Living in Thailand....Where to go next?

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Living in Thailand....Where to go next?

Post by HESNSC28 »

Hi All,

I am a 28 year old TEFL teacher who taught in Vietnam for a school year and now I am teaching in Thailand (the Isaan area). I am thinking about moving to another country when my contract here ends, preferably Cambodia or Malaysia. I prefer countries with lower costs of living and places where English is spoken more. I say that since where I live now in Thailand, there aren't many Thais who speak English, which has made my dating life difficult. When I used to live in Saigon, it was much easier to find women to date and women who spoke English. But, I found in Vietnam women there were looking to get married quickly. Also, I didn't like SGN since most people had no class or manners, they picked their noses, and there was blatant overcharging for foreigners (I know most countries overcharge foreigners in SE Asia, but there it was more adversarial). I like Thailand since the people are polite and it's a relaxing place to live (outisde the touristy cities), but most women here have become Westernized.

So, now I am torn on whether to stay in Thailand or try another country. Thus, if anyone can give me suggestions on other countries, that would be helpful. I like the politeness/friendliness of the Thai people, but I don't like how the women are becoming more Westernized and materialistic like American women.

Which SE Asian countries have generally friendly people and a good dating scene for foreign men? (I know most countries have the P4P option, but I prefer a "normal" woman to date) (If "normal women exist :roll: )

Thanks! :)
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

Well as you think,and that's probably true to some extent, Thai women to be getting westernized,there at not too many options open to you.

Does Cambodia or the Phils would make it?
I won't consider Malaysia as a place to date,unless you are Muslim or being already very well connected.
It's a conservative country.

Cambodia is really poor..people don't speak at all English,in no way it will make sense to move there and to find a non westernized women in a poor countryside without any education or English can't be a solution.

The Phils came back as a place where serious women could be found or atleast with more familiar value compared to Thailand.
But many drawbacks exist,pollution,overcrowding,macho type men,violence...

I just think that Thailand has evolved to a country where westerners are mainly seeing as a meal ticket.
They are too many guys who goes there,wanting to escape the West,but they don't understand anything in how they are played.
Love as we know,or the simulacre of love is almost non existant in Thailand.
Those men can't understand that spreading Thai women legs mean nothing.

Speaking for myself,i'm giving me some few years to build something in Thailand but after many trips i've lost a lot of my pinky wonderland women country vision.
Still a great place to f**k around,to play but for a serious relation it's a lot more difficult.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I'd say the Philippines and you can find places that are not as polluted and that have a low crime rate. Google Philippine expat forum and ask there. Also, dunno about the macho thing with Filipino guys- most are very humble and passive.

And there is love there. There is none in Thailand.

Oh, and why did you expect Thais to speak English? Brits do not speak Thai, do they? Thailand is a sovereign nation and you should learn to speak their language ideally. But even then it is kind of useless because culturally they are not compatible.

The Thais are not materialistic because they are Westernized- it is just inherent greed in the culture.

Just go to the Philippines- it has many cities and you can find one that is clean and with a very low crime rate. Bacolod, Davao or Dumaguete, Dipolog are all nice.

You may also try Myanmar.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Post by HESNSC28 »

green1976 wrote:Well as you think,and that's probably true to some extent, Thai women to be getting westernized,there at not too many options open to you.

Does Cambodia or the Phils would make it?
I won't consider Malaysia as a place to date,unless you are Muslim or being already very well connected.
It's a conservative country.

Cambodia is really poor..people don't speak at all English,in no way it will make sense to move there and to find a non westernized women in a poor countryside without any education or English can't be a solution.

The Phils came back as a place where serious women could be found or atleast with more familiar value compared to Thailand.
But many drawbacks exist,pollution,overcrowding,macho type men,violence...

I just think that Thailand has evolved to a country where westerners are mainly seeing as a meal ticket.
They are too many guys who goes there,wanting to escape the West,but they don't understand anything in how they are played.
Love as we know,or the simulacre of love is almost non existant in Thailand.
Those men can't understand that spreading Thai women legs mean nothing.

Speaking for myself,i'm giving me some few years to build something in Thailand but after many trips i've lost a lot of my pinky wonderland women country vision.
Still a great place to f**k around,to play but for a serious relation it's a lot more difficult.
Thanks bro! I agree with what you wrote, I've gotten so frustrated here. There are plenty of bar girls to shag, but the normal ones don't speak a lot of English. Yeah, I heard the Phils aren't as good people overall as the Thais, and it's not as nice of a place to live. I see that all the time here in Thailand, of young Thai women dating old retired farang men, and it's blatantly obvious they're being used for their money. I've about given up on trying to find a true Thai love, at least where I live now. But, there's always other places to live! :)
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Post by HESNSC28 »

ladislav wrote:I'd say the Philippines and you can find places that are not as polluted and that have a low crime rate. Google Philippine expat forum and ask there. Also, dunno about the macho thing with Filipino guys- most are very humble and passive.

And there is love there. There is none in Thailand.

Oh, and why did you expect Thais to speak English? Brits do not speak Thai, do they? Thailand is a sovereign nation and you should learn to speak their language ideally. But even then it is kind of useless because culturally they are not compatible.

The Thais are not materialistic because they are Westernized- it is just inherent greed in the culture.

Just go to the Philippines- it has many cities and you can find one that is clean and with a very low crime rate. Bacolod, Davao or Dumaguete, Dipolog are all nice.

You may also try Myanmar.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Phillipines. I don't expect Thais to speak ENG, I know I'm the farang, so I'm not upset they don't speak ENG. I agree, it's just greed in the culture. I think I'd like the PHIL, how are the teaching gigs there? Is the pay decent enough?
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Theres is something about Thais and greed that i havent seen anywhere, Thais would sell their parents for money.
Its interesting as Budhism teaches that meterialism and possesions are evil and cause of suffering

Yes language is important and it cant be stessed enough but still it wouldnt get you far

PH is your best option as they speak the best english and culturaly they are closest to the west minus feminism
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Re: Living in Thailand....Where to go next?

Post by Rocky Top »

HESNSC28 wrote:Hi All,

I am a 28 year old TEFL teacher who taught in Vietnam for a school year and now I am teaching in Thailand (the Isaan area). I am thinking about moving to another country when my contract here ends, preferably Cambodia or Malaysia. I prefer countries with lower costs of living and places where English is spoken more. I say that since where I live now in Thailand, there aren't many Thais who speak English, which has made my dating life difficult. When I used to live in Saigon, it was much easier to find women to date and women who spoke English. But, I found in Vietnam women there were looking to get married quickly. Also, I didn't like SGN since most people had no class or manners, they picked their noses, and there was blatant overcharging for foreigners (I know most countries overcharge foreigners in SE Asia, but there it was more adversarial). I like Thailand since the people are polite and it's a relaxing place to live (outisde the touristy cities), but most women here have become Westernized.

So, now I am torn on whether to stay in Thailand or try another country. Thus, if anyone can give me suggestions on other countries, that would be helpful. I like the politeness/friendliness of the Thai people, but I don't like how the women are becoming more Westernized and materialistic like American women.

Which SE Asian countries have generally friendly people and a good dating scene for foreign men? (I know most countries have the P4P option, but I prefer a "normal" woman to date) (If "normal women exist :roll: )

Thanks! :)
Why did you not bother to learn Vietnamese or Thai while you were living in these places?

The arrogance of some people... expecting the country they live in to conform to their needs/wants.
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Post by HESNSC28 »

Banano wrote:Theres is something about Thais and greed that i havent seen anywhere, Thais would sell their parents for money.
Its interesting as Budhism teaches that meterialism and possesions are evil and cause of suffering

Yes language is important and it cant be stessed enough but still it wouldnt get you far

PH is your best option as they speak the best english and culturaly they are closest to the west minus feminism
Oh yeah, I can see what you mean! True that, about Buddhism. Nice, I'd like to see the Phillipines. Uggh, I can't stand feminists, well, mainly feminazis. :lol:
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Re: Living in Thailand....Where to go next?

Post by HESNSC28 »

quote]Why did you not bother to learn Vietnamese or Thai while you were living in these places?

The arrogance of some people... expecting the country they live in to conform to their needs/wants.[/quote]

You misunderstood my post, I didn't expect them to speak English, and no where in my OP did I say I was upset that they didn't "know my language and speak it fluently." I simply stated that it was unfortunate that we didn't speak the same language, whether it be Thai/Viet/ENG. I know foreigners should learn the language of where they live. But, as shocking as it may be, it's hard to date someone if you don't speak the same language. Also, have you learned an Asian language within 6-9 months? It's not a matter of moving to Vietnam or Thailand and studying for a couple months, then becoming fluent. I don't approve of the type of people who move to a country, live there for years and never bother to even try learning the language, as I feel one should try to acclimate. I do speak some Thai, which isn't bad considering I've only lived here for a number of months.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Just because a nation accepted Buddhism, it does not mean it practices it completely. Same as with Christianity- it can only control people so much.

As far as the Philippines goes, you can find jobs teaching Koreans but they will mostly be in Manila, Cebu or Angeles City. I recommend you teach online and you will make even more money. PM me your email please and I will tell you where to find online jobs. You will make more money on the net than at traditional schools.

When I was in Thailand, I was also yearning to escape from there. At that time there were no Skype schools so I ended up going to Saudi. Now, there are.

PM me for a booklet on how to make a living thru Skype. I was in the Philippines now for 2 years and I was working online. Any native teacher can do that. I will show you how.
You misunderstood my post, I didn't expect them to speak English, and no where in my OP did I say I was upset that they didn't "know my language and speak it fluently." I simply stated that it was unfortunate that we didn't speak the same language, whether it be Thai/Viet/ENG.
If they did, you would not have a job there, would you? Welcome to the world outside of its Hollywood version- 70% do not speak English and many do not even want to. Some see it as a threat to national sovereignty- the way some Americans adamantly refuse the Hispanization of their country. The Philippines is an exception and you can live there speaking only English- Filipinos use English for official purposes- same as Indians or Singaporeans. But if you teach at a school, you will be teaching Koreans mostly. Still it is better to teach online. Russians and Chinese mostly.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
HESNSC28
Freshman Poster

Post by HESNSC28 »

Thanks for the help!! :-)