Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 pm

I guess I want to add to more positive stories about being "Happier Abroad," so here goes:

I truly feel that I made the right decision in quitting my good-paying but exhausting job, finishing my bachelors degree, and heading off to Asia. In the past year, I've been to many cities in China, S. Korea twice, Hong Kong, Thailand and, soon, Japan, Macau, and possibly Taiwan and the Philippines as well.

I want to thank everyone on this forum, past and present, for encouraging me--and even those that have hated-on-me in the past, including Cornfed,Billy, Rock, Ladislav and NewLifeinthePhillippines. I've made many personal friends on the forum including E_Irrizary, Baoning, EthanSg, Maverick, Winston and others. It's been a blessing for me to have read this forum, and it probably saved my life from the misery that would've followed...if I had decided to stay in the States, I woud've become another stupefied zombie like everyone else.

For those that are not happy with where they are: I was like you once--angry and unhappy. But I made it a goal to leave, and I'm glad I did. Anyway, I will take a couple of months off from this forum, and possibly forever (haven't yet decided), but I know I will greatly limit my posts on this forum.

I might check in, once-in-a-while, make one or two posts a month but not as frequently as I have done in the past. I feel like I've gotten all I can from this forum, and I am grateful. I want to make sure I give credit to this forum and not leave without saying goodbye (like some previous posters have done). I will also limit posting on other forums I frequent as well. Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope good things for the forum in the future.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

Postby starchild5 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:14 am

Glad that you found your way....You are heading to a great place....good Luck
starchild5
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:59 am

Asia sure is a good place to be. Eastern Asia and Southeast Asia, anyway. I'll be heading back there myself soon enough. Life in the U.S. is starting to get to me again and I'm not even 6 months back yet. Enjoy being happier abroad, and take care Zboy.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 am

Thanks Ghost. Come back soon to China. I know how you feel right now! I was back for only two months in the States, but I felt like I wanted to kill myself after being back. LOL.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:29 am

zboy1 wrote:Thanks Ghost. Come back soon to China. I know how you feel right now! I was back for only two months in the States, but I felt like I wanted to kill myself after being back. LOL.

Yeah, I really can't wait. Making plans, but being in the U.S. of Gay is wearing me down day by day. I'm working f***ing retail here, trying to stay sane. You are already back in China, right? Which part? It's such a big country and there so many hidden gems as a result. It's a great place to be happier abroad and there's opportunity there too.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:53 am

Ghost wrote:I'm working f***ing retail here, trying to stay sane.

LOL, it could be worse. If I told you what I am currently doing you would fall about laughing.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zacb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Congrats. As for Ghost, I hear you. I work in retail as well. The customers are nice, but the managers are the biggest pain.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:50 am

Cornfed wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'm working f***ing retail here, trying to stay sane.

LOL, it could be worse. If I told you what I am currently doing you would fall about laughing.

Want to PM it to me? And I'll tell you which company I work for. You'll think it's hilarious too. :)

zacb wrote:Congrats. As for Ghost, I hear you. I work in retail as well. The customers are nice, but the managers are the biggest pain.

I'm lucking out right now that mine are leaving me alone. I guess they can't afford to piss off any employees right now since the holidays are upon us...wouldn't do to have someone quit right before Black Friday! :lol:
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby modeeper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:41 pm

I left the USA in 1980 and never looked back. I did 7 years in Thailand, 1 year in China and 2 years in ROK. Now I'm retired in Guadalajara MX.

Asia was fun most of the time but I never came to realize it was a place for me for anything more than teaching EFL.

I prefer Christian Nations. No, I'm not a Christian by most Christian's definition. It's more a cultural thing than actual religious thing.

I had plenty of adorable GFs in Asia, none of whom I would have married. I had Thai GFs who believed in voodoo. Their conception of circular time, reincarnation, animism, how honesty is a weakness, all were obstacles for me.

There are not a Mexican woman over 25-30 who are attractive. They get big fast. But the mentality couldn't be better. They are sentimental, warm and defiantly family oriented.

I'm happy here. GDL is the greatest city in the World, an eternal spring, cheap living, cool people, great food.
modeeper
Freshman Poster

Return to Why Go Abroad? Tell Your Story and Reasons