Winston, how did you get this forum off the ground?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Winston, how did you get this forum off the ground?

Post by zacb »

I am starting up a forum, so I was wondering you tricks that you used? How long it take to get off the ground?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Lol, only tumbleweed in my forum as well. It's hard assed work starting a forum!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Yeah, it can drive you crazy, to the point of literally talking to yourself. ;) lol
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Maker55
Junior Poster

Post by Maker55 »

You have to generate traffic.

Winston used methods for getting traffic.

Without traffic = failure

So whenever you guys create a website you MUST generate traffic.

This can be done by getting dofollow backlinks, writing articles, using yahoo answers and forum posting to get traffic.

You can't just build a website and expect it to just take off without any work towards getting traffic.
You're where you're at in life because of your thoughts.

What you think about the most is what you will eventually manifest in your life.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I know that, I already have a bunch of links up as it is. I guess my question is how do you get people to sign up and participate?
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Winston, how did you get this forum off the ground?

Post by Winston »

zacb wrote:I am starting up a forum, so I was wondering you tricks that you used? How long it take to get off the ground?
Because I'm "The Man". hahaha. Just kidding.

Well, as I explained before, I sent emails to an email list for several years prior to starting this site. The list was composed of people from Yahoo Group Lists about Russian Brides, friends, fans of my articles, and even enemies and critics. I put up a Geocities page about my adventures at the time, and got noticed because I was writing a lot of controversial trip reports that were too honest and drew heat. As word spread about it, more people began to visit, and then they emailed me and I added them to my list.

So I developed a reputation after a while for being overly honest, perceptive and controversial. I even ranted about my failures too. Some people have a knack for getting attention. I guess I'm one of them. So that is part of it too.

After my first trip to Russia in 2002, I was filled with a passion for promoting foreign women over American women. I felt like I was "saved" and "born again" and wanted to spread my Gospel like an Evangelist. That passion got me attention too.

So when I began this forum in 2007, I already had a fan base and email list. This forum took off immediately because of that.

Basically, I built up a reputation and fan base prior to this forum. That's how.

Yes you can post backlinks and write articles and pay for advertising to your forum to get traffic of course. But the problem with that is that if you have an empty forum where others aren't posting, even if you drive traffic there, people aren't going to post on an empty forum. Ask yourself: Would you post in an empty forum? Probably not. So that's the trick: Getting people to initially post to get the ball rolling. Otherwise, even if you have traffic, people will not post.

There are paid forum posting services, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

You can Google "how to get traffic to a forum" for more ideas and tips.

I have another forum at: http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/index.php

That one took a while for the ball to get rolling. I had to ask my friends and acquaintances to help me jumpstart it, which they did thank goodness. I also had a reputation in the field of paranormal research as well, after my articles in that subject, so it was easier for me than it would be for some random person.

I guess one tip I could give you is to start a mailing list. You can put a mailing list sign up form on your site through Mail Chimp by signing up at http://www.mailchimp.com . They have a free service that will manage your list for you. Then you have to keep the list interesting by sending updates. From there, you can transfer the list into a forum.

So the trick is having good content of course, as well as a knack for getting attention and inspiring people. Some of that is intangible.

You can also ask your friends and acquaintances to help you jumpstart your forum. Or offer them some incentive.

I hope that helps. Try Googling for more info or ask the folks on Warrior Forum.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Already on it ;). Thanks Winston.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

*Update: I now have six members on my forum, and have made my second sale. :D Now to get more and move to my little utopia.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

I feel that I should start a site promoting Asian men oriented travel abroad. There's already a lot of white guy sites, but very few to none for Asian guys. Even though this site's owner is Asian and he has some success abroad, I feel he doesn't do it with the flair necessary to promote it. If Winston were a movie, he'd be "Romeo Must Die" starring Jet Li, where Jet Li never even kissed the girl at the end (which is bullshit). What I'm saying is that I feel Winston doesn't have the style, game, and know-how reach the potential Asian-American men in general can overseas. Case in point is his lack of success in Taiwan, where I feel that he could probably have at least a little success with the local women if only he didn't look like an "Asian uncle" and/or he should have tried to learn the language. Asian guys are a different case because they don't have a lot of the supposed perceived advantages that white guys have overseas and should have their own site with detailed info.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

zacb wrote:I know that, I already have a bunch of links up as it is. I guess my question is how do you get people to sign up and participate?
Well WWu777 was it :?: was a well known handle in the multiple communities which made up the bulk of the visitors to this site when it first went active. I had wondered why on a board which used to brag about not every banning people banned Winston, their second banning, after two post. While I don't know what is going on in the monger said of the internet anymore on the other relationship side most of the sites have stopped talking about cultural differences and many post have reverted to the women of X country are god's gift to the earth and their shit doesn't even stink. So in a way this board is the one of the few on topic, it holds a unique niche, although many are scared off because it allows racist and mongers to continue to post.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Dragon wrote:I feel that I should start a site promoting Asian men oriented travel abroad. There's already a lot of white guy sites, but very few to none for Asian guys. Even though this site's owner is Asian and he has some success abroad, I feel he doesn't do it with the flair necessary to promote it. If Winston were a movie, he'd be "Romeo Must Die" starring Jet Li, where Jet Li never even kissed the girl at the end (which is bullshit). What I'm saying is that I feel Winston doesn't have the style, game, and know-how reach the potential Asian-American men in general can overseas. Case in point is his lack of success in Taiwan, where I feel that he could probably have at least a little success with the local women if only he didn't look like an "Asian uncle" and/or he should have tried to learn the language. Asian guys are a different case because they don't have a lot of the supposed perceived advantages that white guys have overseas and should have their own site with detailed info.
Not entirely true.

1. I do have a certain charisma. That's how I've drawn people to my site and writings since 2002. Even if it's due to me being infamous and controversial, it gets attention nevertheless. Any attention or type of charisma, even if it's negative, is better than none.

2. Many Asian guys have written me saying they were inspired by my writings, photo collage and videos. See their fan letters here: http://www.happierabroad.com/FanMail.htm

3. My best personality came out in Russia, where I could be myself. That's where you catch me at my best. Also in the Philippines too, although I don't like the physical environment. I have no chemistry at all with Taiwan and do not vibe with people or culture here, so you can't judge me by one insignificant little island alone. I do not know how to vibe or connect with the girls here who project cold walls and have a narrow/simple/primitive mentality. I am a 100 percent misfit in Taiwan, and there's really nothing I can do about that. My charisma doesn't work here, because there is no energy here and the Taiwan atmosphere is like kryptonite to me. Others have stated that my observations about Taiwan are true and not my imagination, both by email and in this forum.

4. I have had some dates in Taiwan, and even slept with a woman a few times. But the problem is that none of them were really my type. So it's not zero like you insinuate.

5. I never came to Taiwan for dating. Thus I cannot technically "fail" since it was officially never my mission here to find love or romance in Taiwan. I only came to write a book, update my site and breathe some fresh air. I didn't imagine that I would feel like a trapped Tarzan wanting to get out. I thought I could just concentrate on my work. But it's not that simple.

It was a mistake coming here. I admit my mistakes, unlike many guys. But don't judge me unfairly.

6. Regardless of my personality, I have good internet marketing and SEO skills, which has led to fairly good success at generating regular traffic here. We now have about 90,000 unique visitors per month to this site, which is pretty good and the result of hundreds of calculated adjustments/improvements/updates I've made.

Remember that I have vision, and vision is what starts movements and sites like this. Not everyone has that. Most people prefer to just follow.

7. Sure you can find other Asians with more flair. However, the reason my fans like me is because I'm down to earth, truthful and insightful. You won't find such qualities in most people with flair. Someone else may have flair, but will he resist BSing you? Will he be truthful and insightful? Or will he BS and overhype stuff? You gotta consider these things too. An airhead may prefer someone with more flair, but truth seekers who hate BS will prefer someone like me.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

Winston wrote:
Dragon wrote:I feel that I should start a site promoting Asian men oriented travel abroad. There's already a lot of white guy sites, but very few to none for Asian guys. Even though this site's owner is Asian and he has some success abroad, I feel he doesn't do it with the flair necessary to promote it. If Winston were a movie, he'd be "Romeo Must Die" starring Jet Li, where Jet Li never even kissed the girl at the end (which is bullshit). What I'm saying is that I feel Winston doesn't have the style, game, and know-how reach the potential Asian-American men in general can overseas. Case in point is his lack of success in Taiwan, where I feel that he could probably have at least a little success with the local women if only he didn't look like an "Asian uncle" and/or he should have tried to learn the language. Asian guys are a different case because they don't have a lot of the supposed perceived advantages that white guys have overseas and should have their own site with detailed info.
Not entirely true.

1. I do have a certain charisma. That's how I've drawn people to my site and writings since 2002. Even if it's due to me being infamous and controversial, it gets attention nevertheless. Any attention or type of charisma, even if it's negative, is better than none.

2. Many Asian guys have written me saying they were inspired by my writings, photo collage and videos. See their fan letters here: http://www.happierabroad.com/FanMail.htm

3. My best personality came out in Russia, where I could be myself. That's where you catch me at my best. Also in the Philippines too, although I don't like the physical environment. I have no chemistry at all with Taiwan and do not vibe with people or culture here, so you can't judge me by one insignificant little island alone. I do not know how to vibe or connect with the girls here who project cold walls and have a narrow/simple/primitive mentality. I am a 100 percent misfit in Taiwan, and there's really nothing I can do about that. My charisma doesn't work here, because there is no energy here and the Taiwan atmosphere is like kryptonite to me. Others have stated that my observations about Taiwan are true and not my imagination, both by email and in this forum.

4. I have had some dates in Taiwan, and even slept with a woman a few times. But the problem is that none of them were really my type. So it's not zero like you insinuate.

5. I never came to Taiwan for dating. Thus I cannot technically "fail" since it was officially never my mission here to find love or romance in Taiwan. I only came to write a book, update my site and breathe some fresh air. I didn't imagine that I would feel like a trapped Tarzan wanting to get out. I thought I could just concentrate on my work. But it's not that simple.

It was a mistake coming here. I admit my mistakes, unlike many guys. But don't judge me unfairly.

6. Regardless of my personality, I have good internet marketing and SEO skills, which has led to fairly good success at generating regular traffic here. We now have about 90,000 unique visitors per month to this site, which is pretty good and the result of hundreds of calculated adjustments/improvements/updates I've made.

Remember that I have vision, and vision is what starts movements and sites like this. Not everyone has that. Most people prefer to just follow.

7. Sure you can find other Asians with more flair. However, the reason my fans like me is because I'm down to earth, truthful and insightful. You won't find such qualities in most people with flair. Someone else may have flair, but will he resist BSing you? Will he be truthful and insightful? Or will he BS and overhype stuff? You gotta consider these things too. An airhead may prefer someone with more flair, but truth seekers who hate BS will prefer someone like me.
Alright. I understand your points now that they're more clear. Just keep doing what you're doing then, for the benefit of all Asian-kind.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Winston's the man, but then again it's taken him 12279 posts to get this forum where it is today! No wonder he never leaves his parent's house.

Although in terms of traffic/number of new posts here, there's gotta be a heck of a lot of lurkers!!!

My forum has stagnated, so I'll have to try the old trick of posting lots of fake postings. To be fair, the Internet is a very different place than it was when Winston got started.

My Facebook pages are doing rather better, with Hot Chinese Women on 4 likes and Hot Japanese Women on 2 likes. Once each page gets 30 likes they give you some bonuses like analytics.

The good thing about the Internet is that you can experiment, and shut things down that don't work, while expanding the promising things.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just out of curiosity:

How many of you guys prefer that I be like most guys in that I act like I'm getting laid everywhere I go, and BS and never admit any faults or weaknesses, in order to maintain a certain image, as opposed to telling the truth like it is?

Dragon, which do you prefer? There are lots of smooth talking people out there for sure.

Which is better: The guy who only says what makes himself look good but isn't as honest? Or the guy who is honest and tells the truth but makes himself look bad in the process? Which do you guys prefer?

FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

Winston wrote:Just out of curiosity:

How many of you guys prefer that I be like most guys in that I act like I'm getting laid everywhere I go, and BS and never admit any faults or weaknesses, in order to maintain a certain image, as opposed to telling the truth like it is?

Dragon, which do you prefer? There are lots of smooth talking people out there for sure.

Which is better: The guy who only says what makes himself look good but isn't as honest? Or the guy who is honest and tells the truth but makes himself look bad in the process? Which do you guys prefer?
You're honest and that's a great quality. I hope you always stay that way. The internet (and life in general) is full of liars and bs artists. Men with integrity are few and far between.