Study shows Many Foreign Students Are Friendless in the U.S.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Study shows Many Foreign Students Are Friendless in the U.S.

Post by jamesbond »

"More than one in three foreign students in a new survey say they have no close U.S. friends, and many say they wish they had more, and more-meaningful, relationships with Americans.

Students from China and elsewhere in East Asia report fewer friendships and greater dissatisfaction than do other international students.

The study of more than 450 students at 10 public universities in the South and Northeast supports what educators have observed anecdotally: Many students from abroad, and especially the recent influx of undergraduates from China, are struggling to integrate in American classrooms and dorm rooms.

An article on the study, "Intercultural Friendship: Effects of Home and Host Region," was published Thursday in the National Communication Association's Journal of International and Intercultural Communication.

To survey students, Ms. Gareis, who came to the United States as a foreign student, from Germany, reached out to international-student offices at the universities, seeking volunteers to complete an online questionnaire. The participants, who included both graduate and undergraduate students and were evenly split between men and women, were asked to report their number of close American friends.

Although 27 percent said they had three or more close U.S. friends, 38 percent said they had no strong American friendships. Seventeen percent reported one such friend, while 18 percent said they had two.

"I wish they were more open and culturally sensitive," wrote one student of his American classmates.

Another said: "I didn't expect that it is so hard to make friends with Americans. Usually I do not know what to say with them and I guess they do not either."

You can read the full article here:

http://chronicle.com/article/Many-Forei ... nd/132275/
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: Study shows Many Foreign Students Are Friendless in the

Post by S_Parc »

jamesbond wrote:"I wish they were more open and culturally sensitive," wrote one student of his American classmates.

Another said: "I didn't expect that it is so hard to make friends with Americans. Usually I do not know what to say with them and I guess they do not either."[/b]

Here's a hint, the last thing they want is a so-called culturally aware American female, as a friend. I've encountered these *sensitive AWs* and for the most part, they're colonialists, who really see *others* as 2nd class citizens and befriends them, to control them :roll: I believe, part of this stems from prior failed high school attempts, at becoming the leads of student-run organizations and as a result, they troll on other nationalities to help compensate.

At least with a standard American male, who's into gaming, hard rock, sports, and perhaps making mixed drinks, they have a shot at meeting a more authentic normal person than someone, whose goal it is to control others from the developing world.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

S_Parc wrote:
jamesbond wrote:"I wish they were more open and culturally sensitive," wrote one student of his American classmates.

Another said: "I didn't expect that it is so hard to make friends with Americans. Usually I do not know what to say with them and I guess they do not either."[/b]

Here's a hint, the last thing they want is a so-called culturally aware American female, as a friend. I've encountered these *sensitive AWs* and for the most part, they're colonialists, who really see *others* as 2nd class citizens and befriends them, to control them :roll: I believe, part of this stems from prior failed high school attempts, at becoming the leads of student-run organizations and as a result, they troll on other nationalities to help compensate.

At least with a standard American male, who's into gaming, hard rock, sports, and perhaps making mixed drinks, they have a shot at meeting a more authentic normal person than someone, whose goal it is to control others from the developing world.
These foreign students they want to control must be non-white though. And another thing- many ESL teachers from both the US and the UK go to all these foreign countries to do colonization-lite and feel themselves in the center of it ( while they are on a visa in another country, but the illusion feels nice). They also surround themselves with people who want to be colonized ( meaning want to practice English) and learn very little about the country. Most of my coworkers were like that. They hated my guts for learning local languages and trying to " integrate" and many tried to get me fired asap.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

ladislav wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Here's a hint, the last thing they want is a so-called culturally aware American female, as a friend. I've encountered these *sensitive AWs* and for the most part, they're colonialists, who really see *others* as 2nd class citizens and befriends them, to control them :roll: I believe, part of this stems from prior failed high school attempts, at becoming the leads of student-run organizations and as a result, they troll on other nationalities to help compensate.

These foreign students they want to control must be non-white though. And another thing- many ESL teachers from both the US and the UK go to all these foreign countries to do colonization-lite and feel themselves in the center of it ( while they are on a visa in another country, but the illusion feels nice). They also surround themselves with people who want to be colonized ( meaning want to practice English) and learn very little about the country. Most of my coworkers were like that. They hated my guts for learning local languages and trying to " integrate" and many tried to get me fired asap.
Great observations, esp from outside of the States.

At the university, the problem is that these enlightened AWs do spend some time learning foreign languages, mostly to show off that they're *intellectual* but don't respect the non-white international students, as anything other than pets to cart around the States, as a show 'n tell to others. This is something akin a teenager bringing his gadgets to a science fair, to show off his electronics engineering skills.

At least the overseas ESL teachers are more overt bottom-of-the-barrel types, who're carrying the banner of Victoria's British Empire, 100+ years after the fact.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

S_Parc wrote:
ladislav wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Here's a hint, the last thing they want is a so-called culturally aware American female, as a friend. I've encountered these *sensitive AWs* and for the most part, they're colonialists, who really see *others* as 2nd class citizens and befriends them, to control them :roll: I believe, part of this stems from prior failed high school attempts, at becoming the leads of student-run organizations and as a result, they troll on other nationalities to help compensate.

Great observations, esp from outside of the States.

At the university, the problem is that these enlightened AWs do spend some time learning foreign languages, mostly to show off that they're *intellectual* but don't respect the non-white international students, as anything other than pets to cart around the States, as a show 'n tell to others. This is something akin a teenager bringing his gadgets to a science fair, to show off his electronics engineering skills.

At least the overseas ESL teachers are more overt bottom-of-the-barrel types, who're carrying the banner of Victoria's British Empire, 100+ years after the fact.
It's not just "American Women" that ignore the foreign students: American men are just as bad or even worse than their female counterparts; Some have even engaged in hate crimes against foreign students. Also, a lot of American men are incredibly ignorant of other cultures and countries; I'm talking about your typical jock White boy types, rednecks, and rich White suburbanites that hate minorities.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

zboy1 wrote:
S_Parc wrote:At the university, the problem is that these enlightened AWs do spend some time learning foreign languages, mostly to show off that they're *intellectual* but don't respect the non-white international students, as anything other than pets to cart around the States, as a show 'n tell to others. This is something akin a teenager bringing his gadgets to a science fair, to show off his electronics engineering skills.

It's not just "American Women" that ignore the foreign students: American men are just as bad or even worse than their female counterparts; Some have even engaged in hate crimes against foreign students. Also, a lot of American men are incredibly ignorant of other cultures and countries; I'm talking about your typical jock White boy types, rednecks, and rich White suburbanites that hate minorities.
Hate crimes are a totally different story. Those are the enemies which one can see, in broad daylight.

If anything, many racist suburban whites will simply ignore non-white international students & pretend that they don't exist. In effect, they've conscripted a self-styled Apartheid in terms of their campus life.

The AWs, who aspire towards this pseudo-intellectual faux worldly person, however, are the snakes in the grass. I'll give you an example... an AW college co-ed, who'd studied a melange of languages including Mandarin, Vietnamese, Arabic, & Spanish pretended to blend into Asian diasporas. One of her so-called *proteges* was a Southeast Asian girl who was allegedly *culturally trained* by her, call it the "Doorway to America". Well, as soon as this SAE girl started dating men, better looking than the ones which the so-called AW friend could get, the AW started telling everyone that the girl was a slut, an Asian pro.stitute [ alleging that one of the rich guys on campus *bought her services* ], and all kinds of unsavory rumors like academic dishonesty, etc, to beat out her so-called best friend in the world of worthiness.

At least an overt racist would have never spoken to the Asian girl and let her go her own way. Instead, this girl's first foray into western social circles was poisoned by an AW. And worse of all, one who pretended to be her friend. The rule in Machiavelli is to never outshine your Master. The fact that the AW, saw herself as one, is twisted.

AB discussion thread

pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

The media portrayal of foreigners in the US media doesn't help. The immediate thought that enters my mind is the movie Sixteen Candles. The foreign exchange student is named Long Duck Dong. Althought the movie is pretty funny, the humor is definitely at the expense of the funny foreigner that doesn't fit in with the rest of the American world. These anti-foreign images linger and are difficult to dispel.

I remember when I was going to college, most of the foreign students lived in foreign dorms. There wasn't much of an effort to integrate them in with the American students.

I've come to the conclusion that Americans are some of the most xenophobic people on the planet. Very few of us ever aim to travel abroad. They'll save up $4000 in order to go to Vegas and gamble (what a joke). Instead they could go visit anywhere on the planet and soak up some culture and variety for the same amount of money....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

pete98146 wrote:The media portrayal of foreigners in the US media doesn't help. The immediate thought that enters my mind is the movie Sixteen Candles. The foreign exchange student is named Long Duck Dong. Althought the movie is pretty funny, the humor is definitely at the expense of the funny foreigner that doesn't fit in with the rest of the American world. These anti-foreign images linger and are difficult to dispel.

I remember when I was going to college, most of the foreign students lived in foreign dorms. There wasn't much of an effort to integrate them in with the American students.

I've come to the conclusion that Americans are some of the most xenophobic people on the planet. Very few of us ever aim to travel abroad. They'll save up $4000 in order to go to Vegas and gamble (what a joke). Instead they could go visit anywhere on the planet and soak up some culture and variety for the same amount of money....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It's so sad how most americans believe that America is the center of the universe and that there is nothing out there. It's true they rather save money only to blow it off in Vegas and not even dare to see the world and fill themselves with some knowledge and culture from other countries which is something our narcissistic society completely lacks.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Here's the scene from Sixteen Candles. They have barely met the foreign exchange student and they are already treating him like a lepar.

The young kid says, "just make sure to burn the sheets and mattress after he leaves." That's disturbing...

Last edited by pete98146 on February 13th, 2013, 1:33 pm, edited 10 times in total.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

You have to click the youtube button twice pete. It'll make a second block like this:

[/youtube]

That goes after the link. There should be no spaces between the blocks and the link.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

abcdavid01 wrote:You have to click the youtube button twice pete. It'll make a second block like this:

[/youtube]

That goes after the link. There should be no spaces between the blocks and the link.
Thanks David!!!!!!!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

ladislav wrote:
S_Parc wrote:

Which countries did the crabs-in-the-barrel try to get you fired?
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

S_Parc wrote:.....At least the overseas ESL teachers are more overt bottom-of-the-barrel types, who're carrying the banner of Victoria's British Empire, 100+ years after the fact.
Man o' man. Let me tell ya! I had an ARDUOUS time trying to get into one particular ESL school in Bogotá, CO and one in VT (Viet Nam)....and they both had White female ESL feminist c.unts ooops I mean teachers.

I was required to give a demonstration to a class on how to teach English to a class of Colombian students that spoke no English whatsoever. A Canadian female ESL teacher was one of the members of the panel.

After two minutes into my demonstration, I was rudely interrupted by she like the following, "Hey there! You just said the word "ain't"!"

I had exclaimed, "There's no way I had said that word. That word is a colloquialism which is not acceptable in the classroom."

"Yeah I agree that it does not belong in the classroom, but you said the word "ain't".

(Still calm and collective)
"I"m telling you that I had not said such a word. I have been very proper all this time."

So the bilingual Colombian owner of the ESL school said, "Basta ya ustedes." (Enough already, guys). I had continued and finished the demonstration 20 minutes later.

So the next day, he asked me to come into his office and had a "heart-to-heart" with me. You guys guessed it: they said they had no positions available at that time, but they agreed they would call me if and when a position became available. *Yeah GTFOH! (in my mind I had thought that!)*

That b.itch sabotaged my chance of becoming an ESL teacher at that particular school.

Then another time I had a phone screen with a school in Viet Nam while I was living in a condo in Quezon City, Metro-Manila area. In Asia, ESL schools require a passport-like update-to-date photo and since she saw I wasn't White and that I was a man, what sounded like a White American woman, was conversing with me in a condescending snobby voice. My mother passed away 4 months earlier, and she knew that from a question on the application that had asked me about the living status of my parents. So this ratchet b.itch had said, "I don't know if I should hire you. I don't want you breaking down in the middle of the classroom over your mother!" Isn't that some cold s.hit, fellas?

I also thought she was testing me to see if I were to lose my cool, which I hadn't.

So she and I had wrapped up the phone screen.

Two hours later in the email, I had been sent a rejection later that "I wasn't a good fit for the position.".

White Anglosphere women are straight up and down a.ssholes even abroad. I might lividly beat one down one day in a patriarchal country that doesn't have police at every corner. I'm so pensive. LOL
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I am born and raised in America and I have no friends or strong relationships. Americans aren't open and they are cliquish. That's why I became a commuting student because I hated being alone on campus when everyone was texting, hanging out with their clique, or showing public displays of affection. I couldn't stand it because that is toxic to the psyche.