Are some countries more dangerous than they look?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Are some countries more dangerous than they look?

Post by Cornfed »

Several years ago, I spent just under six months in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, teaching English. Of the 20 or so young Western men I knew by name there (mainly English guys for some reason), three of them that I know about died within about 18 months of my leaving. One was murdered, another presumably died in a traffic accident and one appears to have died of some kind of overdose, although I really don't know. Of course, more may have died that I don't know about. This seems a bit grim. Maybe there is something about the situation that is not good for young men. Perhaps this is something that young men should take into account before going to certain countries.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Are some countries more dangerous than they look?

Post by Rock »

Cornfed wrote:Several years ago, I spent just under six months in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, teaching English. Of the 20 or so young Western men I knew by name there (mainly English guys for some reason), three of them that I know about died within about 18 months of my leaving. One was murdered, another presumably died in a traffic accident and one appears to have died of some kind of overdose, although I really don't know. Of course, more may have died that I don't know about. This seems a bit grim. Maybe there is something about the situation that is not good for young men. Perhaps this is something that young men should take into account before going to certain countries.
I believe certain countries may appear safer than they actually are. For example, if I contrast certain SE Asian countries with certain LatAm/Carribean countries, I 'feel' much safer in the former. In the latter, the danger factor is more in your face (the way people look, move and act, warnings from locals not to go out and about at night, etc.). But in the former, it's kinda more of a passive aggressive brand. SE Asians tend to look and act non-threatening - small, meek, peaceful, and passive. But it's very easy to fall into traps there. Act too aggressive and insult local sensitivities and u may get suddenly mobbed and beaten badly. Get involved in the wrong kinda business which creates unwelcom competition and u can end up a statistic. Fail to resist the temptation when someone offers u drugs and see how u like a local prison and/or being extorted. Fall for the wrong lass and she may bankrupt u and send u to an early grave in the process.

If u look at the actual stats on foreingers in Thai or Phils vs. places like DR, Colombia, and perhaps Brazil, the sitation actually appears more dangerous in SE Asia. Just read a few issues of one of the Pattaya rags. Tradgedy on a weekly basis.

As for Cambodia, keep in mind virtually all of the more educated and middle class or above people were virtually wiped out in the 70s. And there's a decent chance that any older person you see there today took part in the killings.

SE Asia seems to work best in the LT for thosse foreigners who keep to themselves, choose their friends and girls very carefully, have a calm and mild temperment, read people well through body language, are culturally sensitive, and never let their anger and emotion get out of hand.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Rock wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Several years ago, I spent just under six months in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, teaching English. Of the 20 or so young Western men I knew by name there (mainly English guys for some reason), three of them that I know about died within about 18 months of my leaving. One was murdered, another presumably died in a traffic accident and one appears to have died of some kind of overdose, although I really don't know. Of course, more may have died that I don't know about. This seems a bit grim. Maybe there is something about the situation that is not good for young men. Perhaps this is something that young men should take into account before going to certain countries.
I believe certain countries may appear safer than they actually are. For example, if I contrast certain SE Asian countries with certain LatAm/Carribean countries, I 'feel' much safer in the former. In the latter, the danger factor is more in your face (the way people look, move and act, warnings from locals not to go out and about at night, etc.). But in the former, it's kinda more of a passive aggressive brand. SE Asians tend to look and act non-threatening - small, meek, peaceful, and passive. But it's very easy to fall into traps there. Act too aggressive and insult local sensitivities and u may get suddenly mobbed and beaten badly. Get involved in the wrong kinda business which creates unwelcom competition and u can end up a statistic. Fail to resist the temptation when someone offers u drugs and see how u like a local prison and/or being extorted. Fall for the wrong lass and she may bankrupt u and send u to an early grave in the process.

If u look at the actual stats on foreingers in Thai or Phils vs. places like DR, Colombia, and perhaps Brazil, the sitation actually appears more dangerous in SE Asia. Just read a few issues of one of the Pattaya rags. Tradgedy on a weekly basis.

As for Cambodia, keep in mind virtually all of the more educated and middle class or above people were virtually wiped out in the 70s. And there's a decent chance that any older person you see there today took part in the killings.

SE Asia seems to work best in the LT for thosse foreigners who keep to themselves, choose their friends and girls very carefully, have a calm and mild temperment, read people well through body language, are culturally sensitive, and never let their anger and emotion get out of hand.

That is the correct formula...but most do not listen....
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Rock wrote:SE Asia seems to work best in the LT for thosse foreigners who keep to themselves, choose their friends and girls very carefully, have a calm and mild temperment, read people well through body language, are culturally sensitive, and never let their anger and emotion get out of hand.
So you have to not be a YOUNG MAN then? Well, that is what I thought. We should be listing places you can be a young man and still survive.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Cornfed wrote:
Rock wrote:SE Asia seems to work best in the LT for thosse foreigners who keep to themselves, choose their friends and girls very carefully, have a calm and mild temperment, read people well through body language, are culturally sensitive, and never let their anger and emotion get out of hand.
So you have to not be a YOUNG MAN then? Well, that is what I thought. We should be listing places you can be a young man and still survive.
What r u talking about? I've seen plenty of very young guys who fit in well - some are shy geeky types, some naturally vibe with at least some aspects of local cultures, some are just very good at bonding with locals, reading them well, and empathizing with them, and others maybe Buddhist enthusiasts or even martial artists.

OTH, I've seen a lot of middle-to-old agers who clash with local sensitivities big-time. Many dress like disgusting slobs or even show-off their saggy overweight tattoo laden bodies, get very drunk on a daily/nightly basis, talk down to locals, never bother to learn the languages, and get into arguments and fights over silly reasons. After all, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, lol.

http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/extreme/e ... iland.html
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

While SE Asia might be just as dangerous if not more overall than many parts of Latam/Caribbean, I still do believe the risk of being mugged and robbed while walking in a random area of a larger city is generally a lot lower in SE Asia.

Asian youth are less likely to violently attack and rob a random stranger than are their counterparts in Latam/Caribbean. Again it's active vs. passive theme. Asians are more subtle and mysterious, lol.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Rock wrote:While SE Asia might be just as dangerous if not more overall than many parts of Latam/Caribbean, I still do believe the risk of being mugged and robbed while walking in a random area of a larger city is generally a lot lower in SE Asia.

Asian youth are less likely to violently attack and rob a random stranger than are their counterparts in Latam/Caribbean. Again it's active vs. passive theme. Asians are more subtle and mysterious, lol.
Here's my experience... Rio de Janeiro was definitely more dangerous than let's say Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. In Rio, after hours, we took verified taxis from downtown to the tourist sections & suburbs and never walked under small bridges and avoided areas in the valley of a Favela, even if it wasn't in a Favela in itself, as stray bullets would often fall there. After hours, we always went out in groups and my ex-GF and I never walked on Copacabana beach after sunset. In contrast, I was never scared at night in KL or Bangkok. Granted, I wasn't exactly cruising for trouble in SEA but it didn't appear like trouble was ubiquitous, like just around the corner.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

In the Caribbean you have to be street smart ... no flashy jewelry, phones, cameras etc, they'll snatch it & run or put a weapon on you & take it, then run. That's about it. If someone does get murdered it's usually drug or money related, or a domestic dispute gone real bad. Guys tend to fist fight & have brawls over women & I have seen women fight over men too. Jamaica has the most agressive women in the Caribbean... they will beat another woman over a man.

Venezuela is almost the same. I had to sleep on the beach a few nights due to hotels being booked solid & no one bothered me. I wasn't alone though. It was surreal waking up with sand in my hair & seeing crashing waves early in the morning,.. cars passing, people passing.

Turkey is really safe. I know this because I see girls walking home at 11pm til midnight alone. Most brawls are personal & domestic violence. It is dangerous only if you get involved with drug smugglers or human trafficers ... an American lady got killed & her body was dumped in Istanbul during the day. A car stopped & dumped a carpet over a bridge,.. her body was in it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... death.html The story is so fishy I think she got involved in some shady stuff.
I've also heard it's dangerous if you get arrested & end up in the police station,... the police can beat you, rob you, even rape you. But the police never go around harassing people, they are quite helpful & speak english well, just don't get arrested.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Renata wrote:In the Caribbean you have to be street smart ... no flashy jewelry, phones, cameras etc, they'll snatch it & run or put a weapon on you & take it, then run. That's about it. If someone does get murdered it's usually drug or money related, or a domestic dispute gone real bad. Guys tend to fist fight & have brawls over women & I have seen women fight over men too. Jamaica has the most agressive women in the Caribbean... they will beat another woman over a man.

Venezuela is almost the same. I had to sleep on the beach a few nights due to hotels being booked solid & no one bothered me. I wasn't alone though. It was surreal waking up with sand in my hair & seeing crashing waves early in the morning,.. cars passing, people passing.

Turkey is really safe. I know this because I see girls walking home at 11pm til midnight alone. Most brawls are personal & domestic violence. It is dangerous only if you get involved with drug smugglers or human trafficers ... an American lady got killed & her body was dumped in Istanbul during the day. A car stopped & dumped a carpet over a bridge,.. her body was in it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... death.html The story is so fishy I think she got involved in some shady stuff.
I've also heard it's dangerous if you get arrested & end up in the police station,... the police can beat you, rob you, even rape you. But the police never go around harassing people, they are quite helpful & speak english well, just don't get arrested.
One time I almost got arrested in Davao City at a outdoor club because two Pinays moved away from me like I had a disease. So I retailiated by doing a perfect 80s movie rendition of pouring soda over a chick's head slowly soiling her whole entire outfit.

She ran to the police and they didn't arrest me, but they told me to get into the back of the police vehicle. So I did as there was another big person there ready to fight me if I didn't comply so to get out of it easily, I opted to go to the police station voluntarily.

They asked me for my passport, and I said I didn't have it on me (I lied; I had it on me). I gave them a fake name and a fake US Passport number, they put me in the system and released me. That's it ROTLMAO
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

E_Irizarry you're a wildman lol but that was smart giving them random info ... I thread lightly when I'm in foreign territory 8)

France may be dangerous only if you get into brawl. Long ago there was a law called Crime passionnel or Crime of passion. If you killed someone in the spur of the moment out of anger, it was understood that it wasn't pre-meditated & you were acquitted. The law has been revised but this situation is still the same. Kill or assault due to sudden impulse, rage or heartbreak & you'll get off or just get 2 yrs imprisioned. Imagine getting into a pub brawl & some french guy stabs you.. "oh well he's dead, I didn't mean to,.. it just happened" :?
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -