Recommended books-ESL teachers crazy experiences overseas

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Recommended books-ESL teachers crazy experiences overseas

Post by zboy1 »

If anyone is interested in becoming an ESL teacher overseas, I am personally recommending these books to other members of HA--as it details the trials and tribulations and wacky stories of some ESL teachers that people will find quite intriguing.

Vodkaberg: Nine Years in Russia (English Teacher X)

English Teacher X Guide To Teaching English Abroad: Practical Advice for Surviving the Perils and Pitfalls of a TEFL Job

Prisoner of Wonderland: An ESL Misadventure (South Korea)

Read the preview of the book, Prisoner of Wonderland here: http://books.google.com/books?id=-2BvJq ... &q&f=false
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Konglish: The Ultimate Survival Guide for Teaching English in South Korea

Top 5 Reasons not to Teach ESL in South Korea
http://www.squidoo.com/top-5-reasons-no ... outh-korea

I Came To In Geumho-dong
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:I am currently working on getting an ESL job. The offers are fairly easy to get; it's the details that get you! I am trying to negotiate some things right now so that I don't end up in a tough spot.

Regardless, though, it is always prudent to go with some money in your pocket and a solid back-up plan.
I recommend you avoid going to Korea, Ghost. After reading many of the books from ESL teachers about the place, Koreans are really some of the worst people on the planet. I should know, being a Korean man myself; rude, materialistic, greedy, hateful, racist, and very Anti-American, Koreans can be the scum of the Earth....