Why I Did It...

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Why I Did It...

Post by The_Adventurer »

I went abroad because on my second trip to Japan, I sold more DVDs in one day than I could sell in a month in the US. The type of animation work I want to do is simply far better appreciated in Japan, and Asia in general than in the US or the west. In the US, cartoons are for kids and that's the end of the story. I'm not a kid and have no desire to tell children's stories. In Asia, animation can serve any purpose and is considered legitimate film making.

The dating scene is more of a bonus in my book. When I first started traveling, I didn't even know about what was available abroad. I looked at the women and assumed it was the same as in the US and so I went about my business. I didn't have any dating problems in the US. I worked in Hollywood, made great money and drove a fast convertible car, but none of that life was what I wanted. I wanted to do what I wanted do, the way I wanted to do it, without some studio bean counter who couldn't draw a stick figure telling me differently. Even If I made a lot less money, I wanted to live my life my way. I figured I could do that living abroad, away from the great expense of living in LA.

It wasn't just about cost, of course. I could probably live in Detroit slums cheaper than living in the Philippines, but who wants to live there? After reading this site and other sites about expat life abroad, I decided I could create the life I wanted overseas, and got on a plane. In the Philippines, I could do what I wanted to do, draw what I wanted to draw, and make enough money to live well there. There were ups and downs of course. There were close calls and last minute bail outs, but overall I was so much happier.

Next I tried Korea. I knew absolutely nothing about the place before meeting some Koreans who would become some of my best friends in life in Cebu City. After hearing about the technology, seeing pictures of where they lived, and learning it was also cheap, I decided to give it a go. Many things were almost as cheap or cheaper than Philippines, if you wanted to live at a similar level. Most were higher level than is even available at any price in Philippines. Eventually my friends all continued traveling, mainly to western destinations I had no interest in, so I went back to the Philippines. This time I perfected doing what I wanted to do and making enough to live well. Getting involved with too many girls, though, can eat any budget.

Eventually the slow lifestyle began to bother me. It became too easy. I had a nice place, a girlfriend who took great care of me. She cooked, cleaned and did pretty much everything. Sure I worked less, sometimes not at all for long stretches, and I made enough money for life there, but I wanted more. I wanted that fire back, like when I was pumped about creating great projects, making cool films and animation and living that fast, creative life. For some reason I had no motivation in the Philippines. It was like I was retired almost. I was not having experiences that create motivation. So I decided I would head off to China.

In China, most things are cheap, just like the Philippines. Many things are cheaper and, as with food, leagues beyond what is available there. The fire is back. I am pumped about doing something great again. I've gotten my girl motivated again too. (She's a genius, with 3 degrees and who started many successful businesses for relatives, and was always doing something, but got lazy just like I did when we moved in together, I guess) Even though we're apart for a while, we will see who makes it big first. There's something about the amazing futuristic city that makes me want to create, explore, live and do. It's a fire that only happens in places like Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Osaka and Shanghai. That's why I am living happier abroad.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

So where do you live now? In China? Where exactly? Doing what? How do you make ends meet there?

Maybe you can meet up with Globetrotter and check out his area?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I am in Shanghai, doing a few different animation related gigs.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
jounderw
Freshman Poster

Post by jounderw »

Yeah going abroad is one of those invaluable experiences that you will regret not doing if you have the opportunnity. Its is certainly one of the only times in your life where its the most affordable for sure.

Return to “Why Go Abroad? Tell Your Story and Reasons”