Updates from Winston's Return to the Philippines!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

noog wrote:
Winston wrote:Hi all,
I'm in the Philippines now. Wow its amazing. People are so relaxed and easygoing. I can compliment any girl I want without feeling like a creep. It's so great to be around normal natural people again. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders. It's so refreshing. The difference from Taiwan is absolutely amazing. Beyond words. So surreal. The vibe here really soothes your soul. I'm in culture shock right now but in a positive way of course. I'm still in awe and taking it all in.

Also my son has really changed a lot. He no longer complains or behaves badly. He is very quiet and well behaved now. Like a different person. Quite amazing. I thought he'd never change.

Anyway tomorrow I'll probably meet up with Rock and Ginger. Talk to you all later.

I'm typing this from my android so it's taking a long time. I didn't bring my laptop with me.

Nice to hear you are happier and enjoying the Phillipines Winston. I'm also glad you got to see your son and hope you continue to bond with him, you won't regret it.
Indeed.

A thing is the sum of its deeds. Colors are the deeds of light.
-Goethe

Children are the deeds of men.
-Jester
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

ladislav wrote:When in the Philippines remember that you are in an ancient Hindu kingdom with a veneer of Christianity and American-ness and Spain-ness covering it as a foil wrap that covers a delicious turkey. It takes time to figure it out. The true culture is subtle and implied. When you learn Tagalog, you will see that people there operate on a totally different plane of existence and have totally different values.
I really think you're romanticizing this. I totally concede that you know far more about the Phils than I do because you lived there and was only there for 18 days. But Hindu? I've been to India and I also lived in a South Asian ghetto in England for over ten years. I know something of how that culture feels, and I detected none of it in PI.

Are cows sacred there? Where are the vegetarians? Who's reading the Upanishads? Arranged marriages? Pilgrimage? The Caste system? Kindly take a look through these characteristics of Hinduism:
http://www.religiousportal.com/beliefsp ... stics.html
Which of those are commonplace in the Philippines?

Those kids queueing up at McD's and Burger King are thinly-veiled Hindus? With their love of all things American? If they have totally different values from us then why are they so keen to worship at temples of consumerism, and bow before the Gods Ayala, SM and Gaisano?

Why do so many Indians lament about being discriminated against by Filipinos, if they are close cousins?

The Spanish were in charge for 300 years. Three centuries of Catholic indoctrination, the effects of which were impressively evident when I went to the hugely-crowded Santo Nino church in Cebu. Those Hindus sure love Mary and Jesus!

Hell, you may as well say that England is still a Catholic country, even though the Reformation took place in the 16th C. But English culture is not Catholic and feels substantially different from Spain, Italy, Mexico and even France.

I'm not saying there is no trace at all of Hinduism in Filipino culture, but I think you're way overstating it.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

So Winston lusts after white legged Chinese ladies all year... then goes to the Phillies?

Man, I don't get it.

Still, it's nice he can visit his son... a son really needs his baba to keep him on the right path.

Also it's not too hard to get a visa to stay in the Phillies for a while, whereas it's a pain in the ass in China.

And while there are some incredibly hot women here, don't think they want to date us overweight older dudes! Still, you can oggle them here for free.

Where are you guys hanging out in the Phillies anyway? My China residency plan is rocking a bit, so I might have to bail out and come back in again. If I do then the Phillies are probably the best option for me to do a visa run. I've got a friend in Manila so that could be a good place for me to head to. Also I guess the Chinese have an embassy there.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

winston, don´t get lost in tabalog. think of the 14 point why....
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Please stay away from hooker-bars, they do you more harm than good

Is your ex still single or ?

You got to teach your son 'HA philosophy'- path to enlightment,

He needs to memorize 137 points why TW sucks and how PH rocks cause of easy access to youg and cheap p***y
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Good to see you happy abroad again Winston and to be back where you feel truly happy. After all, that's what matters. However, please stay the hell away from AC and instead go to a nicer, cleaner, more healthier environment. Cebu and Davao would be THE ideal place, specially Davao. You'd meet real Pinoys, real middle class sweeties, not bar girls. Sure, stay in AC for a week or two to have some fun, but don't live there! Go live in Davao and you will see a totally different Philippines and a totally different experience altogether to what you've been seeing so far in AC.

Good luck man!
WiseTruth
Freshman Poster

Post by WiseTruth »

Banano wrote:Please stay away from hooker-bars,
Fat chance (no pun BTW, LOL :lol:)

Jacaré wrote:Good to see you happy abroad again Winston and to be back where you feel truly happy. After all, that's what matters. However, please stay the hell away from AC

Too late. His son and GF are there, so he's definitely there.

He's going to go on a tear in the go-go bars, and then report: 'MY LOVE LIFE HAS IMPROVED MASSIVELY BY TEN TRILLION PERCENT!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! I'M A ROCK STAR HERE!!!!!'
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Guys, take it easy, he's not in Angeles, he's in Manila. And they got rid of his place not far from Fields strip when he went to Taiwan. Dianne lives much further away from it in Pampanga. We all met up last nite at Greenbelt for like 6 hours and had a blast. Winston is quite entertaining. He even chatted up a local celeb - told her he used to be an actor in States and is now a writer and handed her a sheet full of testimonials about why he's the most freethinking Asian on the planet. We snapped some photos w/her.

Dianne looks great, better than before. But Winston has put on some weight. I took a close-up photo of them and Winston said it was ok if I put it under a thread titled "Beauty and the Beast" lol.

Angelo is so cool, never bored, happy, well behaved and knows how to create his own vivid world. 6 hours of hanging out with distracted adults and showed no hint of being bored.

Xiongmao, Winston does not have visa problems for China like u. He's Taiwanese and has a Taibao Zhen. And he got a Cebu Pacific Ticket from Manila to China (forgot city) leaving early May for just US$25 total, much cheaper than flying direct from Taiwan, even when u add price of flight from Taipei to Manila (also Cebu Pacific).

On bus w wifi so and hard to type so hope this post does not have too many mistakes.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Twobrains wrote:
ladislav wrote:When in the Philippines remember that you are in an ancient Hindu kingdom with a veneer of Christianity and American-ness and Spain-ness covering it as a foil wrap that covers a delicious turkey. It takes time to figure it out. The true culture is subtle and implied. When you learn Tagalog, you will see that people there operate on a totally different plane of existence and have totally different values.
I really think you're romanticizing this. I totally concede that you know far more about the Phils than I do because you lived there and was only there for 18 days. But Hindu? I've been to India and I also lived in a South Asian ghetto in England for over ten years. I know something of how that culture feels, and I detected none of it in PI.

Are cows sacred there? Where are the vegetarians? Who's reading the Upanishads? Arranged marriages? Pilgrimage? The Caste system? Kindly take a look through these characteristics of Hinduism:
http://www.religiousportal.com/beliefsp ... stics.html
Which of those are commonplace in the Philippines?

Those kids queueing up at McD's and Burger King are thinly-veiled Hindus? With their love of all things American? If they have totally different values from us then why are they so keen to worship at temples of consumerism, and bow before the Gods Ayala, SM and Gaisano?

Why do so many Indians lament about being discriminated against by Filipinos, if they are close cousins?

The Spanish were in charge for 300 years. Three centuries of Catholic indoctrination, the effects of which were impressively evident when I went to the hugely-crowded Santo Nino church in Cebu. Those Hindus sure love Mary and Jesus!

Hell, you may as well say that England is still a Catholic country, even though the Reformation took place in the 16th C. But English culture is not Catholic and feels substantially different from Spain, Italy, Mexico and even France.

I'm not saying there is no trace at all of Hinduism in Filipino culture, but I think you're way overstating it.
Hindu traces? Yes. I see that. But it is not some dominant theme. The "culturally Catholic" instinct is far greater., combined with "whatever works at the moment" Yes..I think that would be romanticizing..but Lad has picked up on something that does exist...certain Characteristics that are could be traced to...hmmm...who would be the dominant minority within the Philippines? Is is Hindu or is it Buddhist? Well of course, there is some overlap there in nature.

I will have to think about this...hmmm..actually not. I will go out and putt around a mango grove and see how things are shaping up...That's it! Mangoes are the unifying life force that sublimely unites all Filipinos! Now THAT I can believe.....LOL

Outwest
Misamis Oriental, Mindanao
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Wow, is Winston coming here? I'm in Guangzhou until July 3, then anyone coming here after that is just plain crazy as it gets insanely hot!!!

I'm then back in September for at least another 5 months.

If Winston is coming to China in May then I'll have my residency permit by then so no probs me getting a train over to another city.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It is not easy to see. But if you stay there for a decade and deal with people on all level and see how they act, how their attitude to things is and you will see what I mean. It is hidden and it took me decades to figure out.
Are cows sacred there...
What I mean is that deep inside Filipinos are just like the Malay race in Bali, not necessarily as the ones in India. And this stands to reason because all of that area used to be Hindu, not necessarily Indian Hindu, but Malay Hindu and for thousands of years.
Surface things. I saw the same thing when I first arrived and after three weeks, I , just like you thought I got the place figured out and the people figured out as well. The ancient Kingdoms of Luzon were all Hindu. For millenia. But it was erased on purpose. Dig deeper and you will see. You will need to spend a decade dealing with Filipinos in their languages to understand and feel it. Watch those kids behaviors over a long time and you will realize that.
For the same reason Poles are treated like shit in Ireland. This is a totally different topic.
Again, surface stuff. Think of the Philippines as a cake. You have the American icing, a Spanish cream on top and then the deep Hindu Malay body of the cake which is not seen- you need to cut it to see it. Cutting it involves learning the language fluently to the point where you can think in it and read literature in it. When you do that and spend a decade or two among them, you will agree.
Hell, you may as well say that England is still a Catholic country, even though the Reformation took place in the 16th C. But English culture is not Catholic and
There may be a substantial remnant of it in the Anglican rites and the way people act. But again I cannot comment because I did not live in it.
feels substantially different from Spain, Italy, Mexico and even France.
The above are Latin countries and may also feel differently because of the Latin flavor, not necessarily because of Catholicism. Does England feel substantially different from the Catholic Ireland or Austria?

Again, this is all based on subjective perceptions and I can only share mine.

I'm not saying there is no trace at all of Hinduism in Filipino culture, but I think you're way overstating it
Trace is a broad term. Their whole culture is implicitly Hindu. But again, this is based on my perception over decades. If you lived there that long and spoke to them in their languages, you would see that. Also you spent time in the UK among S Asians. Those are not real ones. I have been with the untouchables in India and spent time in their villages. They do feel very similar to Visayan villages in the Philippines in the way people act in their natural environment, not as British subjects living in the UK and speaking English.

Again, you will need a decade or two to see how deeply it runs.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Rock wrote:Guys, take it easy, he's not in Angeles, he's in Manila. And they got rid of his place not far from Fields strip when he went to Taiwan. Dianne lives much further away from it in Pampanga. We all met up last nite at Greenbelt for like 6 hours and had a blast. Winston is quite entertaining. He even chatted up a local celeb - told her he used to be an actor in States and is now a writer and handed her a sheet full of testimonials about why he's the most freethinking Asian on the planet. We snapped some photos w/her.

Dianne looks great, better than before. But Winston has put on some weight. I took a close-up photo of them and Winston said it was ok if I put it under a thread titled "Beauty and the Beast" lol.

Angelo is so cool, never bored, happy, well behaved and knows how to create his own vivid world. 6 hours of hanging out with distracted adults and showed no hint of being bored.

Xiongmao, Winston does not have visa problems for China like u. He's Taiwanese and has a Taibao Zhen. And he got a Cebu Pacific Ticket from Manila to China (forgot city) leaving early May for just US$25 total, much cheaper than flying direct from Taiwan, even when u add price of flight from Taipei to Manila (also Cebu Pacific).

On bus w wifi so and hard to type so hope this post does not have too many mistakes.
Did Diane finally thicken up in the right places? lol
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

Ladislav, I believe you're sincere in your belief, but you haven't described one present-day behaviour that would indicate a substantial Hindu bedrock to PI society. What exactly is it that you have managed to detect, in practical terms? How does that affect how we should deal with Filipinos on a day-to-day basis?

This is not just academic for me because my next destination may well be Malaysia, so I'd like to know what parallels to look out for, in *practical* terms. I don't have two decades to figure it out.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Post by Dark_Sol »

Wait, so how many guys on here live in the Philippines? Maybe I should visit there and hang with you guys. Also, I've been reading that Davao is a nice cheap place to live.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

If anyone wants to meet up at Davao I'll be there tomorrow til Friday then back at Manila on Friday night.

I'm jealous of Ginger talking with Winston on the phone and Rock meeting him for the nth time, how come I don't know when meet ups are happening its time for me to up my posts stalking skills lol.