I Just Moved To The Philippines

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, it's crazy here, and Guangzhou is perhaps the craziest city of them all.

Actually people do line up for the metro, but as soon as the train actually arrives it's every man, woman and child for themselves.

I saw people fighting to get onto a bus, and the bus had plenty of room for them all. I should have videoed them, but I have a feeling I'll see it happen again.

It's still irritating to be at the store checkout and some asshole barges in and tries to pay for his shopping before you've even paid for yours. I just shrug my shoulders. It's no use complaining, it's just the norm here.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

I actually have always felt more at home in Asian countries, even though I stick out like sore thumb. I never really fit in at home anyway.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The_Adventurer wrote:@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

I actually have always felt more at home in Asian countries, even though I stick out like sore thumb. I never really fit in at home anyway.
Interestingly enough, I, as an Asian person, have never felt like I fit in the United States either. I've always felt more free and comfortable whenever I've visited Korea or some other part of Asia, than I did at home. I felt more free and comfortable in my 'own skin' over there. I think part of that has to do with how 'racialized' and 'oppressive' the U.S. is, especially towards Asian men. I think Black men, too, suffer the same thing as well: the feeling of alienation and isolation due to the hostile racial atmosphere in the United States.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

zboy1 wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

Interestingly enough, I, as an Asian person, have never felt like I fit in the United States either. I've always felt more free and comfortable whenever I've visited Korea or some other part of Asia, than I did at home. I felt more free and comfortable in my 'own skin' over there. I think part of that has to do with how 'racialized' and 'oppressive' the U.S. is, especially towards Asian men. I think Black men, too, suffer the same thing as well: the feeling of alienation and isolation due to the hostile racial atmosphere in the United States.
Here's a good example of the 'racialized and oppressive atmosphere' of the U.S., I was talking about:

Segregated Prom: Wilcox County, Ga. High School Students Set Up First Integrated Prom
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... ostpopular
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Japan and Korea would have prepared you for life in China, I'm sure. However, for anyone that's never lived in Asia before going to China is like landing on the moon. I can't remember how many times I was left scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Interesting to read you guys talk about the huge culture shock when first landing in China. When I was in Guangzhou, I didn't experience any of that feeling of having landed on a different planet. Sure it was not easy if not out right feeling of helplessness as you can't read/understand signs around you, nor can you function normally without any chinese, but other than that, I didn't feel any of that culture shock. Or could that be to the fact that I also feel more at ease whenever I'm outside of Canada? Whether it be Brazil, Thailand, the Phililppines, Hong Kong or China, I have always felt more at ease in those places than in boring Canada. Go figure...
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Taco wrote:
I live in Cebu province, home of the horniest women on this planet.
I've dated women from Mindanao and Luzon, as well as Cebu. It ain't just Cebu province :)
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

davewe wrote:
Taco wrote:
I live in Cebu province, home of the horniest women on this planet.
I've dated women from Mindanao and Luzon, as well as Cebu. It ain't just Cebu province :)
Well maybe you can kindly rank these provinces according to the sexual desire of their females.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Taco's big update is worth a re-read.

I'm slowly (well quickly) losing my mind here in Southern China. If the younger me had come here I'd have lost my mind already. Mosquitoes, viruses, rain, pollution, shit and piss in the streets, dogs, flying cockroaches, it will all drive you mad. Plus I haven't mentioned Chinese people with their spitting and other annoying habits. People here just don't give a shit about other people. Grrrr.

On top of that dating here is hard work. Sure, it's very easy to get dates. But finding good women worth marrying, well that's hard assed work in any country.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

I was worried I might have a difficult time finding my flight home at HK airport but I simply followed the trail of dysfunctional women through the airport. First, I noticed a 6'3'' chick(no boyfriend) motoring past airport security. After walking about a mile I realized I was at the correct departure gate when I saw another 6' chick doing aerobics in an attempt to not draw attention to herself with her scorpion tattooed boyfriend looking on. After travelling for 19 hours from HK I was finally home, the jet lag has lasted a week.

I'm not sure what culture shock is worse going to Cebu or coming back home. Its definitely a boner killing experience having to look at the women here again. I had so many teen virgins throwing themselves at me in Cebu it was ridiculous. I went for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and saw an all woman construction crew roofing a house, its so depressing. Also, having trouble getting used to western food after eating rice twice a day for two years, I miss the mangoes and pineapple already.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Taco wrote:After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

I was worried I might have a difficult time finding my flight home at HK airport but I simply followed the trail of dysfunctional women through the airport. First, I noticed a 6'3'' chick(no boyfriend) motoring past airport security. After walking about a mile I realized I was at the correct departure gate when I saw another 6' chick doing aerobics in an attempt to not draw attention to herself with her scorpion tattooed boyfriend looking on. After travelling for 19 hours from HK I was finally home, the jet lag has lasted a week.

I'm not sure what culture shock is worse going to Cebu or coming back home. Its definitely a boner killing experience having to look at the women here again. I had so many teen virgins throwing themselves at me in Cebu it was ridiculous. I went for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and saw an all woman construction crew roofing a house, its so depressing. Also, having trouble getting used to western food after eating rice twice a day for two years, I miss the mangoes and pineapple already.
sorry to hear. personally i get bored of philippines after a few months. there is something weird about having a wife or girlfriend in philippine it seems so inferior and cheap like its fun time and then i gotta go home eventually lol. it seems like if i had the same girl in america or an american girl id probably enjoy it more since it seemed more legit. call me crazy but philippines seems like a playground where unless it happens in america it seems like a dream and cheap. ideally for me id like to travel around to various countries including back home to america. but thats very expensive to d and you can't hold down a girlfriend if you do that so its either i keep my girlfriend or go run off a lone to thailand and japan and hit up bars which may sound like fun but its also lonely and humiliating.

Ive had the opposite luck financially as you. Im making so much money online im literally shocked. Like literally over 10,000 a month. I never dreamed i get this level. its legally grey area though so im putting most away. thats how i can afford to travel overseas 6 months a year but i dont get cocky and put savigns away.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Taco wrote:After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

sorry to hear. personally i get bored of philippines after a few months. there is something weird about having a wife or girlfriend in philippine it seems so inferior and cheap like its fun time and then i gotta go home eventually lol. it seems like if i had the same girl in america or an american girl id probably enjoy it more since it seemed more legit. call me crazy but philippines seems like a playground where unless it happens in america it seems like a dream and cheap. ideally for me id like to travel around to various countries including back home to america. but thats very expensive to d and you can't hold down a girlfriend if you do that so its either i keep my girlfriend or go run off a lone to thailand and japan and hit up bars which may sound like fun but its also lonely and humiliating.

Ive had the opposite luck financially as you. Im making so much money online im literally shocked. Like literally over 10,000 a month. I never dreamed i get this level. its legally grey area though so im putting most away. thats how i can afford to travel overseas 6 months a year but i dont get cocky and put savigns away.

I was just wondering what type of business do you have?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Taco where is home for you, UK?

Sorry you had to go home against your plans. I don't think you have to worry about your wife changing there though since she sounds mature.

In spite of all your warnings about how the USA and western world is collapsing, I think you have to agree that having that first world passport is still a huge asset as Ladislav has talked about before. The wealth and prosperity available per capita in Anglo world, even today, is enormous compared to what it is in Philippines.

As for making money here, I've heard the following -

- If you have combined skills, say an extra useful language (Korean, Chinese, Spanish, etc.) plus English and a practical skill like IT, you may be able to land a decent paying job. I know one local girl working in Makati call center who pulls in a net of around 80,000 pesos per month cus she has IT plus languages.

- You could consider doing bed spacing business near a school. That can be quite profitable. In your name, you could consider long-term lease which is cheaper way to go. In your wife's name, you could even buy something.

- If you can sock away around $70,000, you could consider buying a condo for rent in a hot area of Mega Manila and rent it out to foreigners. You might net around 20,000 Pesos a month doing that. That's not much money to live on in Mega Manila but would go a lot further in the province where you were staying before.

Hope you can adjust well to life back in your country and that your wife likes it there too.