A business idea for me and Dianne - Dating service?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Winston
Site Admin

A business idea for me and Dianne - Dating service?

Post by Winston »

Dear all,

I've talked with Dianne about this and she seems interested in it.

Since she knows a lot of nice Filipina girls from her friends and acquaintances, I figured we could start a small dating agency like Blossoms and Cebuanas does, only of course, we will have a small pool of girls.

So we will have to bank on quality and trust. I have a reputation that people trust, both online, through my 100 percent Ebay feedback rating, positive comments on the hospitality sites, references, etc. and so people would trust my girlfriend too naturally. This way, people would know that they aren't going to get greedy scam girls that are going to ask for money, and instead a sincere legitimate one.

I can have the girls that Dianne knows fill out a profile sheet much like the ones used by dating sites, and then just type it out online. The clients would just pay a small fee to join and write as many girls as they want. However, these girls are not girls who just want anybody. They have their preferences in terms of race and age. Some of her friends for example, only like Asian guys, not white guys. So it would be more honest than those girls on Blossoms who say they want anyone between 20 and 80 who is nice.

What do you think of this idea? Is it a good one?

However, I heard that marriage agencies are illegal in the Philippines. So how would we get around that? Would we have to make it a friendship/penpal site like Friendster? How do Blossoms.com and Cebuanas.com get around it? I think those sites are based in the US, so could we just use a US address?

Also, what do you think we should charge for such a service?

Finally, if we had such a service, how many of you would be interested in signing up as clients?

Thanks,
Winston
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

By the way, if we did this idea, what domain name do you think we should use? I was thinking something like:

http://www.filipinasyoucantrust.com

Or a spin off of Elena Petrova's Elenas Models site, like:

http://www.diannesmodels.com

What do you think? Any ideas?
James G
Freshman Poster
Location: Virginia, USA – Jakarta, Indonesia – Bangkok, Thailand

Post by James G »

I had a dating site back in the 90’s – it did pretty well and I ended up selling it

But the Asian Dating site heyday is long over – I did some pretty serious research on it a few years ago and again this year. It’s a Dog, unless you want to put a minimum of 10K USD a month into google adwords you won’t make any money

Also its illegal in the Philippines to run so called “marriage tours or Marriage introductions� businesses now. Attracting attention of the authorities in the country where you live is a big no-no unless you have allot of money or influence

~James
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

James Grey wrote:I had a dating site back in the 90’s – it did pretty well and I ended up selling it

But the Asian Dating site heyday is long over – I did some pretty serious research on it a few years ago and again this year. It’s a Dog, unless you want to put a minimum of 10K USD a month into google adwords you won’t make any money

Also its illegal in the Philippines to run so called “marriage tours or Marriage introductions� businesses now. Attracting attention of the authorities in the country where you live is a big no-no unless you have allot of money or influence

~James
Providing it's an on-line business it can be run from anywhere. Who's to say the servers need to be in PH?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

James Grey wrote:I had a dating site back in the 90’s – it did pretty well and I ended up selling it

~James
W: What if you make it under the guise of being a penpal or friends service, and not limit it to foreigners?
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

WWu777 wrote:W: What if you make it under the guise of being a penpal or friends service, and not limit it to foreigners?
That may be a good idea. Who's to say it even has to be 'for marriage'? That's up to the users after they meet of course. :-)
casablanca
Freshman Poster

PI Marriage Agencies

Post by casablanca »

According to wikipedia, marriage agencies in the Phillipines are illegal. So, I would consult with a local attorney to determine how to operate your "marriage agency" in a "legal" fashion.

I am no expert on the international marriage industry, but i would suspect that you should seek some kind of partnership with a western (or asian) based company. The purpose would be to bring together your supply with their demand. Since you already have links with A Foreign Affair on your web site, I would suggest starting with them.

Asian women are HOT!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well Dianne changed her mind about the idea. She said she doesn't want to be responsible if any of her friends met someone bad through her dating service, or if something went wrong during a meeting, as she would feel responsible.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

All the shit Dianne and her family dump on you...and you want to create a dating site so more guys can sign up for the express elevator to hell? You have truly gone off the deep end, Winston.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

met someone bad

nothing wrong with people having to do a criminal record check. You screen out the worst.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Still sounds like a good idea,Winston.
Travel Dude
Freshman Poster

Post by Travel Dude »

I ran a few dating agencies in the past (selling lady's profiles, placing personal ads for men etc etc) but by far the most profitabile are the ROMANCE TOURS.
Too bad you cannot run a nice romance tour service in Cebu or other cities. I know for a fact that romance agencies like TLC international (Latin tours) makes a $1000 per guy. They are so popular. Why not check into this.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Hey Winston, I wish I could hire you to do some detective work on my Pinay friend. She's gorgeous but she never talks about herself, so I know next to nothing else about her. It would be nice to see if she's respectable before I decide to visit her again.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Hero wrote:Hey Winston, I wish I could hire you to do some detective work on my Pinay friend. She's gorgeous but she never talks about herself, so I know next to nothing else about her. It would be nice to see if she's respectable before I decide to visit her again.
Where does she work and live? If you know where she works it's not hard to have someone local visit and see if she is there or not when she says she is.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Mr S wrote:
Hero wrote:Hey Winston, I wish I could hire you to do some detective work on my Pinay friend. She's gorgeous but she never talks about herself, so I know next to nothing else about her. It would be nice to see if she's respectable before I decide to visit her again.
Where does she work and live? If you know where she works it's not hard to have someone local visit and see if she is there or not when she says she is.
She claims to be a nursing student. Of course she didn't give me any details, like which school she goes to. I'll try to find out.