Decline of American TV

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Decline of American TV

Post by zacb »

Have you noticed how most US tv has gotten really crappy as of late? Even the History Channel, which seems like a decent channel, seems like a bunch of reality tv show. The only reason I liked cable was because of CNBC and sports. But now that Roku has both, I don't regret cutting the cord. Plus they have netflix and Crackle, which has some classic programming like All in the Family and Sanford and Son, along with the Three Stooges. To me Roku is a Godsend. As of right now I can't use it, since I am staying at someone else house, but I would say it is defiantly a good investment. It also has a lot of live broadcasts like Al Jazeera and RT. I also tend to use movie2k to watch movies and shows , but before I used torrents, before I got a dcma notice.

Anyways though, I just think the quality has been declining as of late. Even as a kid, I used to watch a lot of tv, and it seemed like they were decently produced. You had Rescue Heroes, cartoons based on video games, along with all the classics. Now What do you have? FlapJack and Adventure Time. Or even for newer tv, what do you have? A bunch of detective shows. About the only show as of late that looks interesting is 24 (not running any more) and Southpark. Maybe I am getting old, but I just think the dumbing down of America is on course.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I do agree with you that most television is not worth watching now. I actually think it was in the mid-late 1990s to present that television has gone down hill in terms of programming. Reality TV, police shows, and horrible daytime tv shows. I used to watch some good TV such as sci-fi shows that were well produced and some suspense-TV shows. Now, I watch some shows because of actors I know but really not as much as I used too.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Same. I came of age in the 90's and earlier 2000's . Honestly, I look back and think to myself that I actually like the stuff from the 80's and 90's better. I guess one less expense.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Decline of US tv.

Post by zboy1 »

zacb wrote:Have you noticed how most US tv has gotten really crappy as of late? Even the History Channel, which seems like a decent channel, seems like a bunch of reality tv show. The only reason I liked cable was because of CNBC and sports. But now that Roku has both, I don't regret cutting the cord. Plus they have netflix and Crackle, which has some classic programming like All in the Family and Sanford and Son, along with the Three Stooges. To me Roku is a Godsend. As of right now I can't use it, since I am staying at someone else house, but I would say it is defiantly a good investment. It also has a lot of live broadcasts like Al Jazeera and RT. I also tend to use movie2k to watch movies and shows , but before I used torrents, before I got a dcma notice.

Anyways though, I just think the quality has been declining as of late. Even as a kid, I used to watch a lot of tv, and it seemed like they were decently produced. You had Rescue Heroes, cartoons based on video games, along with all the classics. Now What do you have? FlapJack and Adventure Time. Or even for newer tv, what do you have? A bunch of detective shows. About the only show as of late that looks interesting is 24 (not running any more) and Southpark. Maybe I am getting old, but I just think the dumbing down of America is on course.
You needed cable TV to find good shows this decade: Walking Dead, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.

I miss the Wire (greatest show in the past decade)

The Wire Season 1 Recap

THE WIRE - 100 Greatest Quotes

As for network TV, the only shows I watch (or watched) with any regularity was Hawaii 5-0, Lost, and Pan Am (sadly cancelled :( ).
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

What zboy said. Also, The Following is pretty good. You must be nuts because Adventure Time is amazing. The whole thing takes place after a post apocalyptic war. How dark is that?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I guess I don't like the randomness. Yes you could argue shows like Ed, Ed, and Eddy were somewhat random, but it just seems like that is a good chunk of what is on.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

zacb wrote:Have you noticed how most US tv has gotten really crappy as of late? Even the History Channel, which seems like a decent channel, seems like a bunch of reality tv show. The only reason I liked cable was because of CNBC and sports. But now that Roku has both, I don't regret cutting the cord. Plus they have netflix and Crackle, which has some classic programming like All in the Family and Sanford and Son, along with the Three Stooges. To me Roku is a Godsend. As of right now I can't use it, since I am staying at someone else house, but I would say it is defiantly a good investment. It also has a lot of live broadcasts like Al Jazeera and RT. I also tend to use movie2k to watch movies and shows , but before I used torrents, before I got a dcma notice.

They have a lot of detective shows because they want their viewers to become impromptu deputized agents for the government (as if those viewers were real-life detectives), and to implore fear of what the government would do the viewer if he or she were to commit that crime. They want human manned drones, and artificial unmanned drones: the programming is blatantly obvious.

By the way, Zacb you know that you like Logo TV. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *psych* I was just kidding, dude.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

E_Irizarry wrote: They have a lot of detective shows because they want their viewers to become impromptu deputized agents for the government (as if those viewers were real-life detectives), and to implore fear of what the government would do the viewer if he or she were to commit that crime. They want human manned drones, and artificial unmanned drones: the programming is blatantly obvious.
+1
HenryGeorge
Freshman Poster

Post by HenryGeorge »

Even the movies from back then were better too.
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

I don't watch much TV at all, literally all the TV I have seen in the last month has been watching a basketball game every now and then. And when I do, I see so many of these ads depicting Americans as a bunch of redneck lemmings that can't live 5 minutes without their TV programs. I find these stereotypes disgusting and I'm sure the cable/dish/direct whatever conglomerates are laughing all the way to the bank -

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7d__/dish-hopper-anywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2seQ8bUmaQ
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

When I watch news channels I get a nonstop stream of ads about loathsome diseases, or about prescription drugs with loathsome side effects, or about lawsuits for damages stemming from loathsome diseases.

I feel like they are selling me the disease, and won't be satisfied till I buy. Until then, I am only a prospect, not a customer.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

I agree with this. I'll sit there and think, what's on TV tonite, and all i'll see are reality shows.

Not a single produced show. And yes, since Law & Order was a consistently good show, they just took a successful formula and multiplied it a million times.

I saw a few decent shows on paid channels a few years ago, but i no longer have paid channels.

Shameless on showtime is a decent show. Californication was good the first few seasons.

I actually remember people in the 90's who would actually go home on Sunday nights, and would stop hanging out, just to watch the X-Files. Now that was a decent show worth watching.

However, i do have to agree that the better shows have gotten better, though. Production values are higher, but it's surprising how good shows can't seem to be made anymore. And the shows are just getting wackier and wackier. They think that's what successful is. modern family? 3 guys with kids?
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Actually shows like The Following is good but it seems really dark to me. There are a lot of police shows now that is really annoying. Production value is better but I guess some the originality was good 20 years ago. Shows are getting wackier and lack of a good plot. It is similar to movies as it seems you have decent shows but movies are borrowing to much and not having original ideas.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

The only thing I watch on TV now is the UFC (and even that's starting to get stale.) I foresee a wide open space in my living room where my TV used to be in the not too distant future.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

The only thing I watch on TV now is the UFC (and even that's starting to get stale.) I foresee a wide open space in my living room where my TV used to be in the not too distant future.
Perhaps you could get roku.