Do White guys have it better overseas compared to Asian men?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Do White guys have it better overseas compared to Asian men?

Post by chanta76 »

I'm Asian male and well in the states dating is tough. I think race does play a role in it. As an Asian man I have to deal with bigotry in the dating world so it is tough.

However, reading how Europe is like for Asian men it does not look that much better.So the grass is greener on the other side does not hold.

I figure Asia will be the place for an Asian men but I hear stories that in some places that local Asian girls prefer western (in this case white guys) over Asian men.

I don't think all local Asian women will feel this way but I feel that white guys do have this advantage. Am I wrong in this view point?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I think your view is a bit distorted.

First of all, many Asian men report better success in Europe.

Second, I don't know of any Asian country where the MAJORITY of women there prefer white guys. Read the thread in the Asia and The Philippines board of this forum, where momopi explains the demand and supply thing.

viewtopic.php?t=2984

White guys in Asia are a minority and Asian women who prefer white guys are a minority too, but there is enough of them for the white guys.

But it depends on what country you go to. From what I know, Philippines and Thailand have the best dating scene for Asian foreign men. The other Asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea are more cliquish and it takes more time to meet women.

I hear China is very wild and lots of girls to choose from that are very open and easy though.
Last edited by Winston on April 18th, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

In some parts of Asia, if you're going to certain bars where working girls are actively looking for western tourists/businessmen to part their $, you shouldn't always expect a great reception if you're Asian Male. But don't feel bad, I've seen such a place on Orchard Rd in Singapore, and I could swear some of the "girls" are actually men. ;)

As far as I know there are no Asian country where the majority of locals prefer to marry foreigners. In the US, of all Asian American ethnicities, the 2 groups where Asian Females are more likely to marry Whites instead of Asians is Filipino's and Koreans. If you're not from either of these 2 ethnic groups, I'd agree with Winston that your views might be a bit distorted.

China today is like Taiwan in my parent's generation. If you're a single man staying in a hotel at one of China's many coastal boom towns, you might be getting a knock or call offering "special services". When I was in Beijing last year, my (ex?) GF refused to allow me to book a room by myself ahead, she made sure that her name was on the room registry before she flew in from HK. LoL.

Perhaps if you could tell us a bit more about yourself? Your background, are you in school, where you hope to be, etc. If you're currently in college and feeling frustrated, by all means, take a vacation and go have fun. But I wouldn't recommend quitting school to move overseas, unless if you have the entrepreneur's drive like Michael Dell.

But yeah, I hear ya, it can be a tough gig being a young AM in America. Back in college, when I dated a WF, my AF friends from school turned hostile ("what, we not good enough for you anymore?"). Yet they think it's OK to date whoever they want, and if I even mumble 1 complaint, they think I'm a racist. LoL. Girls are vicious and don't like competition. If the relationship with Mr. X doesn't work out they want the option to go back to Mr. Y or Mr. Z. Or maybe they were just having fun with Mr. X and want backups. There's no logic to this, it's just self-interest. Sometimes you just gotta do what's best for you and not for someone else.
DarkTalay
Freshman Poster

Deleted by poster!

Post by DarkTalay »

Deleted by poster!
Last edited by DarkTalay on June 21st, 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hey that sounds good! I am a white male here in America and I am thinking about traveling to the Ukraine and meet some of those hotties over there! Sounds like you have had experiences with your typical American females. The dating scene over seas is a million times better than it is here in the US, that's for sure! :D
Merlin
Freshman Poster

Post by Merlin »

A lot of Thai girls are learning Japanese now, and turning up their noses at Western guys. It's not a race thing - the Japanese are bigger spenders.

That said, there are still plenty of Thai girls who prefer Western guys, perhaps because the Japanese are very unlikely to enter into a relationship with a massage parlor/bar girl whereas Western guys typically do.

It's an advantage in Thailand to be white, and a disadvantage to be darker complected - to look black, or even Indian or Arab. Although I heard that a bar in Soi Cowboy, in Bangkok, was playing Indian music for its Indian patrons recently, and I've seen Indian guys getting an OK reception in bars.

Asian Americans would do OK, I think, and I've seen a couple of black guys who looked quite happy. In fact, now that I think about it, Soi Cowboy was named after a black American bar owner who used to wear a cowboy hat. Thais are racist though, , so there are probably better places for black Americans to go, like France, or Germany, or Sweden etc. where they'd be equal to or have an advantage over lighter guys.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Overseas is a big place. If you want a simplistic explanation in American terms, well, maybe this is it:

Asian guys are well received supposedly in these countries:
Thailand-they like all Oriental looking people. White guys are not too popular. Lived there for a long time and observed many things.
Brazil
France
The Baltic Countries and possibly Belarus.
Central Asian- Kyrgystan/Kazakhstan.
Philippines.
Vietnam, Cambodia- any Oriental looking guy will be welcome.
Indonesia- again a heaven on earth supposedly.

White guys- Russia and neighboring countries.
Colombia,
Panama
Paraguay
Brazil
Philippines.
Japan ( if you are rich, handsome and blond)

Do keep in mind a very VERY important thing:

Dividing people into simplistic races is not a universal thing. For example, Korea and Japan do not divide people into races as much as they divide them into Japanese and non Japanese, Koreans and non Koreans. This White/Asian/Hispanic etc. division is more of a simplistic US taxonomy and is not necessarily transferable to other countries. Sometimes, it is applicable and sometimes it is not. In Europe/Asia people often divide themselves by ethnicity, not race. Russians and Germans do not like each other. Ukrainians have grudge against Poles. It would be easier for a Korean to marry a Ukrainian than for a Pole. The Japanese do not like other Asians that much and would prefer other Japanese and maybe whites if no desirable Japanese are available. Hispanic countries do not care much about race as about how well you speak the language and how much money you have. In Arab countries race maters less than again the language you speak or the religion you practice. Arab men have been marrying non Arabs for millenia. As long as these were Muslims. And Muslim foreigners ( converts) will marry locals if they convert to Islam. No problemo! Any race except too poor and too black.
Darker and poorer peoples and groups have it harder than lighter and richer ones but even then, not always.

Note: above mentioned experiences in tourist areas of Bangkok do not represent Thailand and Thai culture. Whites will sometimes be kicked out of Orientals- only bars and even Mexicans and Filipinos will be allowed in. Same I have heard is the case in VN. Sometimes it pays not to stick out.

In the Philippines ( and many other former Spanish colonies) there is no racial ideology as in Japan, Germany or Korea. Any race who acts and speaks like a Filipino ( the local language that is, not necessarily Tagalog) will be mostly treated as a local. Yeah, you look different, but once people get to know you and figure out you act like them, you are largely in. I have heard people ask me- Are you Filipino now? Are you a Visayan? when I spoke local languages. People did not grow up believing in the supremacy of some kind of race. A very refreshing experience after the ethnic fundamentalism in Japan.

If you follow the above table though, you should be OK. Particularly VN is a very good place to find small, cute ladies for Asian men. Right now there are millions of such ladies looking for someone like you. You just need to make the move. Leave America for a while, stay in all the countries in the first list for a bit of time and see for yourself.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Ladislav, I know you're not really interested in a long term relationship with a woman and have a preference for Filipinos, but do you have a particular bias against Russian or Eastern European woman as you are originally from there? I don't read much that you enjoy their company as much as you do SE Asians like Filipinos. In your opinion who would make a better GF or wife other than Filipinos: A woman from Russia/Eastern Europe or a Latin American woman from central or South America?

I don't particularly care for getting into relationships with Filipinos much, but I think its due to my personality being 180 degrees different from theirs.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
James G
Freshman Poster
Location: Virginia, USA – Jakarta, Indonesia – Bangkok, Thailand

Re: Do White guys have it better over seas compared Asian

Post by James G »

I am an Asian American guy who has lived overseas for almost 10 years.
chanta76 wrote:
However, reading how Europe is like for Asian men it does not look that much better. So the grass is greener on the other side does not hold.
European women like Asian men (excluding British women), ESPECIALLY in France. I lived in Paris for a wile, before I moved there another Asian American buddy of mine who did a semester in Paris told me that the French ladies love Asian Guys. Almost every French lady I approached was way cool with me and was open to meeting up later, and I was regularly approached at clubs by cute French women. A French cop in uniform even asked for my number after approaching me on the street, we dated for a few months.
chanta76 wrote: I figure Asia will be the place for an Asian men but I hear stories that in some places that local Asian girls prefer western (in this case white guys) over Asian men.

I don't think all local Asian women will feel this way but I feel that white guys do have this advantage. Am I wrong in this view point?
Asia is a great place for foreign Asian guys, probably better than other regions.

A small group of Asian women (mostly in Southeast Asia) do prefer white foreign men, these tend to be the uneducated lower class women, whores and village girls that still think every foreign white guy is a billionaire and some upper-class ladies who think it is “trendy� to have a white businessman boyfriend.

But generally speaking being a foreign Asian in Asia is an advantage. In places like Bangkok where the middle and upper class ladies wouldn’t be caught dead in public with a white foreigner (because they don’t want people to think they are whores). Foreign Asian guys tend to do allot better with the local women, especially the better looking and more educated ladies.

But like anywhere else in the world if you want Quality over Quantity you have to have a little game. Or you can just bang whores, ether way works, lol

P.S. Good to meet another traveling Asian brother

~James G
NOMAD MARKETING 101
Learn how to Travel and Live Around the World and Make Money at the Same time
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Ladislav, I know you're not really interested in a long term relationship with a woman and have a preference for Filipinos, but do you have a particular bias against Russian or Eastern European woman as you are originally from there?
When I was young I could not go back there because I could have been arrested. Political problems of sorts, you see. So, by the time the curtain fell and the whole RW/AM thing started I was some 38 years old. And I was already so much into the Philippines that women from there no longer interested me. Once you go brown...Another thing is:

I am too short for them- 5'7" and I get no respect. In the Philippines I fit in better plus, you know, if I fall in love with a Russian woman, what am I gonna do with her? Bring her to the US? It is 100 times easier for a Filipina to fit in here than for a Russian. Plus I do not like living in the US long term and have a family there. And I feel a Russian speaking girl will be discriminated against in America. Not a Filipina, though.
I don't read much that you enjoy their company as much as you do SE Asians like Filipinos.
Well, I do not think I would appeal to them .Too short too fat too old too ugly. But Filipinas like me.
In your opinion who would make a better GF or wife other than Filipinos: A woman from Russia/Eastern Europe or a Latin American woman from central or South America?
I would say a Latina because of the heavy Catholicism. You can get a Russian girl who is nice but from the countryside and religious for the family to work out. But again, the question is where are you going to live? In Russia? In Ukraine?
I don't particularly care for getting into relationships with Filipinos much, but I think its due to my personality being 180 degrees different from theirs.
Exactly. Country Ukrainians could be good girls for you. Silent, reserved. Stoic. But if you do not fit in with Filipinas how would you expect to fit in with Latinas? These are even more extrovert.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Do White guys have it better over seas compared Asian

Post by ladislav »

Asia is a great place for foreign Asian guys, probably better than other regions.

A small group of Asian women (mostly in Southeast Asia) do prefer white foreign men, these tend to be the uneducated lower class women, whores and village girls that still think every foreign white guy is a billionaire and some upper-class ladies who think it is “trendy� to have a white businessman boyfriend.

But generally speaking being a foreign Asian in Asia is an advantage. In places like Bangkok where the middle and upper class ladies wouldn’t be caught dead in public with a white foreigner (because they don’t want people to think they are whores). Foreign Asian guys tend to do allot better with the local women, especially the better looking and more educated ladies.

But like anywhere else in the world if you want Quality over Quantity you have to have a little game. Or you can just bang whores, ether way works, lol

P.S. Good to meet another traveling Asian brother
Thailand is a great country for Asian men from the West to have their revenge and gloat while being able to date local girls while the same local girls would be running away from white guys screaming FARANG!!! FARANG!!! ( Whitey! Whitey!) So you can enjoy some schadenfreude

Thailand was never colonized and has a Pan Asianist complex. People there have been led to believe that they are some kind of master race that has been entrusted with the mission to oppose the evil FARANG imperialism. They even have anti-white commercials on TV. And many bars would not let you in.
These are for Oriental people only. So, go ahead and gloat, guys.

In places in Thailand where people are not ethnically Thai it seems to be better, though. Khmers in the East are very nice and friendly.

Have never been to VN so I would not know. I assume it is still better to be Asian there than white.

In Japan, however, things are reverse. Japanese girls would prefer white guys. Marrying other Asians is not seen as cool since these used to be colonies of Japan. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. And the Japanese do not like foreigners, period. The ones they dislike the least are white people. I have seen Japanese treat Chinese and other Asians badly. Especially those living there long term. But again it depends.

In the Philippines, the families that run the country are almost pure Spaniards ( Europeans!) and they own most everything. Most Western guys I know who want to marry educated Filipinas can and do so. Even the daughter of President Ramos was married to a white American last time I checked. It is just that most white guys there do not want to get involved with the educated ladies because they are such a pain in the a## when it comes to courting. It takes such a long time. And they are on a short trip and want to be in bed with a girl asap.

Some people consider the Philippines to be a Western country- Christian, English-speaking and of a very mixed population comprising every race imaginable.

Race and nationality are generally not in the Filipino's brain as a rule and is not important. If you are a good person, that is usually what matters. That and the money. Most people there are still very poor. The middle class ones are few and far in between. And the rich are only in a few hundreds.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ladislav,
I heard that Philippines is poor because of corruption, stupidity and inefficiency. But what about Thailand? Why is it poor? For the same reasons?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Pretty much, they mirror each other. Although I think the Philippines is actually worse in some respects, especially corruption.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

WWu777 wrote:Ladislav,
I heard that Philippines is poor because of corruption, stupidity and inefficiency. But what about Thailand? Why is it poor? For the same reasons?
Thailand is not poor at all. It is a very prosperous country with good soil and enough food for everybody. But it was very rural and people lived an OK life until the 'progress' came and they had to industrialize. Land speculation began, the Chinese minority held on to its industrial/factory-running position, the very rich ethic Thais stayed landowners ( not paying any tax) while peasants were simply left behind in the whole boom and had to go to cities to look for work. Taxes are low or non existent, the government is corrupt and only thinks about itself, but even if it did want to think about others, it would still not be taxing the rich to distribute the wealth more evenly. To do so would invite serious consequences.
The peasant masses cannot afford anything now, they stopped being friendly and cooperative of each other and believe in obtaining as much cash as possible since the land does not give them enough. But they have no means of doing it, so they steal, cheat, lie, etc.
Add to it the cultureof not seeking education ( unlike in the Philippines where education and degrees are a religion) and you have very uneducated masses who are only fit for manual work and who do not even think of school. On top of that there is also the culture of self congratulation- We are the greatest! Our country is the best in Asia because we were not colonized, Thailand is number 1! and you have the recipe for what you have now.
Plus as in most tropical countries, people are lax, slow and lazy because of the climate.

Any political/economic state of a country is the result of many causes, not only one cause.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

WWu777 wrote:Ladislav,
I heard that Philippines is poor because of corruption, stupidity and inefficiency.
Most tropical countries are poor because the people in them are not as hardworking as people in colder countries. The tropical countries that are rich either have a natural resource such as oil or a population composed of recent immigrants from the North ( or colder regions) - Taiwan, Singapore, Australia.
The Catholic religion which teaches that people are sinners and that money is the root of all evil ( unless it goes into the coffers of the church) and that promote enormous families and prohibits birth control does not help much in creating efficient and technologically advanced societies.
You can argue that France is Catholic too but again, their Catholicism is not as strong as their other cultural traditions.