Craigslist: Your Solution to Living Abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Craigslist: Your Solution to Living Abroad?

Post by gibraltar »

There is lots of talk about starting online businesses, moving abroad, etc. But have you considered using Craigslist to free up some cash for your travels?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/factsheet

Craigslist gets 50 billion page views per month! In most cases, you only need 1k to take a trip to latin america or the carribean. If you want to visit Asia or Europe, then you probably need 2k to 5k.

5 Steps to Making Craigslist Work

1. Go through your home and find valuable stuff that you rarely use (tv, video games, computers, artwork, collectibles, jewelry)

2. Post an ad on Craigslist with a good title, clear pictures, and a phone number to reach you at.

3. Respond to the offers and meet up to sell the item.

4. If an item doesn't sell after 3 postings, then donate it or try eBay.

5. Rinse and repeat.

Not only have I created a ton of free space in my home, but I get an extra $500 to 1k per month for travel expenses.

The one positive about being in the USA is we live next to some of the biggest consumers on the planet. It's easy to sell stuff to Americans. We love to consume.

More tips:

http://manvsdebt.com/craigslist-sell-yo ... s-or-less/

http://www.moneycrashers.com/craigslist-selling-tips/

I will be happy when a member reports selling his stuff on Craigslist and earning enough money to fund his dream vacation! Let's make those success stories happen!
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

I tried Craigslist in the USA, and I tried Craigslist here in Mexico. Back in the USA, I only had one sale when I sold my TV, and good riddance. Here in Mexico, I haven't had any luck on Craigslist at all.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Post by gibraltar »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:I tried Craigslist in the USA, and I tried Craigslist here in Mexico. Back in the USA, I only had one sale when I sold my TV, and good riddance. Here in Mexico, I haven't had any luck on Craigslist at all.
Craigslist is for the USA. If you live in Mexico, try Mercado Libre.

http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

gibraltar wrote:
All_That_Is_Man wrote:I tried Craigslist in the USA, and I tried Craigslist here in Mexico. Back in the USA, I only had one sale when I sold my TV, and good riddance. Here in Mexico, I haven't had any luck on Craigslist at all.

Wait, wait, wait. But this entire thread was for the purpose of having a Craigslist business while living outside of the USA, abroad, right?
Now we're confused.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Craigslist worked well for me, I got rid of all my stuff before going abroad. Now I only have my clothes and a laptop. Amazing enough, that's all I really need :)
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Post by gibraltar »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:
gibraltar wrote:

Wait, wait, wait. But this entire thread was for the purpose of having a Craigslist business while living outside of the USA, abroad, right?
Now we're confused.
Some countries will be harder to sell stuff than Craigslist. Just giving people options for selling things online. You don't have to post items on Craigslist. Some people use it for generating leads for lawyers, dentists, real estate agents, etc.

Mercado Libre is the latin american version of Craigslist. You can basically do the same things. It's a large classifieds ads site. Craigslist is only popular in anglo speaking countries.
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Post by gibraltar »

have2fly wrote:Craigslist worked well for me, I got rid of all my stuff before going abroad. Now I only have my clothes and a laptop. Amazing enough, that's all I really need :)
Great success story. Thank you for sharing!
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Post by gibraltar »

Another huge reason to use Craigslist: Lead generation

Go to the services section in your city and you will notice tons of local businesses advertising their services.

Now there are two ways to go about this:

1. Contact the companies advertising and tell them you can get them more leads. Charge a flat rate fee or negotiate a per lead agreement.

2. Find local companies in your city and persuade them to advertise on Craigslist. Agree on the payment terms and start posting ads.

There is an art to Craigslist but generally people like images and calling phone numbers.

Consider creating a special 1-800 number to track calls that way you know how many leads your ads drive.

You can do this from ANYWHERE in the world.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I've sold stuff on CL and Ebay. I'll be getting rid of things I would like to keep but at this point in my life, I need to move forward.

Will be using Ebay, CL and Amazon Marketplace, keeping track of all if it on my blog.

Stay tuned.
Maker55
Junior Poster

Post by Maker55 »

You guys who use Craigslist must be suicidal.

Craigslist has turned into a haven for murders.
You're where you're at in life because of your thoughts.

What you think about the most is what you will eventually manifest in your life.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

You guys who use Craigslist must be suicidal.

Craigslist has turned into a haven for murders.
Ahaha :) Living a life is dangerous in general, I heard people die :) Craigslist is great, I actually sold my furniture to a fellow Russian immigrant and he even paid me more than I asked. He also bought more stuff than I advertised. His hot wife loved my hot bed, so they took it as well.