Rejected for EPIK teaching in Korea? What do I do know?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Rejected for EPIK teaching in Korea? What do I do know?

Post by zboy1 »

My application package for the EPIK program in Korea, just got rejected. I don't know what to do next. I've been applying to several job listings on Dave's ESL Cafe, and have only got one response back saying I've been turned down for the job. I've been applying to several recruiters and have heard back from only one recruiter. I've also applied to jobs in China, Thailand, and Taiwan, and have not heard back from them. I get the feeling my race (Korean American) is one of the drawbacks since I'm not White. Many of these places want a white face, so what should I do next?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

There are many Korean schools that hire gyopo's. I would start by googling "English teacher Korea wanted gyopos kyopo welcome".

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 66&bih=595

What are your qualifications exactly?

and are you posting at the Korean Jobs Discussion board about this problem? I am sure you are not the only one going through this and there are many people working there who could provide contacts to recruiters, schools that hire gyopos, etc.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

ladislav wrote:There are many Korean schools that hire gyopo's. I would start by googling "English teacher Korea wanted gyopos kyopo welcome".

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 66&bih=595

What are your qualifications exactly?

and are you posting at the Korean Jobs Discussion board about this problem? I am sure you are not the only one going through this and there are many people working there who could provide contacts to recruiters, schools that hire gyopos, etc.
Thanks for your response ladislav. I emailed you my personal qualifications because I feel uncomfortable posting it in public. I have tried gyopo friendly schools with no response. I've been told that with the worldwide recession going on, there has been an influx of applications to teach in Asia and that there is an oversupply of teachers in the market. It would make sense since so many college graduates are currently unemployed and looking for work right now. I think I applied at the wrong time in my opinion. If I had applied several years ago, prior to the financial crisis, I feel I would've been accepted to the EPIK program.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rejected for EPIK teaching in Korea? What do I do know?

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:My application package for the EPIK program in Korea, just got rejected. I don't know what to do next. I've been applying to several job listings on Dave's ESL Cafe, and have only got one response back saying I've been turned down for the job. I've been applying to several recruiters and have heard back from only one recruiter. I've also applied to jobs in China, Thailand, and Taiwan, and have not heard back from them. I get the feeling my race (Korean American) is one of the drawbacks since I'm not White. Many of these places want a white face, so what should I do next?
Yes they tend to favor Nordic looking females. As recently as 09 they had to pretty much take what they could get and attractive teachers could get more money at hagwons, so GEPIK/EPIK was a bit of a freak show, but now with ten times the applicants for positions that are being phased out, they are free to indulge their irrational whims. Requiring a CELTA or equivalent is also now standard. Personally I wouldn't recommend teaching in Korea even in the event you manage to find a job. Koreans are great people to hang out with but have always tended toward assholishness when it comes to business arrangements, and now they can replace teachers immediately you have no bargaining power.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

zboy,

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get the epik position.
From what I hear from my friends in Korea is that Epik is slowly phasing out foreign teachers because of bad behaviors. In other words they prefer local talent over foreign anything. But saying that.... It's true that many of the ESL schools in Asia prefer white looking people.

There still is a market for gyopos in Korea. It helps allot if you have the f-2 or is it f-4 visa. It gives you staying power in Korea. My advice is keep looking.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rejected for EPIK teaching in Korea? What do I do know?

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:Koreans are great people to hang out with but have always tended toward assholishness when it comes to business arrangements, and now they can replace teachers immediately you have no bargaining power.
:lol:

So true.

I worked at a Korean school for a while. and experienced both.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

chanta76 wrote:zboy,

From what I hear from my friends in Korea is that Epik is slowly phasing out foreign teachers because of bad behaviors. In other words they prefer local talent over foreign anything. But saying that.... It's true that many of the ESL schools in Asia prefer white looking people.

There still is a market for gyopos in Korea. It helps allot if you have the f-2 or is it f-4 visa. It gives you staying power in Korea. My advice is keep looking.
Thanks. I'm still looking, so hopefully something comes up....
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

zboy1 wrote:

If you're up for it, you might wanna try Vietnam or Cambodia. Not sure what qualifications you have, but once you're there you can go to expat sites like khmer440 and find some NGO work. The money won't be that much, but you can be a rockstar with the ladies. I tend to avoid over-industrialized cities like Los Angeles, Seoul, or Tokyo but that's just me. Yes, I'm a tree hugger.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Dragon wrote:
zboy1 wrote:

If you're up for it, you might wanna try Vietnam or Cambodia. Not sure what qualifications you have, but once you're there you can go to expat sites like khmer440 and find some NGO work. The money won't be that much, but you can be a rockstar with the ladies. I tend to avoid over-industrialized cities like Los Angeles, Seoul, or Tokyo but that's just me. Yes, I'm a tree hugger.
Yes, good point Dragon. I will try those websites you suggested.