The Philippines: The world's budget English teacher

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20066890

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

The main problem with English in Philippines is the mediocrity level of it that is considered acceptable by most locals for the most part. You can come here to study just fine from non-English speaking countries but you cannot learn higher than intermediate level for the most part. Those needing a 7 or above on the IELTS test will struggle unless they can get personalized tutoring from a native speaker or high level educated Filipino. The English training institutes rarely can get students to get 7 and higher from my own experience.

Most educated Filipinos fall within the 5.5-6.5 band range, which is okay for basic and general communication but it is far from being higher level in comparison to native or higher skilled English speakers.

This is why IELTS makes so much money in PI, many locals have to take the test multiple times to pass and be able to qualify for a visa to an Anglo Western country.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, good article. I met my current Filipino FB friends because they taught English to my Japanese gf.

Of course Filipinos teaching English is a bit of an oxymoron, but then again BAD English is the fastest growing language on the planet.

Any of you guys who are in the Phillies can probably make $$$$ by setting up a cheap language school and teach English to people from Africa, gulf states, etc.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:Yeah, good article. I met my current Filipino FB friends because they taught English to my Japanese gf.

Of course Filipinos teaching English is a bit of an oxymoron, but then again BAD English is the fastest growing language on the planet.

Any of you guys who are in the Phillies can probably make $$$$ by setting up a cheap language school and teach English to people from Africa, gulf states, etc.
!!!!!!!!!!
:idea: