29th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

29th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival

Post by momopi »

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I saw the one you posted on another thread an was quite amazed. I've seen ice sculptures at Penn State in State College, Pennsyvania, and also in Quebec. None were like these.

The colored, lighted structures are actually mae from ice?

How long has this been going on?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Int ... e_Festival

The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival (Chinese: 哈尔滨国际冰雪节; pinyin: Hā'ěrbīn Guójì Bīngxuě Jié) has been held since 1963. It had been interrupted for a number of years during the Cultural Revolution but had been resumed by 1985.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Int ... e_Festival

The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival (Chinese: 哈尔滨国际冰雪节; pinyin: Hā'ěrbīn Guójì Bīngxuě Jié) has been held since 1963. It had been interrupted for a number of years during the Cultural Revolution but had been resumed by 1985.
:shock:

Amazing how filtered my preconceptions are.

I suspect that I would know more about the world if I had never read a newspaper or turned on a television.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Since ice sculptures melt and this kind of festival can only be seasonal, there's a certain beauty in its impermanence. The beauty can only be enjoyed in the moment that is "now" and no amount of photos or videos will ever match the experience of being there in-person.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:Since ice sculptures melt and this kind of festival can only be seasonal, there's a certain beauty in its impermanence. The beauty can only be enjoyed in the moment that is "now" and no amount of photos or videos will ever match the experience of being there in-person.
Message noted.

;)