Taiwan ID Card and China travel

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Taiwan ID Card and China travel

Post by Falcon »

So, I'd like to get a:

(1) Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents (台胞證, = 台灣居民來往大陸通行證)
(2) Taiwanese National Identification Card (國民身分證), so I can quality for (1)

I would like to know how to register for these documents in Taiwan, and how long they take. My goal is to be able to travel in mainland China more easily than a U.S. passport would allow me to, since I would get to have longer stays, lower fees, and so on. I had traveled using only my U.S. passport in China, and that is more troublesome compared to having Taiwanese documents.

As a Taiwanese American born in the U.S., I have both U.S. and Taiwanese citizenship. Since both of my parents were born in Taiwan, that also qualifies me for Taiwanese citizenship. This is because Taiwan follows a jus sanguinis policy in which children of Taiwanese citizens also quality for citizenship.

My parents had gotten a Taiwanese passport (臺灣護照) for me several years ago, which has never been used and is in their possession. I currently am an ROC "National without household registration" (無戶籍國民), and would like to go to Taiwan later this year or next year to register for a Taiwanese National Identification Card (國民身分證). I will use my relatives' addresses in Taiwan. This will then allow to get the Taibao Zheng (台胞證) for China. The question is what I will need and how to prepare for getting these documents.

Thanks a lot to Winston, Rock, and Momopi in advance.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I'd suggest contacting a Chinese travel agency and discuss it with them. They probably deal with this kind of stuff often.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Taiwan ID Card and China travel

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:So, I'd like to get a:

I would like to know how to register for these documents in Taiwan, and how long they take. My goal is to be able to travel in mainland China more easily than a U.S. passport would allow me to, since I would get to have longer stays, lower fees, and so on. I had traveled using only my U.S. passport in China, and that is more troublesome compared to having Taiwanese documents.

As a Taiwanese American born in the U.S., I have both U.S. and Taiwanese citizenship. Since both of my parents were born in Taiwan, that also qualifies me for Taiwanese citizenship. This is because Taiwan follows a jus sanguinis policy in which children of Taiwanese citizens also quality for citizenship.

My parents had gotten a Taiwanese passport (臺灣護照) for me several years ago, which has never been used and is in their possession. I currently am an ROC "National without household registration" (無戶籍國民), and would like to go to Taiwan later this year or next year to register for a Taiwanese National Identification Card (國民身分證). I will use my relatives' addresses in Taiwan. This will then allow to get the Taibao Zheng (台胞證) for China. The question is what I will need and how to prepare for getting these documents.

Thanks a lot to Winston, Rock, and Momopi in advance.
I'm not sure but I believe you won't qualify for a 身分證 until u reside in Taiwan for a year or two (perhaps w/min 183 days on Taiwan soil for each year(s)). I can check for u when I go back (perhaps in April). I doubt the travel agency will know specifics on this. Best to check with the relevant government authority which again I can find out for you.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

BTW, Winston got (1) but I don't think he has (2) yet. Is that correct Winston?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

How did Winston get his Taibao Zheng (Mainland Travel Permit) without having a Taiwan ID card first? I thought that was a prerequisite.

This might be good news then. If I can get a Taibao Zheng without having to apply for the residency ID card, then I'll just go straight for the Taibao Zheng. Once I get it, Winston and I can go have fun in China together. :D
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

Rumor has it falcon is coming to the Phillies...perhaps to drag Winston out of angeles all the way to China? :P
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:How did Winston get his Taibao Zheng (Mainland Travel Permit) without having a Taiwan ID card first? I thought that was a prerequisite.

This might be good news then. If I can get a Taibao Zheng without having to apply for the residency ID card, then I'll just go straight for the Taibao Zheng. Once I get it, Winston and I can go have fun in China together. :D
Perhaps I'm wrong but I was under impression that he didn't have the Taiwan ID. I will text him now to confirm. Keep in mind, average response time for Winston to text messages is 12 to 48 hours, lol. I remember Ling Ling used to keep nagging at him to answer his phone when it rang or respond immediately when someone texted until he barked back at her once "我不是手機的奴隸!". At least that's what she told me when I complained to her about how difficult it is to get a response from him sometimes or how he will drop out of text convos before we have agreed on critical details such as meeting time or place.

Anyway, I just texted him asking whether or not he has a Taiwan ID. It's 3:34 pm Saturday afternoon here. I will let u know after I get an answer from him.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

He replied, a record turnaround time, lol!

Anyway, my bad, I was under the wrong impression. He already does have a Taiwan ID.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:

I have a Taiwan ID card. My parents got it for me by applying for it at a government office using my birth certificate. I got my China passbook from a travel agency. Any travel agent can get one for you if you are a Taiwanese citizen and have a Taiwanese passport.

I didn't have to live in Taiwan for a certain amount of time to get an ID card though. Falcon should ask his parents about it. This is all I know. My parents did it all. If you need any more specifics, I can ask my parents about it. They just need to apply at a city government office.

If you just want to go to China, all you need is a Taiwan passport, which you said you have right? Just get it from your parents and take it to a travel agency to get the China passbook. The passbook needs to be stamped with a 3 month permit before you enter China. You can get the stamp at the travel agent or at the airport.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:He replied, a record turnaround time, lol!

Anyway, my bad, I was under the wrong impression. He already does have a Taiwan ID.
I usually reply to you fast. It's just that when I was depressed in Taiwan, I would go into my own world and forget my cell phone messages cause no girls I liked were contacting me, so I didn't bother.

But again, modern life is complicated. There are too many little things to keep track of. Cell phone texts is just one of them.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:

I have a Taiwan ID card. My parents got it for me by applying for it at a government office using my birth certificate. I got my China passbook from a travel agency. Any travel agent can get one for you if you are a Taiwanese citizen and have a Taiwanese passport.

I didn't have to live in Taiwan for a certain amount of time to get an ID card though. Falcon should ask his parents about it. This is all I know. My parents did it all. If you need any more specifics, I can ask my parents about it. They just need to apply at a city government office.

If you just want to go to China, all you need is a Taiwan passport, which you said you have right? Just get it from your parents and take it to a travel agency to get the China passbook. The passbook needs to be stamped with a 3 month permit before you enter China. You can get the stamp at the travel agent or at the airport.
Perhaps it's different for those without Taiwan birth certificate. Falcon, were you born in Taiwan?

I know that in my case, if I become a naturalized Taiwan citizen which at this stage would take me about 2-3 months, I would need one or two years to get a Taiwan ID even tho I could get a Taiwan Passport almost immediately. If Falcon was born in US, he may still get different treatment than me tho due to his parents being Chinese born in Taiwan and/or due to being ethnic Han Chinese.

So Falcon, lay out your specifics and myself or Winston can check to see exactly what u need to do in order to achieve all your goals in OP.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

- I was born in California, so I'm in a different situation than Winston is. Therefore I'm a native-born U.S. citizen. I still have my U.S. birth certificate.
- I currently do all my travels as a U.S. citizen on a U.S. passport. The "Place of Birth" field on my passport says "California, USA."
- I do have a Taiwanese passport, which my parents had gotten for me 5 years ago. That's the only Taiwanese documentation I currently have, and have ever had. I have no Taiwanese school records, birth certificates, former Taiwanese ID, and so on.
- The total time I have spent in Taiwan during my entire life is only about 2 weeks (15 days or so).
- As for different treatment, I'm sure I would get that, since my parents are both born in Taipei, Taiwan. Having direct lineal relatives who are ROC nationals will speed things up.
- I'm asking my relatives in Taiwan now, since when I asked my parents, they weren't able to help much.
- My parents rarely spend time in Taiwan, so their Taiwan Resident ID cards have already expired many years ago. They are both naturalized U.S. citizens.
- My aunt is concerned about me having to serve in the ROC military if I do get an ID card, but I don't think it's going to happen if I don't stay in Taiwan long-term after getting my ID.
Last edited by Falcon on March 16th, 2013, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:He replied, a record turnaround time, lol!

I usually reply to you fast. It's just that when I was depressed in Taiwan, I would go into my own world and forget my cell phone messages cause no girls I liked were contacting me, so I didn't bother.

But again, modern life is complicated. There are too many little things to keep track of. Cell phone texts is just one of them.
You let women affect your life that much, jeez. And I thought I was bad...
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Falcon wrote:- I was born in California, so I'm in a different situation than Winston is. Therefore I'm a native-born U.S. citizen. I still have my U.S. birth certificate.
- I currently do all my travels as a U.S. citizen on a U.S. passport. The "Place of Birth" field on my passport says "California, USA."
- The total time I have spent in Taiwan during my entire life is only about 2 weeks (15 days or so).
- As for different treatment, I'm sure I would get that, since my parents are both born in Taipei, Taiwan. Having direct lineal relatives who are ROC nationals will speed things up.
- I'm asking my relatives in Taiwan now, since when I asked my parents, they weren't able to help much.
- My parents rarely spend time in Taiwan, so their Taiwan Resident ID cards have already expired many years ago. They are both naturalized U.S. citizens.
- My aunt is concerned about me having to serve in the ROC military if I do get an ID card, but I don't think it's going to happen if I don't stay in Taiwan long-term after getting my ID.
Have you already applied for the citizenship?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

eurobrat wrote:Have you already applied for the citizenship?
Actually, I just realized that Taiwan recognizes "nationals" and "residents," so in practice, there's no concept of "citizenship."

I am a Taiwanese national because both of my parents are Taiwanese nationals. But I am not a resident, and have not applied to be one yet. Non-resident nationals are treated like foreigners (non-resident non-nationals) in that they can't work, vote, open bank accounts, and receive government benefits. They also have to follow the same entry/exit immigration procedures as foreigners.

My parents are not Taiwanese residents anymore because haven't lived in Taiwan for many years. However, they can get new ID cards right away if they provide past documentation. For me, getting a Taiwanese ID card would be more complicated because I never:

(1) Had a Taiwanese ID card before
(2) Resided in Taiwan (I have only been there on brief visits, totaling less than one month)
(3) Been to school in Taiwan, or received any benefits from the Taiwanese government
(4) Was born in Taiwan (I was born in the U.S.)