Need advice and help. I want to move to America.

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
jimmy95
Freshman Poster

Need advice and help. I want to move to America.

Post by jimmy95 »

Hi my name's Jimmy I'm 19 and from England basically I don't like England but I want to move to America I've been looking at college's and university's but the problem is funds along with a few other stuff and I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me plan stuff out, Thanks.
jimmy95
Freshman Poster

Post by jimmy95 »

Could someone with experience about this stuff pm me please.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Re: Need adivice and help.

Post by nicho12 »

jimmy95 wrote:Hi my name's Jimmy I'm 19 and from England basically I don't like England but I want to move to America I've been looking at college's and university's but the problem is funds along with a few other stuff and I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me plan stuff out, Thanks.
Dude, why jump on a sinking ship, trust me, just stay in England, it's like skipping urine and stepping in shit
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Last edited by polya on March 3rd, 2014, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Why don't you just go to another EU country instead? You will probably pay much less money for your education and you will get a high quality education.
It's generally not worth it for a foreigner to go to an American university unless he gets into an ivy league university or manages to get a sports scholarship.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Why in the world do you think you'd be happier in the USA??

Incidentally, judging from your writing samples, you don't seem to be college material.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Hero wrote:Incidentally, judging from your writing samples, you don't seem to be college material.
Guess you don't have to read any undergraduate compositions in the math dept. After grading hundreds of UW-Madison undergrad papers, I'd say he'd have no insurmountable problems there.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

gsjackson wrote:
Hero wrote:Incidentally, judging from your writing samples, you don't seem to be college material.
Guess you don't have to read any undergraduate compositions in the math dept. After grading hundreds of UW-Madison undergrad papers, I'd say he'd have no insurmountable problems there.
Actually, I was a math professor for 6 years. Just because somebody is a college student, doesn't mean that he's college material.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Jimmy why do you want to come to the States? I promise you the women are basically the same. If you apply for and get accepted to a college here the school will help you immigrate. If your goal is to meet some exotic girl this is not the avenue to explore it. First you need to study for a job that is in demand overseas, IT/internet, oil and gas, etc. Then enjoy just being a young guy. If you can work and save up some money definitely travel when you can. But you may just have to wait til you are working full-time to get some money to travel (unless your folks are helping you out). That's life but you are a young guy that can set his own plan going forward.
buddy77
Freshman Poster

You want to come to

Post by buddy77 »

USA? Really? its ironic since most of us here in HA want to get the hell out. I guess you heard that the USA is "The Greatest Country in The World"...LOL!

I wish there was a law that allowed any US citizen to expat to a foreign country (tax free and almost hassle free) everytime a foreigner enters the USA. Like a trade off.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Need advice and help. I want to move to America.

Post by HouseMD »

jimmy95 wrote:Hi my name's Jimmy I'm 19 and from England basically I don't like England but I want to move to America I've been looking at college's and university's but the problem is funds along with a few other stuff and I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me plan stuff out, Thanks.
Dude, if you are even average looking, you're going to get laid like you won't believe. That English accent carries weight like you don't even know.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I agree. Come to Asia, go to another European country, or even South America. You must be insane to consider any other country in the Anglosphere.

I'm in Beijing now, and even though I can't say I'm happy (Beijing is a hell of a place), I think I'm still more satisfied than when I was in Canada.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I know more people in Beijing than in Vancouver. The former sucks for getting women and yeah, and is not a place to live in (unless you are career oriented/workaholic), but overall the people in China are a lot more friendly than those in Canada.

Anglo people have this fear of forming deep connections and having people really enter their personal lives / getting to know them on a deeper level. Yes they seem really friendly and helpful on the surface, but they don't have time nor the desire to go further into a true friendship. The ones that do are normally older people who have more experiences in life.

My best friend here in Beijing (technically my tutor as well, but we don't give a damn about the professional relationship anymore) is a 54 year old British guy. Unfortunately he's married to a British woman 22 years his junior who's quite incompatible with him, and he'd certainly date a Chinese woman if he were still single. Dave is actually the best example of Happier Abroad that I've found so far.

He had a difficult upbringing with abusive parents. His mom and dad died early. He later joined the army, worked on a few other jobs, and went to the University of Leeds at the age of 38. He also got his Masters in History of Art from Cambridge. He's lived in China for the last 5 years, and is doing very well overall. He's also traveled to much of Europe, Turkey, Indonesia, and many other countries.

David is not a Christian but he's a very wise, kind, educated and cool guy. It's great to have him as my best buddy.

What I'm saying is, going abroad (OUTSIDE of the Anglosphere) to a country with a real history/culture really changes who you are. I believe that if David had stayed in the UK or if he were in some other Anglo country, our friendship would have never developed beyond a superficial level due to the judgmental and paranoid society in those places.

In some English speaking country he would have been almost immediately labeled as being a gay pedophile.

If the UK already has a crappy social scene, you will not have it any better in the US, Canada, AUS, NZ etc. You won't have it any better UNLESS you take that step. Of course truly going and living abroad won't always be as rosy as many portray it to be (be realistic, every place has its cons as well), but in the end you WILL learn new things, discover who you truly are, and find the love of your life.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

nicho12 wrote:
Dude, why jump on a sinking ship, trust me, just stay in England, it's like skipping urine and stepping in shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081j64nF2qw

"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jackal wrote:
Why don't you just go to another EU country instead? You will probably pay much less money for your education and you will get a high quality education.
It's generally not worth it for a foreigner to go to an American university unless he gets into an ivy league university or manages to get a sports scholarship.
Exactly right. Public colleges here charge foreigners much more. To get the lower rate you need to live in the state and work there a couple of years FIRST. Hard to do.

That leaves schools that are awash in money, expensive, but who can give you a free ride

Ones I know of:

Ivy League (Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Yale, Brown, Univ. of Pennsylvania)
Claremont
Whittier (California)

For science and engineering:
Rice
Harvey Mudd

Hundreds more... you need to find colleges with lower academic rankings, with few foreign students and lots of endowment money, so they can give you a fat scholarship in order to enhance their "international" image. It's all about how cool you can make them appear.

But like the other posters, I will add, you are making a big mistake.

Germany has a future, and is friendly. Easy to establish residency there with a modest online busness. And has much bette education than any Anglo country. German-speaking neighbors might also be worth a look.

Australia would at least put you around decent economies and marketable degrees. And they too would probably let you come in and establish residency easily, as a Brit who is young.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."