China Visa Woes... Where Else Can I Go?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK I think everything is solved. They're sending me my original documents so hopefully that's all I need to get the visa. I'm cutting it a bit fine time-wise, but there are many ways of getting to Guangzhou so hopefully I'll be OK for finding flights. I can always start a bit late I guess.

I suppose I could have used a letter of invitation instead of a flight booking, but I don't know how feasible this is now.

Look on Google and you'll see how hard folk from any country have it when they want a China visa now. Don't ready anything that pre-dates August 2012 though, it will be obsolete information.

I've heard the Chinese embassy in Thailand is making it more difficult to get visas now as well.

And China visas are expensive - mine will cost me $193 in total once you take special delivery mail costs into account.

The good news is that I think I can fly really cheaply if I use a gulf carrier and change in Qatar.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

xiongmao wrote:The good news is that I think I can fly really cheaply if I use a gulf carrier and change in Qatar.
Qatar Airways is really good. And Emirates (also excellent) have a sale on at the moment but you must book by 10 January.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK that's good to know.

The cheapest option is actually Air China via Beijing. However, I don't like the idea of going to Beijing in February in case I get snowed in!

Also Qatar from Heathrow is on a Dreamliner, but Beijing to Guangzhou is a 737.

If anyone is interested in meeting up then I'm hoping to do the MBA in Guangzhou, so that means I'll be there for nearly 3 years, plus maybe a year elsewhere if I do an internship.

The MBA takes care of the visa worries, plus it would be a great way of meeting people. I'm fed up with working - I've worked continuously for 10 years. I need a break.

I'll try and organise a side trip to the Phillies - maybe I can do an internship somewhere interesting. Maybe with my new found management skills I could project manage our efforts to get Winston off that island!!!
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:...this is the part where, being a ROC (TW) passport holder is a benefit, because you can qualify for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_T ... _Residents
Yeah I already got that. I was told by the travel agency that all I have to do is show up in China and then get it stamped at a counter in the airport, and that's it.

I wonder why China makes it so hard for US and UK citizens to get a visa. Don't they want tourists from Western countries? Surely they are smart enough to know that less trouble the better right?

It's funny that Chinese show such a hospitable face to white westerners but make it so complicated for them to get visas. lol

Do Westerners need a visa for Hong Kong too? Do different rules apply there, even though it's part of China?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

The_Adventurer wrote:Why not just have one of your friends write an invite letter and provide an address where you will be staying with them? It worked for me. You MUST have plane tickets booked though. That only makes sense. It must be on the application.

HK is an option. For about 1350RMB you can get your visa in 24 hours. Only need one night in hotel. You can get a nice hotel for 800 to 1000 RMB. I did a visa run to HK once, spent about 2500RMB total.
http://www.ctshk.com/english/useful/chinesevisa.htm

http://www.chinavisa.com.hk/

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pass ... rvice.html
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
momopi wrote:...this is the part where, being a ROC (TW) passport holder is a benefit, because you can qualify for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_T ... _Residents
Yeah I already got that. I was told by the travel agency that all I have to do is show up in China and then get it stamped at a counter in the airport, and that's it.

I wonder why China makes it so hard for US and UK citizens to get a visa. Don't they want tourists from Western countries? Surely they are smart enough to know that less trouble the better right?

It's funny that Chinese show such a hospitable face to white westerners but make it so complicated for them to get visas. lol

Do Westerners need a visa for Hong Kong too? Do different rules apply there, even though it's part of China?
No, HK is a piece of cake for most western passports as are many other Asian countries. Just show-up and they stamp you right in! No need for prearranged visa.

BTW, PRC Chinese are not always so hospitable to westerners. Depends on the time, place, and circumstances. And if for any reason China is pissed off at your country, you might get random insults or even attacks from occasional nutters. And some people do not have a good service attitude. There are places there which can seem 'Chiayi-ish' too. For example, I visited dinosaur museum in Zigong Sichuan and felt the people there to generally be very dour, boring,and unfriendly.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

One time I went to Pizza Hut in Guangzhou, and the waitress girl at the door didn't say 88. I told my Chinese gf I thought this was a bit off.

Customer service in China is generally nothing like in Japan or even the USA. Slow service, bad food, sometimes no food at all is very common.

And yeah, I've had random nutters come up to me in Asia. Winston moans about lack of eye contact, but sometimes it's better if you're not noticed.

HK is easy to visit, no visa normally needed. I've heard the Philippines is the same, although if you want to stay long time then it's worth making yourself known to the embassy - I've heard they'll dish out 1 year visas if you're nice to them. A year in the Phillies - that's got to be most mens' dreams come true.

I'll stay away from any political/social problems in Guangzhou. We Brits gave the Chinese back their island, so I'm sure we're on fairly good terms.

On the other hand, there's staggering hatred towards Japan throughout China. My various ex's have made me well aware of this, especially those who live in Provinces associated with atrocities.

Hopefully the USA will diffuse any silly rows before it escalates and Taiwan gets smoked in an act of spite.

My recent visa issues have made me aware that if there is a problem in China, the government there will blame Japan and|or foreigners. Still, at least I won't be in Beijng which is where most crackdowns occur.

As for visa problems, well most (75%?) visitors to China go on group guided tours or go there on business. It's the others that China is less welcoming of.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: BTW, PRC Chinese are not always so hospitable to westerners. Depends on the time, place, and circumstances. And if for any reason China is pissed off at your country, you might get random insults or even attacks from occasional nutters. And some people do not have a good service attitude. There are places there which can seem 'Chiayi-ish' too. For example, I visited dinosaur museum in Zigong Sichuan and felt the people there to generally be very dour, boring,and unfriendly.
...there is another advantage that Winston has over others when visiting China.

I have yet to see protests against ABC's.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I went to the Kikkoman factory in Tokyo. The girls there were so friendly and when I left they gave me a bottle of their famous soy sauce!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Hmm. If you're Asian and visiting Greece, make sure you look like a tourist and not a migrant laborer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Phew. Well DHL called yesterday but I was out. I assume my documents have made it to the UK so looks like Plan A is back on.

Now the main problem is wondering if it's safe to book a flight on a Dreamliner!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

xiongmao wrote:Phew. Well DHL called yesterday but I was out. I assume my documents have made it to the UK so looks like Plan A is back on.

Now the main problem is wondering if it's safe to book a flight on a Dreamliner!
Try Emirates. All their Heathrow flights to Dubai are on the new A380s, where their economy class is beyond excellent: lots of legroom, comfortable seats, the best inflight entertainment system I have ever seen, electrical sockets and even a free Wi-fi service (which is quite slow though, but still... :) ). Food isn't bad either. Yeah I wouldn't trust dreamliners...especially if that "dream" turns into battery spark nightmare ;)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

My documents are now in the Chinese embassy. Fingers crossed...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK I got my China visa. Now to look for a flight...
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

xiongmao wrote:OK I got my China visa. Now to look for a flight...
Glad to hear it.
I find Kayak and Skyscanner pretty good for flights.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle