Moved to Baja California

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
slazenger
Freshman Poster

Moved to Baja California

Post by slazenger »

I moved to Baja California (along the coast about 20 minutes drive south of the San Ysidro border, just outside of Tijuana). My reasons were pretty straightforward. In no particular order, I was tired of paying California (property and income) taxes, I wanted to build a house with an ocean view as well as a tennis court in a safe neighborhood without spending $5 million (think La Jolla or Del Mar), and I wanted closer proximity to latinas, my preferred dating partners. I own some apartments in Medellin so I'm there a fair amount, and I've met some women there and they generally can't travel to the US but Mexico is easy, so it's convenient having a place where they can stay for a few weeks if they want to visit. I speak Spanish fairly well (my ex-wife is Mexican) and I wanted my home base to be close to the US, so... Baja made the most sense for me when weighing all of the factors.
The illusions which exalt us are dearer to us than ten thousand truths.
ezinho
Freshman Poster

Re: Moved to Baja California

Post by ezinho »

So are you in Rosarito? How were you able to buy land as a foreigner in Mexico? I've looked a little into buying property in Mexico but if you do the math it actually seems cheaper to rent, unlike California where if you have a sufficient down payment it's cheaper to buy. Did you have to get a fidecomiso or whatever its called in order to purchase?

Sorry for all the questions but it's hard to find reliable information on buying property in Mexico. I agree with you that Baja is a logical place to look to buy property if you are from California but not too many Americans seem to be doing it, or at least as many as you'd think.
slazenger
Freshman Poster

Re: Moved to Baja California

Post by slazenger »

I'm near Rosarito. Yes, I have a fideicomiso. It was about US$3,000 to set up and it costs about $350 in annual fees to the bank.

Yeah, it's cheaper to rent in the sense that residential rents are low in Baja compared to property values. But I wanted to design and build my own home in exactly the manner I wanted it and the cost was so low (relative to SD) that the money wasn't relevant. I owned for many years and ultimately sold in CA before moving down to Baja.

I don't know the exact statistics, but my development has a lot of former Californians, many of whom commute to San Diego each day to work (I do not).
The illusions which exalt us are dearer to us than ten thousand truths.