How would a guy like me be perceived in China? Or SE Asia?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
lovemehate
Freshman Poster

How would a guy like me be perceived in China? Or SE Asia?

Post by lovemehate »

First, I don't care about what people think, however I am interested in how other cultures view people based off first impressions/appearances?
there's a link to one of my photos cause, well....i think it suites the topic, but about me:

30, half white, half Spanish. 5'8.
I have love tattoos and piercings BUT (here comes the shocker) I have never done drugs in my life, and I don't drink, and I HATE parties.

I ask cause in 2015 am sure ill take off to China to teach/live and am sure rather i want to or not meet my wife :p
Yes I hate American girls with a passion , and plan to never ever ever ever live here (other then visit family).

I mean I listen to rock, and all that sure, I have a bad boy appearance , but am really not at all...I do play in Metal bands time to time when I travel in Latin America , but am the guy sitting in the corner you had no idea was going to play, and the person who never went to the after-parties ...

yeah enough with that crap, I really have low-self-esteem but that's another story for another day.

so? would they all shun me? am I automatically NOT dating/marriage material? how closed minded are they ?

thanks if you can add to the subject!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

This "rocker" look is popular among upper-middle class university students in Latin America, and parts of Europe. I'm thinking you'll be much of a better fit in Latin America (Colombia, Brazil) and Europe (Spain, France, Italy).

To be honest, many Chinese can be quite judgmental on first impressions, but this really depends on which part of China you're going to, and what socio-economic classes you'll be mostly interacting with. The urban upper and middle classes will be more open-minded, as this look is also gaining popularity among certain Chinese youths.

Where in China will you be teaching?

Also you've said that Latin America is not for you. Which parts of Latin America have you been to?
lovemehate
Freshman Poster

Post by lovemehate »

All over mexico, mexico city most of the surrounding states for a short time, I was in the main city for 3 years
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

no offense but why the tie?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:no offense but why the tie?
Because he's half Spanish, you fashion-blind Yankee! LOL :P :P :P
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:no offense but why the tie?
Because he's half Spanish, you fashion-blind Yankee! LOL :P :P :P
He also said he's half white,
"30, half white, half Spanish. 5'8.

Last I checked I thought the Spanish were white/caucasian?[/quote]
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Asian women like the businessman types the most and rappers the least. Wearing a tie and dress shoes promotes a good image in Asia like it does in most countries. In the Philippines, a simple t-shirt and shorts will put you on the cutting edge of style for the next 50 years. Tattoos and piercings won't help you much but they are becoming more popular I think. You definately don't want to look adrogenous if your a heterosexual in SE Asia, that's likely to get you some unwanted attention.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Taco wrote:Asian women like the businessman types the most and rappers the least. Wearing a tie and dress shoes promotes a good image in Asia like it does in most countries. Tattoos and piercings won't help you much but they are becoming more popular I think. You definately don't want to look adrogenous if your a heterosexual in SE Asia, that's sending the wrong message.
Overall I do agree, although I would suggest being more specific; "Asian" is a tremendously broad category! For example, businessman types would be well received in urban China, though many rural Chinese women would feel like they're incompatible due to the large socioeconomic divide, gold-diggers excluded.

As for the androgynous look, many Taiwanese and South Korean youth like that look for whatever reasons. Since I make myself look more masculine (shorter hair and athletic build, like a typical Filipino or Thai young guy) and not androgynous at all, they would sometimes say I look "old," and would look much younger with bed hair and all that nonsense. Winston can testify to this. Many Southeast Asians, such as Filipinos and Indonesians, still mostly eschew that NE Asian pop star androgynous look.
lovemehate
Freshman Poster

Post by lovemehate »

well, if you must know, that was a wedding I was at, (why I had the tie) so your can tell am not formal at all, def not for fashion.

I dress in shirt/jeans when am not at work.

Am more interested in going to China and how people would see me there,./

and yes technically Spanish people are "white" but when you live in America?

white takes on a whole new meaning, so if you really want to nit-pick the hell out of what am saying, and not just get the gist of it, am 50percent European , 10 percent Irish, 10 percent native American and idk f***ing 5percent black?

point is, I look Spanish more then anything.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Guys, how would I be perceived wherever?

CON USAR LA ROPA MIA:

DESNUDO SIN ROPA:
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:Last I checked I thought the Spanish were white/caucasian?
True. Maybe he meant half Latino, half Caucasian?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Oh, you'll be very popular here. Just stick to the coastal cities where folk are less traditional.

I've seen a few girls with tattoos here in Guangzhou, and there are plenty of "bad girls" who want a "bad boy".

Before you come here, get a TESOL/CELTA qualification.

Oh, and girls might not see your tattoos anyway - walk round here with bare arms and you're mosquito fodder!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
lovemehate
Freshman Poster

Post by lovemehate »

lol at the photos. not in a rude way but if your trolling me....that was good.

well I like to show my tattoos off cause they all tell a story and I literately believe in wearing yourself on your sleeves , course I would cover them at work (assuming a school) .
I really don't want to be popular am very very anti-social when it comes to meeting new people in public.

In fact its something I need in a girl (I cannot, will not date girls that go to bars and clubs for fun, that's single life stuff)
or date girls that have 10000 guy friends, thats just sicking .....
do you still believe Am from Dallas, Texas?

this Is why I have to leave this place as often as I Can, and hoping to never return (other then visit family)

don't care about hooking up and getting laid.....

just want to meet a partner in life. should not be asking for too much, but if you lived in America you would understand why this has to be the hardest thing you could possibly do .....
xiongmao wrote: Before you come here, get a TESOL/CELTA qualification.
I was going for my TEFL any reason you would suggest CELTA?

never mind , just googled it, I think in my case starting with the TEFL would be best, then later after some experience and practice trying for CELTA .

Ill try to see what schools in China will hire me on, I don't think I Can trust asking the TEFL schools, they just want that sell....

but yeah, other question, In China (or SE Asia) what do girls like in a guy physically ? I know everyone has their "thing" and it may sound like a dumb question....Its shocked me to see what passes/fails for attractive around the world.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

E_Irizarry wrote:Guys, how would I be perceived wherever?

CON USAR LA ROPA MIA:

DESNUDO SIN ROPA:
I knew that was you

E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

eurobrat wrote:
E_Irizarry wrote:Guys, how would I be perceived wherever?

CON USAR LA ROPA MIA:

DESNUDO SIN ROPA:
I knew that was you

That's nuts that you know who Mr. Pregnant is. Damn the joke is through! LOL
I actually met him in midtown Manhattan a year and a half ago by accident.
He didn't have his crazy outfit on like he usually does when he wh.ores for
attention in public.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!