New forum themes to choose from! Here's a demo

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jamesbond wrote:This underwater theme is the WORST! Please get rid of it, it is very hard on the eyes and you don't have a link that shows you the newest posts! The first black background theme was the best (not the aliens theme, the black background one before that). This underwater theme is absolutely terrible on your eyes and difficult to navigate around!
There is a bar to view the new posts. But it has icons rather than words. If you mouse over the row of icons at the top, it will tell you which one is the "view new posts" one. It's one of the ones with the envelope icon above.

Ok if you really hate this theme, then I'll soon move on to the next theme that I want to show you, as soon as I set it up. The next one is really pretty.

You mean you like the blacker theme? The only problem with that is the gray main body area was a bit gloomy and hard to see. Sorry that you don't like the underwater theme. I'll change it soon. Trial and error I guess. Too bad, this underwater theme is considered one of the coolest ones out there.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well folks, here's the new The Eighties theme. As you can see, it's pinkish but not to the point of being too girly or feminine, mixed with light green and light brown. It's a very pretty and pleasant theme, I think, on the eyes and on the senses. Don't you agree? Dianne loves it.

Jamesbond, what do you think?

Ladislav mentioned to me that he would consider a pinkish tone or shade in the forum to be uplifting to one's mood. So Ladislav, what do you think of this theme?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I do like it more than the blue aqua theme which was hard on the eyes and difficult to navigate around. I found the black background the most interesting because the colors came off looking better against the black background and it gave the site a more classy feel!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston, are there going to be anymore different forum demos? Or have we seen them all. The one we have now is ok but it's a little boring. I know you said we would eventually be able to choose what forum demo we wanted. Maybe you could give us a few choices.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jamesbond wrote:Winston, are there going to be anymore different forum demos? Or have we seen them all. The one we have now is ok but it's a little boring. I know you said we would eventually be able to choose what forum demo we wanted. Maybe you could give us a few choices.
There are more choices, but I just haven't had time to show them yet, since I have many projects I'm working on for this site and improving many aspects of it. The one we have now is bland, but non controversial and fits everyone's tastes. I probably won't be letting people choose themes yet, well maybe two or three, because I've custom designed this theme with so many modifications and it would take a lot of time to apply them to every theme. But I may decide to do it with two or three themes, so that those who prefer a black background theme can have it. However, I think this one is pretty universal. And besides, we have to pick a default theme that guests and first time visitors will see too.
Last edited by Winston on June 16th, 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Merry Christmas everyone! Here is a Christmas theme for this forum for just this occasion :)

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

WWu777 wrote:Merry Christmas everyone! Here is a Christmas theme for this forum for just this occasion :)
It's nice, I like it, although it cuts off our avatar images in half!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What do you all think of upgrading to phpbb3 and using this nice blue theme, which is similar to the one we have now?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... blue/demo/

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I say leave it as it is. I hate it when forums change their look and feel. It was bad enough when the pumpkins invaded here.

I guess you'll need to go to phpBB 3 eventually though.

I'm using the standard phpBB 3 skin on my new forum although I've pimped it up with a couple of mods and some custom PHP to put the ads in and keep the spammers out.

All I need now are some members!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's a great looking bluish theme for phpbb3 that looks almost identical to the one we have now. Notice how the board icons look the same. It's like an upgraded version of this theme.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ance/demo/

Winston
Site Admin

Re: New forum themes to choose from! Here's a demo

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
I just installed some dark forum themes here in case any of you prefer them. I figure it's ok to let you all choose other themes because usually it's the guests browsing here that click on ads, not the regular forum posters. Anyway, I installed two dark themes so far. You can preview them at the links below.

index.php?style=11
index.php?style=12

Are you all able to see them? To select one of them, go to your UCP by clicking your username in the top right corner and selecting "User Control Panel". Then in your UCP select Board Preferences and pick the forum theme that you want and hit Submit.

If there are any other themes you guys want, you can look at the styles database below and let me know.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Dear forum members,
As you might have noticed, when you come here on a smart phone or mobile device, the banners are overly large and go off the screen. That's because this new upgraded forum is responsive on mobile devices and automatically adjusts to your screen. However, the banners are fixed sizes and do not adjust. That's why it looks disproportionate on a mobile screen.

Since there is no easy way to make all the banners here responsive to mobile screens, I have no choice but to put up a second theme that is more mobile friendly and has smaller ads that fit a mobile screen. I've done just that. At the top under the main banner you will see a link that says, "Mobile Friendly Theme". You can click on that to get to the mobile friendly theme or preview it. On the mobile theme, there is another link in the same place that says "Desktop Theme" so you can switch back if you want.

This new mobile theme is actually a good desktop theme as well, so it doubles as both. Actually it was designed to be a desktop theme but it is responsive so it readjusts to fit a mobile screen. It also has much fewer ads as well, so if you hate the banner ads here, you can consider switching to it as your default theme. Here is the direct link to it:

index.php?style=20

This means you can also select this theme, which is called "Proflat" as your forum default theme if you want. To do that, simply go to your UCP in the top right corner, then select Board Preferences, and then pick the forum theme that you want. Currently, besides the Prosilver default theme, there are three others to choose from. Here are the preview links to them.

Proflat (light theme, good for mobile and desktop)
index.php?style=20

Black (dark background theme)
index.php?style=11

Black Green (green text on black background, similar to the old Apple II theme)
index.php?style=12

Please note that the Black theme is also mobile responsive, so it can be used as a mobile theme too, if you like dark themes that is. You can choose any of these as your default theme in your UCP.

If there are any othe themes you guys might like, let me know.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

New Mobile Theme Update!

I've changed the mobile theme to Elegance, which looks better and more like the colors we have for the Prosilver theme, after I got help from the developer to help fix some bugs in it that conflicted with another plug in. Here is the link to the new mobile theme:

index.php?style=21

You will see the link to it at the top under the banner as "Mobile Friendly Theme", which you can access anytime. From the mobile theme there is a Desktop Theme link at the top that takes you back to the desktop theme. You may also select this Elegance theme as your default theme, if you prefer it, from your UCP in the top right corner. It only has one small banner at the top and is responsive too, so it looks great as a desktop theme as well.