Hi everyone, I'm in Taiwan now

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I'm in Taiwan now

Post by Winston »

Hi everyone,
I'm in Taiwan now visiting my family for Chinese New Year. I've been busy the past few days and trying to adjust to the cold temperatures here which might have made me sick, so I haven't been online much.

Anyhow when I arrived a few days ago I was amazed at how clean and modern everything was compared to the Philippines. I guess I've been in the PI for too long. Everything is so nicely protected too (since Taiwanese tend to be overprotective worryworts), the whole subway ramp in Kaohsiung is encased in a glass shield so no one can fall off the platform, and the malls had safety nets to protect anyone from the 2nd floor and above in case they fall off the rail. It's like they are "overprotective", just like Taiwanese parents. lol Also, the food here is a million times better in quality and taste than in the Philippines. I had the best meal I had on the first night here in over a year.

However, the obvious drawback is that most of the girls here are kind of ugly (only 10 percent are even cute) and stuck up as well. People don't talk to strangers unless they are introduced by mutual friends, or meet at school or work. (Gee what are the odds that you are going to find your soulmate just happening to sit next to you at work or in the classroom or introduced by someone, with such odds, most would be forced to settle) p***y is hard to get here, and if you paid for it, it'd start at $150 and up, which is expensive. The girls are really prudish too obviously, from their body language, vibe and behavior. They will not even shake a guy's hand because they hate touching in general, except with their close girlfriends. They are almost Muslim-like in their extreme prudishness. Even Taiwanese movies never show any sex or kissing.

Thus the tradeoffs.

Still, there are foreigners here who claim to do well with the ladies here and have multiple girlfriends here and that the girls here are very horny and good in bed. So I don't know how they do it, since it does not look easy on the surface at all. Nowhere as easy as in the PI or Thailand. Horny or wild Taiwanese girls are still like UFO's to me. I only hear about them but I don't ever see them, or experience them for that matter. Even if you met floosy girls here in the city clubs, they're still going to probably be very picky. I have seen good looking pretty girls here with foreign guys but they are usually guys who have been living here for a long time.

Anyhow, if any of you are in Taiwan and want to try to meet up, let me know.

Happy Chinese New Year,
Winston
Last edited by Winston on January 30th, 2009, 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Momopi, question about dating in Taiwan

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
I have a question about dating in Taiwan. Since people here generally only meet each other through groups of mutual friends, school and work, then obviously the number of people an average person meets in his/her life here is very small and limited. So they don't have that many choices. After all, what are the odds that your perfect soulmate, or even an attractive person you really like, is going to just happen to be sitting next to you at work or school? Or just happen to be the one whom your mutual friend hooks you up with?

So, with such limiting odds, do most Taiwanese just eventually end up settling? If so, how come their marriages seem to be long lasting? I have a cousin who did that, and he ended up with someone I consider very plain and short, yet he was happy with her. Are Taiwanese not that big on looks? Do they not need someone "hot"?

Also, don't they find this process to be limiting, giving them few choices?

And how come every single Taiwanese couple I know is faithful, monogamous, steady and happy that way? Is that just a front? Why do they have no desire to stray?

Any idea?

Also, I kind of feel ashamed to let my relatives here know that the reason I didn't marry Dianne was because I'm not monogamous and cherish my freedom too much to get into a binding lifelong commitment. They kind of assume that EVERYONE is monogamous, desires commitment and are willing to give up their freedom for it. Such assumptions are not always true of course, but that is what they assume nonetheless. Thus, they would look down upon such a reason.

So perhaps I'll just give them the other reason, that we constantly argue and have personality conflicts so I don't feel wise about marrying here, which is true as well, since it's more understandable and acceptable to their mentality?

What do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
gits
Freshman Poster

Post by gits »

I think you should take a look at my book: http://www.notsarsjustsex.com/free45.htm

There's a list of the rules to get picked up in bars in Taiwan.

How to get picked up by Chinese girls at bars:
1. Be a foreigner.
2. Don't speak Chinese.
3. Dress the part. Groom yourself. Look rich.
4. Be seen at bars. The more a girl can see you, the more she will consider you trustworthy.
5. Stand at the bar, right in the middle.
6. Order a drink and don't bother looking interested in anything particular. Chat with a friend if you brought one. Girls will cruise you and if you have followed steps 1 through 3 correctly, they will come up (sooner or later) and talk to you.
7. Make Conversation. Be Mysterious. Smile. Use lots of vague answers. When you're asked about your job, don't say you teach English, because that just locks you into an exclusive club of 99% of the foreigners in Taiwan, none of whom are known for having any real money.

When I said "be a foreigner" it was because I didn't want to too blatantly copy the writer that gave me the idea who said:

1. Be white. And if you can't be white, be black, which might even pay better due to different market segments and demand inequalities.... Just don't be Asian, and if you are be ABC (American Born Chinese)

This is where I have to change the perspective of the Chinese girls on you , and address the fact that your perspective on them is that they are ugly.

I think the problem here is that you (Winston) are Chinese, so when you look at these girls, you see faces that you have seen your whole life. Maybe even see reflections of family member attributes. Just like me with the russian girls I see in photos you have shown. Opposites attract.

that's all for now....
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi Gits,
So are you saying that foreigners can only do well in bars in Taiwan? What about with normal mainstream girls? Did you meet your gf in a bar or at work?

What type of girls go to the bars in Taiwan? Are they normal girls? Whores? Or just girls with a fetish for foreign men?

I went to one of those bars once a few years ago. The girls there spoke English pretty good, but weren't interested in me. I think they wanted tall white guys. And I followed most of what you listed, including the don't speak Chinese and speaking only English.

Actually I haven't seen any Chinese girls in a long time. It's not because I'm used to their faces. It's just that I like tall girls with symmetrical faces and round eyes, like they are in the Philippines, either that EuroAsian look or the perfectly symmetrical China doll look that you see in Chinese/Hong Kong Kung Fu movies. Those aren't in the majority of girls of course.

What about Hong Kong? Have you been there? Is the dating scene similar to Taiwan? I heard it's more wild and has more nightlife options? You would think, since their movies seem more extreme, creative and over the top, whereas Taiwanese shows tend to be serious dramas or conservative and down to earth.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I'm still in Taiwan, enjoying our nice quiet house by the lake. Momopi came for a visit one day and we showed him a park and nice vegetarian restaurant. He is definitely a stable, practical, down to earth person with a good head on his shoulders who is also extremely knowledgeable about the business world. Definitely a person to listen to for advice, as his suggestions are informed, practical and contain good ideas.

I'm kind of reluctant to go back to Angeles City cause the air here is so much cleaner and fresher, and my home here is much more comfortable, big, clean and luxurious. But I do miss Dianne and my son.

However, I cannot believe how repressed the vibe is here. You can feel the repression all around you. It's as if sex doesn't exist here, and you get the impression that you aren't even SUPPOSED to have sexual desires! So you wonder how this population reproduces. The women are the most frigid and prudish I ever met. It's in their vibe, posture, body language, demeanor, expression, etc. And they are ultra inhibited. They don't like to touch people, don't like to shake hands, etc. They are frightened and uncomfortable around strangers. Trying to flirt with them feels like as if you are cussing in a church. Seriously. It's that extreme. How did it get to be that way here? How do people just turn off their desires and hormones like that? I don't get it.

Even girls in the big cities here are like this.

I wonder what Hugh Heffner would do if he were here. It's probably be his worst nightmare. Imagine him surrounded by Taiwanese playboy bunnies who won't touch him or even shake his hand. lol. (though from what I read on the internet, 500 dollars will get you laid with a hottie, 500 dollars! Sheesh! I'm sure Hugh Heffner could easily afford 500 dollars, but you get the point)

Anyhow, this is definitely not a country to go for sex, dating or even meeting women. Sure you can get a girlfriend here if you live long term, but even still, there aren't that many choices.

But if you are very conservative, do not need female companionship or sex, and you like a safe environment with good quality food, modern conveniences, and conservative people with a strong conscience and values, and you click with closed minded workaholic type people, you may like Taiwan. Almost all the food here, including the cheap food you get on the streets and canteens, is of very good quality and taste. And the variety of Chinese food here is infinite. People tend to be very good natured, pleasant, gentle, duty-bound, obedient, kind, and generous. It's also an extremely safe country that is virtually danger free.

But as to hot girls, sex, flirting, dating, meeting girls, female companionship, etc. this is probably one of the worst most frigid, repressed and inhibited countries in the world for such things. It's so repressed that you get the sense that having sexual desires is not even allowed, hence you have to pretend that you don't have them to not violate the equilibrium here.

Taiwanese consider being prudish, frigid, and anti-sex to be normal of course. Hence, this is one of those things that are as obvious as the blue sky but taboo to mention or complain about. In other words, you aren't supposed to say that that's a "bad thing".

Anyhow, that's my take on it.

What's funny is that Angeles City, Manila, Bangkok and Pattaya, which are like "sex disneyland" are only an hour's flight from here. So, one of the most sexually active and open places in the world and one of the most prudish, frigid and inhibited places in the world, are right next to each other. lol It's like a thin veil between difference dimensions. lol
Last edited by Winston on February 14th, 2009, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

To see an example of what I mean, check out this video of what a guy in Taiwan does when he can't handle the sexual repression in the country anymore! LOL It's funny and pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCDVsUyd-0