know many HAers who love the idea of legal prostitution, but I hardly find this to be true companionship. A woman who sleeps with you only because you pay her? I'd rather sleep with someone who actually WANTS to go to bed with me, thank you very much. Luckily, my wife is one of those. =)

I agree with many HAers about a great many things, but the supposed "positive" points of picking up floozies is one where we will have to agree to disagree, I'm afraid.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 23rd, 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

eurobrat wrote:Sorry I meant late 1800's.
Ah, yes. Now on that I might be able to see you point. I still think I personally would not have fared well, though. If I am labeled as strange and unusual now in the "accepting" 2010's, I can only imagine that in the 1800's I would be hung on suspicion of being a warlock or some kind of hellspawn.

Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

Actually the US is FAAAAAAAAAR from being the best!!!!

I am also an American who lived in Asia, South America and now Europe and I'll be honest with you..... Americans are brainwashed into thinking we're number one

once you live abroad and immerse yourself in different cultures, you realize how horribly overrated America is, and how brainwashed the Average American is!!!
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The US is good in combination with some other countries. US diplomas are respected and when you apply for jobs in Saudi and you come from the US, they love you. Also, the selection of goods, the quality of air, water and roads is excellent. Service is slick. People are really good at what they do.
The US is also a place of easy credit and depending on how you use it, credit can be a great blessing.
But the US cannot give you everything so it should just be one country in the tapestry of your life with others completing it.
Thinking that one's country is the best is just a manifestation of extreme nationalism- a dying philosophy.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
skeptic
Freshman Poster

Post by skeptic »

No country is flawless, and the U.S. has its fair share of shortcomings, such as lack of public transportation options (in most parts of the country at least), expensive health care, low-quality food. On the other hand, however, if America is so terrible, how come people from various countries are still interested in moving here? Let's face it: many of those guys who look for Russian or Asian girls silently cherish a hope that being an American (i.e. a potential greencard provider) is at least one of the edges you have over an average Russian guy. If the U.S. was that terrible, would people still consider moving here as a viable option, especially now with the advent of internet and free information? I really doubt it.
You can run away from America, but you CAN'T run away from yourself.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

skeptic wrote:No country is flawless, and the U.S. has its fair share of shortcomings, such as lack of public transportation options (in most parts of the country at least), expensive health care, low-quality food. On the other hand, however, if America is so terrible, how come people from various countries are still interested in moving here? Let's face it: many of those guys who look for Russian or Asian girls silently cherish a hope that being an American (i.e. a potential greencard provider) is at least one of the edges you have over an average Russian guy. If the U.S. was that terrible, would people still consider moving here as a viable option, especially now with the advent of internet and free information? I really doubt it.
Only Third-world immigrants want to come to the U.S. nowadays. Even the Mexicans are starting to head back to their own country. Ask any Canadian, Australian, Japanese, European, or New Zealander if they want to live in the United States--and most will laugh in your face as a response.
skeptic
Freshman Poster

Post by skeptic »

zboy1 wrote: Only Third-world immigrants want to come to the U.S. nowadays. Even the Mexicans are starting to head back to their own country. Ask any Canadian, Australian, Japanese, European, or New Zealander if they want to live in the United States--and most will laugh in your face as a response.
Canada, Australia, the U.K., or any Western European country - they are all developed countries, more or less comparable to the U.S. not only in terms of living standards but also in terms of social predicaments.

But how about Russians, Ukrainians, etc.? Are young people from there at least somewhat interested in moving to America? I know for the fact that at least some of them are. And if this wasn't the case, there would've been much fewer cases of American (or any other foreign) men marrying Russian women. If anything, where do such couples settle mostly? Probably in the man's country (the U.S., Canada, etc.) rather than the woman's (Russia, Ukraine, etc.). And that perfectly fits to the stereotype of women interested in men of a higher status. For them, being American is considered a higher status. If they weren't interseted in moving to America, then American men would not be much better off in Russia than at home. One has to be in denial not to realize that the whole premise of foreign dating is largely based on hopes to sell your American status as a "commodity" that has value there but no value here. Without the prestige America enjoys, this would be hardly possible.

As for Mexicans, it's only the illegals that are moving back. They came to the States to earn some bucks and they did it as long as there were enough jobs for them. But I don't think too many of those of them who are naturalized in the States are so eager to go back.
You can run away from America, but you CAN'T run away from yourself.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote: Only Third-world immigrants want to come to the U.S. nowadays. Even the Mexicans are starting to head back to their own country. Ask any Canadian, Australian, Japanese, European, or New Zealander if they want to live in the United States--and most will laugh in your face as a response.
Actually, Canadians are the largest investors in US Real Estate, and large numbers of Canadians in the US are "snowbirds". Canadians can legally stay in the US for 180 days (6 months) every year and many come down to enjoy the warmer weather and better shopping (lower taxes!). My cousin-in-law's family is Canadian and they own property here in Southern CA, they come down from Edmonton every winter. When I was bidding on investment property in inland areas, I had to compete against Canadian, Chinese, and European buyers.

The Chinese are the 2nd largest foreign buyers of US RE. In terms of direct investment, the US received $234 billion in 2011 (14% increase from 2010), versus China received $116 billion (9.7% increase from 2010). There's still a lot of money coming into the country, and the job market here is better than Canada simply because we have a lot more people and opportunities. Plus the weather is better.

I visit Laguna Beach often and some of the stores are owned by UK ex-pats. They moved here for better weather and cheaper living. While RE prices have fallen here in the US, London RE has increased by 11.8% over the past year.