Ginger, How Much Does A University Professor Make?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Ginger, How Much Does A University Professor Make?

Post by Dragon »

Since you've mentioned in your previous posts that you teach classes at University, I bet you're the most qualified person to answer this. So in planning my future move to the PH, I've been thinking about income sources to make sure I don't live like a pauper. I already know that engineering doesn't pay well in the PH and many native Filipino engineers work overseas. What if I instead became an Engineering professor, particularly at one of the top 3 universities in the PH? I could continue my education in the states and obtain my PhD, then apply for a position there. Is this a viable option? I know nothing about the PH academic system and the job market for University professors over there. Will I even make enough to live comfortably? Could I qualify just with a Master's degree? I don't look forward to spending the 5~ years it's going to take to earn an Engineering PhD.

It sound extreme but it gives me something to do if I ever live there (I like teaching and hard subject academics) and could possibly provide a reasonable income for me.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Re: Ginger, How Much Does A University Professor Make?

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 14th, 2013, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Professors generally get paid shit for the most part. The two main private universities Ateneo and De Lasalle pay better than University of Philippines, generally people teach at UP for the prestige, not the amount of money they make. Plus I hear they don't get paid on time either. I know a full time UP professor makes less than 20,000 pesos a month. Maybe the others make around 30,000 or so. Professors mainly deal with the low pay because they know they can get a pension when they retire, so they put up with the meager salaries.

Anyways, you generally can't work as a foreigner in the Philippines unless the company or school can't find an equivalent Filipino to do the job.

What I do skirts these rules a bit and I work with retired or part-time professors so I know whats up.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 14th, 2013, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

Thanks a lot guys. I'm looking for many different venues to earn decent income. Maybe I should of went to med school instead of engineering lol.

@Ginger: I suppose it would be the income level that constitutes middle or upper-milddle class in the PH. I don't know what that amount is, but from what I've read from other posts, $1500-2000 (61395-81860 Pesos) per month supposedly enables you to live rather comfortably in PH. Although more is always better :P
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Dragon,

If you have 10k USD you can invest in a franchise with enough natural made barrier of entry. Like food stalls or crafts.

I have friends who own those stalls in the malls and they make good money enough to sustain upper middle class lifestyle.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Why do you need to work as a professor there if you can just teach ESL online? PM me and I will tell you how you can do it. I was making the money you have mentioned $1500-2000 just teaching online.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

mguy,
Can you tell me/us more about those franchises for 10K you referred to on that post? That picked my curiosity...

thanks!
mguy wrote:Dragon,

If you have 10k USD you can invest in a franchise with enough natural made barrier of entry. Like food stalls or crafts.

I have friends who own those stalls in the malls and they make good money enough to sustain upper middle class lifestyle.